M-P (Type240) Safari

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank You for the response Nuggie and Monoleica. 

Monoleica, I saw a used Safari in BH just want to make sure it is not the one with the problem.

Nuggie, wondered if the current version of cron f2 (with plastic hood) and new limited cron f2 (looks like safari's with metal hood and red marking) is as harsh. Not sure if it has anything to do with people claiming f2 is sharper.

If it is offered as used by B&H you should not have cause to worry, as it is more than likely that they would have had it sorted.

During the very short time they have had it I doubt it could have been repaired and made ready for resale!!

Why buy a known Lemon? -- 

Edited by manoleica

true, but in general I would prefer an as-new camera that has been through CS over a run-of-the-mill used one. I would guess B&H has enough clout to get things done quickly at Leica.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Played around with this one seems to be normal  on the info switch and it is different serial number. Sales person says customer pre order opened it and decided to return it. Looks brand new. just wont be able to check the shutter count.

Thanks for all the help and comments.

Caved in and bought it. Full Warranty from Leica. registration card is not filled yet. Was told not to fill until I decide to keep it for sure. I will test it out to see if anything is wrong. anything that I should be looking at to see if there might be problem. 

• Like 1

Anyone who uses the leica with lightroom (5.6) and photoshop (cc 2014), do you know if there is problem with correctly showing the exif information on these programs? I am taking bunch of photos at Aperture Priority, f/2.0 when I import it to Lightroom, they inconsistently showing f/2.0 and f/2.4 (Some photo show up as correct aperture value and some shows up as being f/2.4) even thought everything is taken at f/2.0. I am not sure if this is because the lens that comes with the Safari is a slightly different version of the Sumicron 35 and these program does not have the updated profile or it is just simply either the lens that I have is bad or the camera or both. 

Or I don't have a clue at all at how the Leica operates.

Edited by whartan

Is your EV set 00? auto ISO? Set the camera to manual lens selection..

Try some shots in Full Manual, then check out the EXIF/PP settings. Send an email to Leica Tech & ask them.. Was the battery sealed in a plastic bag when you unboxed the camera?

Thanks manoleica, I reset the camera via the menu. Before testing it out the second time. The battery was opened. 

will set the camera to manual lens selection and try out full manual shots when the light is out again. and send Leica Tech email. 

Thanks for the suggestion! How are you enjoying your New Safari?

Thanks Jeff, I was searching under the wrong words, did not get this post. Thank you for the link!

and should have use common sense to head to FAQ.... duhhh!

I think it took me a lot more than 8 posts to find it myself.

Jeff

My new Safari:- just taking various shots at various settings.. Around 80 at the moment, I have not d/loaded to my Mac yet... This camera feels a whole lot tighter and sharper than the first one. No vignetting & the controls are tight and precise. Time will tell, going out on a days shoot next Thursday.

Anyone who uses the leica with lightroom (5.6) and photoshop (cc 2014), do you know if there is problem with correctly showing the exif information on these programs? I am taking bunch of photos at Aperture Priority, f/2.0 when I import it to Lightroom, they inconsistently showing f/2.0 and f/2.4 (Some photo show up as correct aperture value and some shows up as being f/2.4) even thought everything is taken at f/2.0. I am not sure if this is because the lens that comes with the Safari is a slightly different version of the Sumicron 35 and these program does not have the updated profile or it is just simply either the lens that I have is bad or the camera or both. 

Or I don't have a clue at all at how the Leica operates.

The Leica M lenses do not have any electronic or mechanic connection to the camera body which could translate the aperture setting on the lens to the camera.

The camera body can never "know" the precise aperture setting.

For the sake of having a rather realistic aperture data filled into the EXIF field, Leica has employed a little sensor at the front above the lens mount which in combination with the camera's exposure information will help the camera to calculate an approximate aperture value.

This is the value you are going to see in the software. It is most of the time very close to the actual set value, but can be tricked under certain conditions to be even several stops off. Take it with a grain of salt ;-)

• Like 1