Summarit kit

Robert M Poole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@colonel I was concerned after reading this review on amateur photographer.

"Older lenses that have not had this code added will no longer have the guidelines changed automatically in-camera and, as there is no switch, this may be a problem for those with older Leica optics"

Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/leica-m-e/2#vCxqxtPzZZtWDURz.99

I'm amazed that AP got that so wrong!

The framelines are activted by the lens mount, it's a very simple mechanical connection. Different lenses have a slightly longer/shorter lug on one side.

The code marks are another thing altogether. They tell the (digital) camera which lens is fitted by a basic 'bar code' - this is used for EXIF data and in some cases, to apply in camera corrections for vignetting/colour casts. However you can also select the lens manually in the menu if you are using a non-coded lens.

The frame preview lever is just that - a preview lever to enable you to see the other frames regardless of which lens is actually fitted. It's spring loaded so as soon as you let go, the frames return to show whatever lens has been fitted.

For thoroughness I should also mention that LTM lenses used with adaptors should be fitted with the correct type of adaptor to bring up the correct framelines, i.e. there's nothing to stop you fitting a 50mm LTM lens with a 35mm type adaptor, but you will get the 35mm frame lines, not the 50's.

• Like 2

I'm amazed that AP got that so wrong!

The framelines are activted by the lens mount, it's a very simple mechanical connection. Different lenses have a slightly longer/shorter lug on one side.

The code marks are another thing altogether. They tell the (digital) camera which lens is fitted by a basic 'bar code' - this is used for EXIF data and in some cases, to apply in camera corrections for vignetting/colour casts. However you can also select the lens manually in the menu if you are using a non-coded lens.

The frame preview lever is just that - a preview lever to enable you to see the other frames regardless of which lens is actually fitted. It's spring loaded so as soon as you let go, the frames return to show whatever lens has been fitted.

For thoroughness I should also mention that LTM lenses used with adaptors should be fitted with the correct type of adaptor to bring up the correct framelines, i.e. there's nothing to stop you fitting a 50mm LTM lens with a 35mm type adaptor, but you will get the 35mm frame lines, not the 50's.

I was confused as having tried an m9 I knew it was just a preview lever. I love AP magazine but disappointed with them here.

My plan is to get an M-E on Tuesday but I'm a bit concerned. I see on this forum words like "underdog" and "BC badly received" used to describe the M-E . Am I investing in something that is looked down on?

It is a real Leica and a fantastic camera.  Buy and enjoy.

• Like 1

My plan is to get an M-E on Tuesday but I'm a bit concerned. I see on this forum words like "underdog" and "BC badly received" used to describe the M-E . Am I investing in something that is looked down on?

It's a great camera

However note it is last generation digital M and a new M is coming out at the end of the year. Which is why it's discounted

i believe it's sold quite well since its introduction.

• Like 1

Just spoken to three store, they'll do m9 plus 50mm f2 cron for £3500 interest free... But used of course... I would prefer the cron... Just when I thought I'd made up my mind...

50 cron is my main lens on both M-E and M Monochrom.

Just spoken to three store, they'll do m9 plus 50mm f2 cron for £3500 interest free... But used of course... I would prefer the cron... Just when I thought I'd made up my mind...

It depends on which Cron..... In Italy the latest pre-Asph, with integrated hood, in used but in very good condition, is about 1100€, an used M9 sells for 2500€.

The only advantage in buying used Leica gear is that, especially for the lens, they hold the value quite well. And if you buy from an authorized dealer there should be some warranty also on used gear.

In both cases buy it and enjoy.

Cheers,

Massimo

• Like 1

I think you'd get £600 for the 75mm lens.

Hello,

I seem to be posting all over the place at the moment trying to find the perfect Leica combination for my budget. I want to spend about £3000 on a lens and body.

My first idea was m6 plus three lenses, before making the leapi bought an old Olympus 35sp which confirmed that I like shooting with a rangefinder but enjoy developing less than I thought.

Next was the idea to buy the new Q which seemed like a good option but... Is it really a Leica? I know it is and I know the results are fantastic but the autofocus etc makes me feel like I'm handing everything over to Computer...

Next I thought used m9 and a used 50mm this would be the same sort of price. I had a play with an m9 and 35mm and enjoyed it.

Then I saw the offer on the M-E £4100 for the 50mm and 75mm plus body. Now this is about £1000 more than I want to and could spend but I had a thought, could I buy the kit then sell the 75mm as new? How much would I realistically get back? Is this the best deal out there?

As you can see I'm very confused at the moment!

Rob

Congrats on the M9. I had a similar question but opted for the M-E and paid £2100 for an example 2 months old. Interestingly the buyer did the opposite and purchased the same kit but sold the body, keeping the 35 + 75 lenses. I am delighted with it and its nice to have something new and still under warranty. Look forward to seeing your photos.

Congrats on the M9. I had a similar question but opted for the M-E and paid £2100 for an example 2 months old. Interestingly the buyer did the opposite and purchased the same kit but sold the body, keeping the 35 + 75 lenses. I am delighted with it and its nice to have something new and still under warranty. Look forward to seeing your photos.

My M-E went back to New Jersey after only 12 weeks (problem ID'd at six weeks and reservation made).  New is nice, but I'll be three months without by the time it comes home.

• 2 weeks later...

How are you finding it? I love the m9 and the 50mm Summerit is a beauty. The lens is new so got passport on that, the body is from a dealer so comes with warranty, plus lightroom when I registered it.

Some pictures here, https://flic.kr/s/aHskhbHE3W

I'm on holiday at the moment so prepare for lots more soon!