how do you catch the pixels over 6000x4000?

Herve5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a bit of a newcomer here and on the Q; I'm interested in the idea that, at least in some cases, it'll be useful to get back the large unused part in the DNG originals (more than 100 pixels each side, although way less in the vertical direction, IIRC).

I am not an user of Lightroom, but I tried installing the bundled version, just to discover its default processing of the DNG eliminates these "edges", but maybe an experienced user will tell me how to recover them...

In the meanwhile I'm playing with Graphic Converter on OSX, RawTherapee and Darktable : each of them perfecly "see the edges", each one has its lens barrel compensation tricks... Which one do you use, or would you recommend?

Below, two pics, the first one being the automated jpeg produced in-camera, the second a crop from the (even larger) DNG image when opened in Graphic Converter (and then barrel-compensated and curves-corrected -a very poor result indeed that you'll pardon me)

OK, I couldn't attach both files within this post without significant loss (I'm probably not wise enough); here are two urls:

the 'simple jpeg'

the larger DNG, processed and cropped in GC

TIA!

Hervé

I use CaptureOne, great software, I see edges.

Merci Soizic!

and... now I just see my version of OSX is too old for C1 :-(

[edit] Now I've tried both GraphicCoverter and RawTherapee, I see that while they do open the full 6120-wide image, once I start correcting barrel I'm somehow brought back to a smaller width, presumably because of the cropping.

So either I zoom back at the same time (they allow this), resulting in all the large image details being kept but at a slightly smaller scale, or I dont, and I lose most of the extra sides.

If anyone can hint towards a process that'd keep 6120 pixels and correct barrel I'd be very interested 8-)

Edited by Herve5

I'm a bit of a newcomer here and on the Q; I'm interested in the idea that, at least in some cases, it'll be useful to get back the large unused part in the DNG originals (more than 100 pixels each side, although way less in the vertical direction, IIRC).

I am not an user of Lightroom, but I tried installing the bundled version, just to discover its default processing of the DNG eliminates these "edges", but maybe an experienced user will tell me how to recover them...

In the meanwhile I'm playing with Graphic Converter on OSX, RawTherapee and Darktable : each of them perfecly "see the edges", each one has its lens barrel compensation tricks... Which one do you use, or would you recommend?

Below, two pics, the first one being the automated jpeg produced in-camera, the second a crop from the (even larger) DNG image when opened in Graphic Converter (and then barrel-compensated and curves-corrected -a very poor result indeed that you'll pardon me)

OK, I couldn't attach both files within this post without significant loss (I'm probably not wise enough); here are two urls:

the 'simple jpeg'

the larger DNG, processed and cropped in GC

TIA!

Hervé

I am sorry but when I open your links the images are quite small - impossible to do any sort of comparison between the photos.

See you are on ipernity too, I am Xata there, and you?

Hervé S. :-)

I am sorry but when I open your links the images are quite small - impossible to do any sort of comparison between the photos.

You have the original files there :

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/herve_s/41186486

and

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/herve_s/41186482

Ah. Now in spite of my CC license allowing download, I'm not sure someone not registered on ipernity can actually download them -but at least the browser can show them, full scale, and along with the EXIFs etc.

Thank you for your reactions!

H.

Edited by Herve5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hervé S. :-)

You have the original files there :

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/herve_s/41186486

and

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/herve_s/41186482

Ah. Now in spite of my CC license allowing download, I'm not sure someone not registered on ipernity can actually download them -but at least the browser can show them, full scale, and along with the EXIFs etc.

Thank you for your reactions!

H.

Ok, we are already acquainted over there, another nikonist who has also a Q...!

For the rest I cannot help you, I edit as little as possible, I have the iMac editor and PS elements.

Edited by Lucena

When I open my DNG images with a black strip on one side of the image in LR, the black is open once LR builds the thumbnail. I trust that's what you are referring to here.

One cannot get more than the 24MP from what I know. (6000x4000=24000000)

Edited by algrove

When I open my DNG images with a black strip on one side of the image in LR, the black is open once LR builds the thumbnail. I trust that's what you are referring to here.

One cannot get more than the 24MP from what I know. (6000x4000=24000000)

Algrove, the Q DNG are 6120 pixels wide, only Lightroom doesn't show this (because it automatically applies lens correction and crop).

All other Raw editors access the 6120 pixels.

My issue is just to find a raw editor that would if possible "know" the Q lens (instead of correcting it myself) and, when extrapolating the barrel correction, save more pixels thant the dozen extra I get when I do this with Graphic Converter and then crop to the largest inside rectangle...

Edited by Herve5