Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 ZM availability? Has anyone gotten a serial version yet?

SiriusLux

Took a load of pics this am. to see which is the best manual lens setting .......

from what I can see the plain 35/1.4 (pre asph) gives the best results and almost completely eliminates vignetting at f1/.4.

tried everything available lens from 24-50 and this was the best choice .....

• Like 3

So will you have taken ~1000 pics with the Zeiss lens in the three days after delivery? :D:D

Heh, I wish. Monday will be busy, I even have to teach a lab on heart anatomy and EKGs to extension school biology students. But maybe I can take some handheld night shots on the way home.

But doesn't it work faster, work nonstop and more accurately? Surely it can work 365 days a year and does not require parental upbringing, education of 15-20 years, constantly increasing salary to buy stuff, retirement benefits and medical insurance, etc.

Maybe, but it can't be made by unskilled labour while humans can.

Edited by andybarton
Quote corrected

The performance so far is really impressive on both the cameras, will sort and share the files tomorrow night CET.

Ditto. I've never been a fan of 35mm ...... but I can see me using this extensively with it stuck on 1.4 ........

Now I actually have a copy that focusses properly I am even more impressed :rolleyes:

This is a repeat shot of the church interior from today ...... and a 100% crop ....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and an exciting shot of a concrete post to show the vignetting at 1.4 when set as 35/1.4 non asph ......

....... zilch ........ and colour fidelity and contrast excellent even wide open ....

and a couple more thrilling shots ....... I'm afraid the weather is grey, damp and apart from sheep I can't find a lot to take photos of when out with the dog .... :o

.... at least using 1.4 adds a touch more interest by isolating the subject ..... and you can see what the bokeh is like ....

• Like 1

Any observations on how it behaves with your Monochrom?

James, the lens lives up to Zeiss's claims.

I shot extensively with the Monochrom and the 35/1.4ZM today and I'm seriously impressed.

I will share a few untinkered (DNG -> LR -> JPEG) samples tomorrow. It's a mixed bunch of images with aperture values ranging from f1.4 - f8 shot at close range -> mid range -> infinity.

The shoot also reminded me what a remarkable camera the Monochrom is. Truly remarkable camera.

The size of the lens does bother me somewhat and the lens is front heavy on the M9 and MM. The bodies tip over when placed on an even surface.

That said, though the build quality is excellent on my chrome version, the lens does not feel heavy or bulky.

I tried hard to make the lens flare and succeeded. But, under normal use, the performance is superlative.

I like the lens so much I might order a second copy, in black finish this time.

Shame about the bright chrome ring at the front of black ZMs!

But the chrome ring is covered by their intended hood, which doesn't scar the chrome like it would a black anodized or painted ring - so the aversion to it must be primarily from those who don't use the ZM hood.

• Like 2

James, the lens lives up to Zeiss's claims.

I shot extensively with the Monochrom and the 35/1.4ZM today and I'm seriously impressed.

Out of curiosity, did you find it too 'contrasty' for the Monochrom? I wonder how it compares to the 35 C in this regard--the Biogon C appears to carry this trait even more so than the ZM 2/35 (I've shot the former but not the later).

Edited by james.liam

Out of curiosity, did you find it too 'contrasty' for the Monochrom? I wonder how it compares to the 35 C in this regard--the Biogon C appears to carry this trait even more so than the ZM 2/35 (I've shot the former but not the later).

Cant say I find the files too contrasty ... see for yourself

DNG -> JPEG in LR, no other tweaks

• Like 1

Processing is a matter of personal taste but here's one done to my taste, as an exemplification of what the files look like after some tinkering

• Like 1

One from the M9

DNG -> JPEG in LR, no other tweaks

one more processed from the Monochrom and a 200% crop

• Like 1