Leica SL or Hasselblad X1D

MVCG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, caissa said:

And about the EVF of the S1/R. Let's simply do a fact check, before anymore fuss is written about it. Everybody with reading skills can find in the web, that it has  5.76 megadots. Which is more than any other EVF currently built in any system. (And sony is far away from that, just as the X1D).

B)

DPReview published an article on 29 May 2018, showing that Sony had unveiled a higher-resolution OLED panel for EVFs. The link is here. The resolution is 5.76M dots. DPReview linked its Panasonic article about its EVF to the Sony release. That link is here. DPReview says that the Panasonics have "the highest-resolution EVFs we've yet encountered." I don't know what the reference to "reading skills" and "sony is far away from that" is all about.

Edited by Agent M10

On 2/14/2019 at 3:57 AM, Chaemono said:

It’s a bit of a strategic blunder to allow a major retailer to list a product as discontinued without having announced a follow up product first. It makes user nervous for sure. Let’s see if the manufacturer of unmanned flying vehicles supports the X1D roadmap or thinks given where Fuji set the price point that it’s economically not viable. My guess is that the X1D is burning cash. Maybe Vieri can shed some light. 

I have no connections with Hasselblad other than being a very happy user of the X1D, so I am afraid I can't share any light on anything, or share anything other than my personal opinion: for those interested, that is that we will see a successor of the X1D announced pretty soon. The fact that dealers (at least my dealer in Italy) is starting to get the 65mm and 80mm, and will soon get the 135mm (so they tell me), together with the new X1D's FW update, should be enough proof that the X1D project is alive and well :) In a very similar way, the death of the SL has been announced a billion times by someone or other on one forum or other, until the next peep - btw, there are less SL native lenses available than X1D ones, and yet the SL is still alive and well (as, I think, is the X1D). In short, internet rumours and forum thread about rumours are just a way to get traffic (for the rumor sites) and to spend idle time (for the forum chatters). Personally, I prefer to spend my time taking photos with the gear I have, which at the moment happens to be the X1D after three years of SL. Reassuringly enough, with either camera, no new announcement (or lack thereof) suddenly caused my gear to stop working, so if history teaches us anything I am pretty confident that this will keep being the case for the future.

Best regards,

Vieri

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Vieri:

I have no connections with Hasselblad other than being a very happy user of the X1D, so I am afraid I can't share any light on anything, or share anything other than my personal opinion: for those interested, that is that we will see a successor of the X1D announced pretty soon. The fact that dealers (at least my dealer in Italy) is starting to get the 65mm and 80mm, and will soon get the 135mm (so they tell me), together with the new X1D's FW update, should be enough proof that the X1D project is alive and well :) In a very similar way, the death of the SL has been announced a billion times by someone or other on one forum or other, until the next peep - btw, there are less SL native lenses available than X1D ones, and yet the SL is still alive and well (as, I think, is the X1D). In short, internet rumours and forum thread about rumours are just a way to get traffic (for the rumor sites) and to spend idle time (for the forum chatters). Personally, I prefer to spend my time taking photos with the gear I have, which at the moment happens to be the X1D after three years of SL. Reassuringly enough, with either camera, no new announcement (or lack thereof) suddenly caused my gear to stop working, so if history teaches us anything I am pretty confident that this will keep being the case for the future.

Best regards,

Vieri

Pretty reassuring. Thanks. A bit of nervousness will remain, though, because one, this is not a rumor, it’s a reputable dealer listing the X1D as ‘discontinued’ and two, who knows what the priorities of the new owner are.

I think the big difference for Leica at the moment is the L Mount Alliance. As an owner and user of both the SL and the X1D I have vastly more confidence in Leica’s L mount platform longevity. I have a Panasonic S1R pre ordered already and look firward to Sigma rolling out 14 fast prime lenses that are reasonably priced in 2019. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Alistairm:

I think the big difference for Leica at the moment is the L Mount Alliance...I have a Panasonic S1R pre ordered already and look firward to Sigma rolling out 14 fast prime lenses that are reasonably priced in 2019. 

Well stated. And Leica will make royalties on each of your Panasonic and Sigma purchases. Hasselblad just doesn’t have that cashflow stream. 😂

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, Jeff S said:

So, Vieri, does your dealer or other sources provide any clues about an XCD zoom, which seems to have disappeared from any roadmaps or discussions?  

