Moving to film or not?

beckzito

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi TBM , Interesting post and nice pictures and color in your link !

Thanks

... with my experience and having an enlarger Focomat in my home lab. and having before an Epson Inkjet printer , silver paper is better and sharper than inkjetpaper.

I agree that this "form of working" takes time but what pleasure to work in a darkroom and see your result , than in front of his computer :)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/233547-my-new-companion/?p=2683352

Best

Henry

Hi Henry,

I should have mentioned all of those images were captured with my R9 and the 90/2 APO-Summicron-R ASPH lens.  The transparency color film used is Fuji Provia 100.  And, I'd like to make a small correction.  The B&W negative film that was reversed processed and pushed to 3200 ISO was Ilford HP5 400 pushed THREE stops to 3200 ISO (not two stops.) 

http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/hp5dev-1.html

Also, That's a nice looking darkroom you have!  Ok, your own darkroom & time to make a print...PRICELESS! 

When I speak of inkjet, I take it with your Epson Inkjet printer, you were probably using Pigment based ink.  That with the combination of Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper gave me the closest results I could get to a silver gelatin print.  You are right, there is an esthetic that so far (as far as I know) cannot be obtained by any type of inkjet/paper combination.  A Digital Laser exposure onto traditional photographic paper might be as close to that as possible and actually, might be indistinguishable.  At the same time, I don't know if there is Laser exposure system that can use traditional B&W photographic paper.  I would think that would be possible, but I am unaware of that.   

@thebarnman: i reeally enjoyed your "pinball tournamen" series, great photography which reminds me of the old times when pinball was the main game!

Robert

Robert, You now have me excited!  I'll try to send to you some of my Zapcon 2014 images.  Zapcon is a Video game and Pinball party held near where I live every year.  These images were shot with Cine Still Film rated at 800 ISO and shot at 3200 ISO.  (A push of two stops.)  The big difference with this film is not only it's rated speed, it's also a tungsten color negative film that was pushed two stops in a C-41 process.  (Not every lab pushes C-41.)  If I'm able to get these images to you, the close-up looking images (most of them in this batch I'll try to share) were shot with my Leica R 90 lens and the wide angle shots was from a rented 25mm Zeiss lens with a Canon mount (that fitted perfectly to my old Canon Rebel 2000.) 

Edited by thebarnman
  • Like 1

Continuing on, here's a few samples of the Zapcon 2014 images.  All of these were shot on Cine Still Film with my R9 and the 90/2 APO-Summicron-R ASPH lens with typical photo lab scans (touched up in Lightroom) for easy sharing.  This could be an argument for at least trying film again.   

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by thebarnman
  • Like 2

I'd be trying for sure before suggesting it's time to trash it, but I am frugal of course.

I'd venture Pico has frozen it, and while it might be well out of date, it will be as good as any of us need.

I'll be a starter for your fire sale Pico.

Gary

Gary,  leave your digital gear for a while and shoot with analog camera.

When you'll be in Europe take also your analog gear. For film, we have

a lot in Europe and in France

TBM stunning pictures, I love this grain.The digital tries to imitate the grain

but can not

Cheers

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have thought of it Henry, but honestly, I am too scared to do such a large trip without my digital.

Either the T, or the X-Vario, plus the X1 (stashed but in case I need it). Given same batteries X1 and X-V, it is likely those two as it allows a single charger as well.

If my mood takes me, then I will also pack the M6 with 50mm or the Model 1 and some B&W film.

Either way, whatever I bring, coffee on me in Paris.

Gary

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

For me as an amateur and old man the question cannot simply be "moving to film or not".

For me it has only to be : Is there enough motivation to work sometimes besides with my digital cameras also with the wonderful in my household still existing old Leica II, IIIg, M6; my Canon A1 - my Russian Zenit 12; the Zeiss Ikons... 

Yes there is for me enough motivation. Because I like these lovely mechanical instruments. Not every day - but from time to time. 5% perhaps. But I cant clearly say analogue ist the better choice. It is a quite different choice and world and in times of taking photos with cellphones and spreading it in the social network - the making of photos with 35mm film is like moving from A to B with an oldtimer car instead of an modern VW Golf e.g. Thats not for everyone a practical way - for others it means heaven.

And for those of us that do not already own these wonderful mechanical wonders of Leica and others - but feel here and now as starting artists in photography, hating the "digital look" - ready to move to film?

