No Autofocus with M Lenses

Stevez4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed it would. One could use a clamp-on motor transmitting its torque via a rubber wheel to the focus ring, but then we would be well into Silly Gadget Land.

The gear already exists (electronic follow focus for video) just need a way to integrate it into the AF system

I am relatively sure that the SL will be able to autofocus it's native lenses on "anything but what I want it to" with lightning speed and accuracy, just like every other autofocus camera I've ever used.  Fortunately the use of M and R lenses will prevent that unfortunate and undocumented feature from operating.  <grin> 

• Like 1

You mean like this?

It’s close, but that solution was based on something similar to phase-detection whereas the SL uses a contrast-based AF which places different demands on the motor.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No focus confirmation ...... err ..... it's manual after all.

Peaking works fine although very a la M ..... which is subtle and needs well delineated contrasty edges.

EVF is sufficiently high res to manage accurate focussing without peaking or magnification ...... even well stopped down (f16 on the 75/2) and in poor lighting. You have the resolution accuracy of an optical finder .... viewed at the lenses true FL .... plus the light amplification that allows a bright image even when stopped down or dull conditions ..... there is s slight trade off with some granularity and flicker at high f numbers and iso 6400 plus ..... but it is still perfectly usable. 

Much, much better than the T or M. 

• Like 1

It’s close, but that solution was based on something similar to phase-detection whereas the SL uses a contrast-based AF which places different demands on the motor.

What makes you so sure that for the price of an SL it does not include its own set of Oompah Luumpahs to move the M lens focus tabs?

No focus confirmation ...... err ..... it's manual after all.

Peaking works fine although very a la M ..... which is subtle and needs well delineated contrasty edges.

EVF is sufficiently high res to manage accurate focussing without peaking or magnification ...... even well stopped down (f16 on the 75/2) and in poor lighting. You have the resolution accuracy of an optical finder .... viewed at the lenses true FL .... plus the light amplification that allows a bright image even when stopped down or dull conditions ..... there is s slight trade off with some granularity and flicker at high f numbers and iso 6400 plus ..... but it is still perfectly usable. 

Much, much better than the T or M. 

i was referring to focus confirmation like nikon or canon, the focus point(s) light up when that area is in focus....

peaking is something to get used to....i have had it on several cameras like black magic and red and sony and it's never been a perfect solution for me, but other people love it....

• Like 1

i was referring to focus confirmation like nikon or canon, the focus point(s) light up when that area is in focus....

You mean focus confirmation by phase-detection? Easy to implement if you have a dedicated phase-detection sensor but as we do not, well …

I guess the hope was that if the S2/S has it, maybe the SL can have it as well...

Like I said: It is easy to do with a phase-detection sensor. The S, being a DSLR, sports a dedicated phase-detection sensor, the SL (like the M) does not.

Like I said: It is easy to do with a phase-detection sensor. The S, being a DSLR, sports a dedicated phase-detection sensor, the SL (like the M) does not.

Thank you, I understood what you said and thanks for this information, I was just adding how it can cross someone's mind. I look forward to try the SL with M lenses, for me the ideal would be to be able to focus without magnification or focus peaking, and some first reports say that the EVF is good enough to be able to do so.