FINCA finish

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone. As an oft-lurker but infrequent commenter I try to avoid bothering the experts here with direct questions, but I do have one that seems to require a bit of clarification.

When speaking about FILCA cassettes, what would the original finish have been prior to 1945? To quote the wiki, "postwar with shiny brown finish". This explains part of the story, but I often encounter cassettes which appear to have never had a black or brown finish. While I understand a finish may wear off over time, one would expect this wear to occur in certain areas, like the sides of the body of the cassette which may wear when being inserted or removed from a camera, but not in other places, such as underneath the clip. The examples I am referring to typically have no finish anywhere on them, showing only patinaed brass.

Were pre-war cassettes un-finished brass? Blackened? Perhaps we are speaking about a few eras of finish?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Paul

Edit: Apologies for the typo in the subject title.

Edited by lorax412