Moving to film or not?

beckzito

• 3 weeks later...

Hi people,

I am getting some missed focus shots like the one i present but i found it strange to my weak knowledge...as im 100% sure i nailed the focus on the ball you see on the left,

As i am writing the aperture and shutter speeds on a small moleskine, i know that i shot this one at f/8 and 1/90th.

What reasons could it be? The kind of light? leica M7 needing calibration? Altough its one shot among ten (or more) with decent focus, i am not getting what could it be :)

Many thanks.

000011.jpg

• Like 1

Hi people,

I am getting some missed focus shots like the one i present but i found it strange to my weak knowledge...as im 100% sure i nailed the focus on the ball you see on the left,

As i am writing the aperture and shutter speeds on a small moleskine, i know that i shot this one at f/8 and 1/90th.

What reasons could it be? The kind of light? leica M7 needing calibration? Altough its one shot among ten (or more) with decent focus, i am not getting what could it be :)

Many thanks.

000011.jpg

At F8 you shouldn't be getting wildly missed focussing errors though, in my experience, it is not unusual for the combination of Leica lenses and bodies (as calibrated in the factory) to tend a little towards back-focus at mid distance and beyond, at the very least to find a large proportion of the DOF appear behind the intended focus point. Lenses like the 35 Summicron can also have quite pronounced curvature of field as you stop the lens down which tends to exacerbate this effect. However, if you did focus on the left hand 'ball' then it does indeed look like something is amiss, most probably with the RF. The best thing to do is run controlled tests on a tripod at a variety of distances and apertures. This will help determine whether there is a calibration problem or whether it is due to technique. Incidentally, what lens were you using?

• Like 1

wattsty  B)

Thing is, i get several shots in a row with decent focus, where i remember exactly to be my point and then, it appears a picture like this.As it seems to be user error, im trying to understand other factors influences the shot overall and the way focus is achieved or not. Yes, i do thing is my fault :)

From the same roll, on the same day, and at f/4:

88b2e3e5-9fbc-4489-acb1-5be84d089954.jpg

Edited by beckzito
  • Like 3

Is there any correlation between good and bad focus and portrait or landscape position? It could be some kind of astigmatism thing going on. I still think it is worth using a roll of film to do some tests on a tripod. It will provide a better basis for knowing whether the problem is the camera (or lens) or user technique. :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...