Leica M 240 hand grip

rob_w

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just attached the hand grip to my new M 240. Good fit and I like the exact match to the M's own covering.

Two observations on things which surprised me:

1. There is a silver screw hole in a prominent position on the upright, presumably where the finger loop can be attached. I really don't like the appearance of this and thought there might have been a cover over it for people (like me) not using the loop.
  2. The attachment method has changed. It uses the tripod socket and a new socket is provided on the base, displaced from the centre. I don't use a tripod but if you do, it is worth considering whether this relocation will suit you.

If anyone has found a way to cover the silver screw hole I would be grateful for suggestions.

Wonder why Leica didn't include a plug for it like they do for the tripod foot on the equally-expensive M-to-R adapter. I don't (and won't) have the grip but before I would stuff a wad of crap in that hole I would see if I could find an allen screw the proper size/pitch/depth which would plug it and not sit proud like a headed screw would.

A blob of Blutac should do the job and would be removable should you want to sell it in the future. ...

Blutac will cover the hole but it could cause unexpected problems with WiFi or GPS because the main constituent of Blutac is very fine, dense clay that radio frequency signals find difficult to penetrate. I found this out first hand with a portable SatNav device and sticking a remote aerial to my windscreen with Blutac.:o

Pete.

Blutac will cover the hole but it could cause unexpected problems with WiFi or GPS because the main constituent of Blutac is very fine, dense clay that radio frequency signals find difficult to penetrate. I found this out first hand with a portable SatNav device and sticking a remote aerial to my windscreen with Blutac.:o

Pete.

My version doesn't do GPS. :) But neither does the tiny hole bother me.

• Like 1

I really fail to see the problem with the screw hole as when holding the camera it is covered by your hand. More to the point be aware that after a while because of the way it's designed your finger tips rub against the covering of the camera body so you will find the covering may wear away. I have stuck a length of electrical tape there after this started to happen to protect from further wear