S2 sensor corrosion

John McMaster

• 4 weeks later...

I had some serious problems with stains/corrosion on my sensor on my S2 which Leica replaced at no charge. I fully expected to at least pay for a cleaning but was only out of pocket for shipping expenses. Excellent service. Wonderful company. My only complaint was that it took several months to resolve this problem. 

FWITW: I live and work in the tropics and have had to have the sensor replaced on my M9 as well. 

My S2 was diagnosed with this exact problem earlier this summer after a sensor cleaning. Perplexed at the amount of dust I was seeing on captures, I was informed that the sensor was de-laminating at an alarming rate.

I've been delaying the inevitable absence it will require to deal with it. Seriously disappointing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

My S (006) now has a corrosion issue...pretty disappointing.  Having had Phase One and Hasselblad CFV backs for years and never an issue with corrosion.  My M9 is in the shop now and I'll be sending the S very soon.  The Hasselblad 1Xd is looking better all the time!

27688956103_a794958a16_o.jpg

Edited by Sailronin
  • Like 1

Six months ago, my Leica dealer diagnosed my S2-P as having sensor corrosion when I was considering trading up to an S007.  In my case the spots were few in number, and they were tiny, pinpoint white spots.  The dealer convinced me that I should send it to Leica for a free sensor replacement, and so I agreed, and purchased a used S006 to use in the interim.  That was in January, and I still have not received the camera, nor have I gotten any indication from Leica when I can expect it to be returned.  That was six months ago, and still no word of the status of the repair.  None.  

I love my Leica equipment, and I have a considerable amount of it, including the aforementioned S2-P and S006, an M246, an SL, and quite a few lenses, but because of this service experience I will think long and hard before investing further in anything made by Leica.  Their complete absence of customer service and concern for their customer base is unacceptable. Yes, I appreciate their offer of free sensor replacement, but at what price?  In the six months that Leica have had the camera, the value has declined at least 15 to 20%, and it continues to drop - a prime example of the adage that there is no free lunch, or in this case, sensor.

Edited by relms

Relms...Sorry to hear about your experience with Leica Customer Service.  My Leica Store dealer told me the Leica USA Repair Service Center in NJ is being upgraded and enlarged.  This upgraded repair center will be finished in the next few weeks.  I was also told Leica Solms customer service repair is being evaluated by senior Leica staff.  Leica realizes they have a problem...a major problem with repairs and customer service and are trying to vastly improve/fix it.  It doesn't get your issue resolved, but it appears Leica is working hard to resolve long standing issue(s) with repair service...and hopefully IMO, reliability with upcoming Leica camera models across the systems.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1