Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 ZM availability? Has anyone gotten a serial version yet?

SiriusLux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

to throw one in the fray for comparison, here's a DNG -> LR JPEG from the Monochrom+APO50 combination

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

The latest Lightroom has a profile for the lens that corrects the vignetting at wider apertures, if you need it.

Dear jrp, I just checked with my Lightroom 5.7, which should be the latest.

There is no profile for the Distagon T* 1.4/35 ZM, however there is a profile for the Distagon T* 1.4/35 ZE and ZF.2, these lenses are a different design with different data, lens characteristics, MTF-diagrams etc.

I would suppose any of the Leica Summilux profiles come closer to the ZM Distagon than the profile for the ZE and ZF.2 lenses.

Regards, Joerg

• Like 1

Cant say I find the files too contrasty ... see for yourself

DNG -> JPEG in LR, no other tweaks

Hari, this time you went from Heidelberg to Frankfurt:)

On the other hand I cannot understand what was referred by another forum member, i.e. a lens that would be "too contrasty". Maximum contrast is what a lens designer is striving to because maximum contrast means minimum loss of information. That's an engineer's point of view.

Regards, Joerg

Where's all the snow? :D

Global warming is happening only at the Harvard campus in Cambridge, MA ;)

Hari, this time you went from Heidelberg to Frankfurt:)

On the other hand I cannot understand what was referred by another forum member, i.e. a lens that would be "too contrasty". Maximum contrast is what a lens designer is striving to because maximum contrast means minimum loss of information. That's an engineer's point of view.

Regards, Joerg

When shooting the Monochrom, a lower contrast lens will lend to a more subtle gradation of the grey tones. The 35C has seems at times a tad harsh. The 50 Rigid is a low-to-medium contrast lens, lower than the 6-element version that followed. Not crazy for it with color but on the MM, it renders very nicely.

Where's all the snow? :D

This is at the Northwest Sciences Labs building, a relatively nice piece of contemporary architecture at Harvard, which has a big overhang over the bike rack area for employees and students. Snow is starting to slowly melt in Cambridge & Boston, with big icicles are starting to fall off older buildings. The university has been sending crews up in cherry picker lifts to knock ice down safely.

This is at the Northwest Sciences Labs building, a relatively nice piece of contemporary architecture at Harvard, which has a big overhang over the bike rack area for employees and students. Snow is starting to slowly melt in Cambridge & Boston, with big icicles are starting to fall off older buildings. The university has been sending crews up in cherry picker lifts to knock ice down safely.

ah i see. i lived in cambridge until a few months ago and know exactly where this is. biked past it countless times.

i would love to see more photos of the area. i almost wish i'd been there to experience the snow. :)

Got a few minutes of free time, here's what the mysterious hood looks like ->

A few, mounted on the lens

The Science Center and Music Library at Harvard, F/5.6:

16746687341_fec932b0f3_h.jpgHarvard University, Cambridge, MA 2015 by Steven Keirstead, on Flickr

Zelkova Bark by Cruft Physics Lab at Harvard F/5.6 near minimum focus distance. Almost macro level detail is possible with this lens. Nicely free of focus shift too.

16560483650_932717b1d4_h.jpgZelkova Bark, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 2015 by Steven Keirstead, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhere in the Forum I asked how would the 35 1.4 Distagon compare with the 35 2.8 Biogon at, say, f4. To answer my own question – there's clearly more resolution with the Distagon. Pics attached. Distagon is on the left in selected portion. F4 1/350s exposures for each lens, M240 hand held.

Difficult to make a direct comparison, Microview, as the focus is clearly not at the same point in each of your example images. I may do a similar comparison myself, as I also have both of these lenses. Steve K.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

F/1.4 minimum focus distance on the grafitti, focus and recompose on the "cher" area of "Preacher". Evidence of a flat field as Lloyd Chambers reported, though I did have the lens tilted down, so the text on the glass of the bus window was at an angle, therefore the fall off in the graffiti's sharpness toward the lower left corner.

16437349333_fbcf994af6_b.jpg

The Evil Preacher MAN Robbindale 02131, MBTA #1 Bus, Boston, MA 2015 by Steven Keirstead, on Flickr

Edited by sdk