Trying out the new S in Penang

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The BH-55 will certainly work well. In my opinion it is overkill but that is just me. At my age and all the bad joints, I like to go as light as I can and get the job done.

I have both RRS ball heads the BH-55 and the smaller BH-40, and I find the BH-40 being adequate for the S2 with all the lenses but the Contax 350mm. and Hasselblad 50-110 mm.

Yevgeny

I've been shooting my S2 handheld at 320 ISO with a polarizing filter. Setting my F stop at 5.6, the tropical sun usually gives me a shake-free shutter speed. If not, moving up to 640 ISO is acceptable IQ wise. For studio or deep shade, a wooden Berlbach wearing an Acratech 31047 ball head does the job nicely.

I'm using this kit as a modern replacement for my old Linhof 4x5.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Holly smokes that B55 is big ..........................but when it is coupled with the S on the L bracket it actually looks like the pair were made for each other :) :) :)

Proof in the pudding I will try it out tonight and see how I get on.

• 1 month later...

2. forget the old rule of shutter speed = 2 times the focal length... In the S system, maybe because of the weight or perhaps because of the incredible resolution, I find that handheld shots, even braced, require 3 or 4 times the FL.

This was very helpful, I tend to do a lot of handheld shots in very dark places (concerts, events, film sets) so this is a very important consideration.

I would have thought that the extra weight helps to keep things steady but I suppose the extra resolution and detail will pick up any little movement.

Edited by Lax Jought

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This was very helpful, I tend to do a lot of handheld shots in very dark places (concerts, events, film sets) so this is a very important consideration.

I would have thought that the extra weight helps to keep things steady but I suppose the extra resolution and detail will pick up any little movement.

Handgrip helps, maybe 1 stop with some exercise.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Very nice, Neil. You might want to lok into getting a LEE filter system kit for your S, particularly a big stopper and a hard and soft ND graduated filter.

Adam

I've been using the Lee filters for a long time

It just seems as though it would have been ideal to have used either the little or big stopper and either a hard or soft ND grad on this photo. You would have been able to retain more texture in the horizon and achieve a cloudy effect in the water, taking the image from the real to surreal all before the PP.