Jeff

Jeff, I am not falling for this kind of bait, sorry about that. As mentioned repeatedly, I have no connections with Hasselblad besides being a happy X1D user, so if you need any info about anything Hasselblad, please ask your local dealer / distributor. Thanks!

15 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Pretty reassuring. Thanks. A bit of nervousness will remain, though, because one, this is not a rumor, it’s a reputable dealer listing the X1D as ‘discontinued’ and two, who knows what the priorities of the new owner are.

Again, I put no faith in any rumours, and there are many reasons for dealers to put "discontinued", one being lack of stock, another one being a new product is coming, and - of course - one being that a product reached the end of the line. Seeing how successful the X1D has been for Hasselblad, though, I would be very surprised if they just decided to kill the product line out of the blue and just when three new lenses are starting to reach the dealers, don't you think? Of course, stranger things happened before, so who knows. Time will tell :) 

Best regards,

Vieri

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vieri said:

Jeff, I am not falling for this kind of bait, sorry about that. As mentioned repeatedly, I have no connections with Hasselblad besides being a happy X1D user, so if you need any info about anything Hasselblad, please ask your local dealer / distributor. Thanks!

It wasn’t bait; it was a simple question. “I haven’t heard anything” would have sufficed.  And, yes, I asked locally.  But not all dealers are equal.

Jeff

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff S said:

It wasn’t bait; it was a simple question. “I haven’t heard anything” would have sufficed.  And, yes, I asked locally.  But not all dealers are equal.

Jeff

It was a loaded question, and you already got my answer long before you asked it :) Best regards,

Vieri

• Thanks 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Vieri:

...there are many reasons for dealers to put "discontinued", one being lack of stock, another one being a new product is coming, and - of course - one being that a product reached the end of the line. Seeing how successful the X1D has been for Hasselblad, though, I would be very surprised if they just decided to kill the product line out of the blue and just when three new lenses are starting to reach the dealers, don't you think? Of course, stranger things happened before, so who knows. Time will tell :) 

Best regards,

Vieri

Sometimes it’s a mistake, sometimes a dealer is out of stock even if a manufacturer still makes the camera. So one can’t read much into a ‘discontinued’ listing. Agreed. Most of the time, though, this happens after a successor has been announced and launched. In the case of the X1D, many are expecting an X1D Mark II which has supposedly been registered already. B&H’s listing seems to support this narrative. I’m just saying, the longer they wait with an announcement of a successor, the more nervous users will likely get. And the reason is, MF competition at a lower price point and a new owner whose main business is to make unmanned flying vehicles.

9 hours ago, Vieri said:

It was a loaded question, and you already got my answer long before you asked it :) Best regards,

Vieri

Speak for yourself; not everyone is a cynic.   One doesn’t need formal connections to have ears and occasionally hear something, or eyes to read something, that may be useful to someone else.  I’ve heard or read lots of things about gear, software, and other products that I’ve shared here with others, despite never having any connections to any of the companies.  You hadn’t written here about an XCD zoom, or interest on your part, so I asked.  Only you made it an invasion of your personal space. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

This is the kind of back and forth, why I mostly stopped reading this forum over a year ago.  There always is at least one, sometimes more than one, that just keeps pointless conversation going and acts like they “own” the thread.  Is territorial behavior.  Most of us have better things to do, like using our equipment more than writing about it.  There is nothing new to add to Hasselblad vs Leica as far as the X1d and the SL.  Give it a break, will ya?

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Belle123 said:

Most of us have better things to do, like using our equipment more than writing about it.  There is nothing new to add to Hasselblad vs Leica as far as the X1d and the SL.  Give it a break, will ya?

He says, while adding comment #2,452 to this 123 page long old thread.  😳

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Belle123 said:

This is the kind of back and forth, why I mostly stopped reading this forum over a year ago.  There always is at least one, sometimes more than one, that just keeps pointless conversation going and acts like they “own” the thread.  Is territorial behavior.  Most of us have better things to do, like using our equipment more than writing about it.  There is nothing new to add to Hasselblad vs Leica as far as the X1d and the SL.  Give it a break, will ya?

And yet ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

The new version seems to be the same size as X1D. Excellent if so, provided heat dissipation and other processing requirements are solved.  No IBIS, presumably.  

Jeff

which means its a tripod only camera if no IBIS and 100MP.

3 minutes ago, frame-it said:

which means its a tripod only camera if no IBIS and 100MP.

Not necessarily ... but that’s another discussion that’s been hashed out in various other threads.

Meanwhile, we’re still guessing.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...