Leica M Edition 60 unboxing

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i noticed from your image that the shutter release is smooth & slightly raised above the on/off switch. do you find it requires the same amount of pressure to depress, copared with the standard 240 (or your monochrome) or is it softer or heavier to the touch?

I hate to sound so cosmetically inclined...but there is only one thing that could make me sell my M3 w/ grey griptac and silver 50 lux. It would be that 35mm 1.4 on a brand new silver M-A with a custom silver griptac...what a stunner that would be, eh?

Well then, what's holding you back? :p

It's better to regret the things you've done than things you haven't.

The hold back is:

1. I can not buy the lens by it self, not interested in digital.

2. The images I make with my M3 are great and the fact it is a 60 year old camera has been great marketing / self promotion ( being seen with it ).

3. I would have to sell the M3/50 plus either my very large Hasselblad or large format film system to pay for it...the latter being kind of irresponsible for my career direction.

Nice looking set though, I like what Leica is doing here in the dept. of design...

Edited by KM-25
  • Like 1

It has no strap lugs! That eliminates all the fussy, girlie strap posts and suggests a never-ready case, or Cor help us, a wrist strap to the tripod socket. I would worry whether that requires a pinkie extended hold, or not.

What was Leica thinking of? I will NOT carry a purse.

Edited by pico

M60: feels solid with excellent finish, until one discovers the plastic bottom plate pin. As mine is a user, I will see whether that plastic thing will break soon. A little disappointing if design compromises quality to such an extent. Anyway, it`s a great camera otherwise and I enjoy the unique shooting experience. The lens mount is quite tight, requiring more force than what I have experienced with any of my other Ms. I`ll see whether it needs some breaking in and will smoothen after time.

Hmmmm.... that doesn't sound good. I trust Leica will fix this under warranty if it is a design fault. I can't think of any other M where the base plate pin is plastic - it's always a very solid part of the camera for good reason. Thanks for pointing this out - mine not in my hands until later this week.

Audi Design doesn't worry about such fluff. Or apparently any way to check battery capacity. But one does get to see SD card level after every shot. Function follows form.

Jeff

No quite true. If you press the function button (the YouTube button on the M(240)), you get a second chance to see how many shots are left on the SD card (Yay!) and you get the battery level if you push it again - ah, technology! Don't you just love it!

• Like 1

Audi Design doesn't worry about such fluff. Or apparently any way to check battery capacity. But one does get to see SD card level after every shot. Function follows form.

Jeff

I think they should overlay a graph of their current stock market over the SD card level. It would make as much sense. WTF was Audi thinking? Petrol level?

No quite true. If you press the function button (the YouTube button on the M(240)), you get a second chance to see how many shots are left on the SD card (Yay!) and you get the battery level if you push it again - ah, technology! Don't you just love it!

Oh my…worse than I thought.

BTW, the M allows one to disable the 'movie' button, which is what I do. ALL pertinent info….card, battery, etc... is available by ONE simple push of the, you know, INFO button.

Technology has indeed come a long way….one just needs to buy the user oriented version…

and not splurge on the less intuitive and less user friendly Audi variety. Methinks the white gloves and fancy box speak volumes for Leica's intended audience….at least for this special edition….sorta like a concept car, which may or may not ever see a production version. But it is pretty.

Jeff

Yep, the M60 is perfect for those who don't want a tv on the back….

Better on the back than in the VF…plus the M lets you view the news, not useless pop-up captions, and it comes with an off button. ;)

Oh yes, and perfect too for those who don't want a strap. What's that you said about actually taking lots of stills? Better first get it unwrapped from the cloth and….careful now.. out of the bag. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Better on the back than in the VF…plus the M lets you view the news, not useless pop-up captions, and it comes with an off button. ;)

Oh yes, and perfect too for those who don't want a strap. What's that you said about actually taking lots of stills? Better first get it unwrapped from the cloth and….careful now.. out of the bag. :rolleyes:

Jeff

No time to argue with you, am out shooting with the M60:p.

i noticed from your image that the shutter release is smooth & slightly raised above the on/off switch. do you find it requires the same amount of pressure to depress, copared with the standard 240 (or your monochrome) or is it softer or heavier to the touch?

this was a genuine question...can any owner answer?

this was a genuine question...can any owner answer?

I had the M240 for a long while and now have the M-P240 - same difference for shutter. M60 is based on the M240/M-P240 - only cosmetically altered.

I no longer have my Monochrom. The M9 shutter release in the MM felt different to the M240. The M60 feels very similar to the M/-P240 - a springy motion down to a stop position, below which you need to press more firmly to release the shutter. Comparing my M-P240 and M60 side by side, the M-P240 has a slightly firmer first part (i.e. the M60 feels a touch lighter initially), but they feel the same in the final part of the shutter release.

Just like the M/-P240, pressing down gently will awaken the camera, bring up the frame lines and the shutter speed for the picture you are about to take.

• Like 1