In my opinion in this case the move to 24x36 film is only the halfstep to heaven. To outperform nowadays digital full frame either in an artistic manner or to have a clearly better analogue look - why not back to the roots - now with much better film qualities - where Barnack started his vision from ? Why not at least medium format 6x6 or 6x9 or even more. Rolleiflex 6x6 (Vivian Maier) or Hasselblad 6x6 SWC. Both also easyly portable street cameras. And not half the hassle with scanning like 24x36. If you are willing to work with film mainly - compare the prices of an overhauled bundle Rolleiflex plus Hasselblad SWC with e.g. an M7.

(Some thoughts of a man that started with an Agfa Box 6x9 and hopes to finish his photographic livelong adventure one day with the Box Tengor 6x9. This will be sufficient for me.

Excuse my denglish please.)

Edited by machmaphoto
  • Like 2

Agree with you Mach :)

Look at sales of digital  M9 or M240 in second hand.
Rates revolve around 3000E or less for Ccd-M9 and around 4000 Euros for Cmos-M240
Now look at analog M6 1980s always sold around 1200-1000 Euros, M3-M4 around 500-1000 E

and MP around 2000 E.
I find that digital M depreciate faster  and analog M  still keep the rating of second hand !

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Capturing images is a personal endeavor. We all have preferences. I like using older glass with my M9 because it gives the files character. I like using newer glass with my film cameras to add a little clarity and contrast. I love my film Leicas for their precision and haptics. I like film because it's a slower, more meditative process. It has a different look than digital. Not better - different. It's another paint brush. 

My point: it's not either/or. We live in a wonderful age where we can use both and feel good about it.  Yay.

• Like 1

Friedeye .... but digital M9 needs "always" a correction or post treatment

not the case for film

Edges and lines in digital too "smooth" (pixels) , not the case in film

(silver grain) more beautiful with silver print paper through enlarger)

Best

Henry

My 2 digital are used as back up but very rarely for reasons cited . :)

Edited by Doc Henry

One of the major reasons for not faithful reproduction of an image of digital
Pixels unable to reproduce "micro droplets" of fog as in this photo below
Silver grains : yes :)

Picture of fog (winter 2015)

M7 - 35 LA - Ilford HP5

original in film

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Crop 100% left on trees , in the middle

I also shot the same picture and at the same time with my M8 Summicron 28 Asph

I post only the 100% crop here (also left on trees) , "smooth" square pixels by camera

software

Tree trunks are "smoothed" everywhere (versus on the film there are shades)
and "smoothed" fog micro droplets everywhere , no "nuance" !

Silver grain like a painting of "Seurat"  , impressionist painter

Conclusion : photo more artistic, less flat , more "soul" , in film 

Rg

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 6

....and for the next Twin Peaks in 2016 of David Lynch , it wil be in film (Kodak) ! :)

Good news

"The director did confirm the assumption that the new series will be shot on film just like the original show. Earlier this year,David Lynch admitted he was falling in love with film again. Celluloid, that is, as opposed to digital as used Inland Empire and many of his recent projects.

And as it later turned out, his love for the medium was rekindled by Missing Pieces which he restored for the Twin Peaks Blu Ray, stating recently that he was “overwhelmed by the depth and the beauty that celluloid and film can give.” So here’s what he did reveal about the new episodes:

So it’s not like we’re saying now: “Oh boy, we’re gonna really do some raunchy things.” We’re gonna do the same things, but in better quality. And film remains the best quality"

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/david-lynch-twin-peaks-2016-on-film/

Rg

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Film always has a spot reserved in my fridge. No camera that I own beats my Mamiya 7ii. I usually stock portra or trix and have a huge bag of various expired fuji slide film. Brings a smile to my face everytime I see the results. 

I agree Doc, fog or dusty beams of light are always captured soo much better on film.

• Like 1

Hi guys

Any idea why the square focus area sometimes dissapears? Mainly when i turn it on and spend sometime back and forward on zone focusing.

Tks.

Mind your fingers. Most likely one of them obscures the little window on the right hand side of the camera.

• Like 2

Hi guys

Any idea why the square focus area sometimes dissapears? Mainly when i turn it on and spend sometime back and forward on zone focusing.

Tks.

Beck, perhaps the frames selector blocked (right camera near the lens) ? unlock it by a slight coming and going

...   this if I understand the problem description

Best

Henry

• Like 1