Leica Hand Grip

Edwin Ho

2 minutes ago, idusidusi said:

I appreciate the grip, for the grip it gives me, also for the ARCA section and the soft release. Those two transform my M experience.

Can you please elaborate "soft release". Is there an option for this (like the M9)?

3 minutes ago, idusidusi said:

https://store.leica-camera.com/ch/de/soft-release-button-leica-12mm-chrom?number=14015

As example.

After trying one, I don't like it when I lose it, and have the normal M11 release.

Thank you for clarification, so it is the soft release button. I do not have one and would consider it a non-essential accessory.

BTW, with the hand grip it is easier to half press the shutter button to lock in exposure, especially when center-weighted or spot exposure metering is used.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the Thumb Grip (third party) in the mail today and had the chance to test it with Hand Grip attached.

The following is my impression:

• With hand grip alone - provides stability, especially when tab focusing. This accessory will stay permanently on my M11. I do not feel the added weight being an issue at all. IMO, this is an integral part of the M11 though it is rather costly as an added accessory. It enhances my user experience. I have no regret buying this item.
  • Using the hand grip together with the thumb grip, it increases stability further. However the absence of the thumb grip is not critical.
  • Using the thumb grip alone (without hand grip), is the least one should have for increased stability. I find the slightly raised thumb grip provided in the M11 rather inadequate  (I have small hands, perhaps others with larger hands may find it otherwise).

So now both the thumb grip and hand grip stay on my M11 and I am very pleased with this. I posted the original thread with the hope that I will receive constructive advice and I am glad to report that I did. Thank you all for your input.

Edited by Edwin Ho
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, Edwin Ho said:

I received the Thumb Grip (third party) in the mail today and had the chance to test it with Hand Grip attached.

The following is my impression:

• With hand grip alone - provides stability, especially when tab focusing. This accessory will stay permanently on my M11. I do not feel the added weight being an issue at all. IMO, this is an integral part of the M11 though it is rather costly as an added accessory. It enhances my user experience. I have no regret buying this item.
  • Using the hand grip together with the thumb grip, it increases stability further. However the absence of the thumb grip is not critical.
  • Using the thumb grip alone (without hand grip), is the least one should have for increased stability. I find the slightly raised thumb grip provided in the M11 rather inadequate  (I have small hands, perhaps others with larger hands may find it otherwise).

So now both the thumb grip and hand grip stay on my M11 and I am very pleased with this. I posted the original thread with the hope that I will receive constructive advice and I am glad to report that I did. Thank you all for your input.

I used to have both the grip and thumb grip but since i prefer to travel lights, i found that the thumb grip alone would provide stability sufficiently to my way of shooting, say a noctilux 0.95 widest open, that being said, with both the grip and thumb grip, one gets better stability no doubts 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jakontil said:

I used to have both the grip and thumb grip but since i prefer to travel lights, i found that the thumb grip alone would provide stability sufficiently to my way of shooting, say a noctilux 0.95 widest open, that being said, with both the grip and thumb grip, one gets better stability no doubts 

Certainly using just the thumb grip alone is an option if travelling light is preferred. This is what I was used to when shooting with M9 (never own a hand grip for M9).

I had not used the hand grip almost ever mostly because I like the camera on a leather case.  My brother prompted me to get the thumb grip and after I tried the combo of hand grip and thumb grip I have not gone back.  It is just incredibly comfortable to shoot with both.  Highly recommend it. basically with both on te balance is perfect on one hand, freeing the other to focus and stabilize in low light.  

the hand grip also makes it easier to use adjust speed on the fly. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 12:31 AM, intangiblethings said:

I'm about to go full out, got the handgrip to go with my Thumbs Up and waiting on a used finger loop from eBay lol. 

I shoot vertically quite a bit with a off-camera flash in hand so it's helpful to have a bit more security. 

Inthink you'll find the handgrip with the thumbs up is all you'll need.  The loop is ok if you don't have the thumbs up but to me it always get's on my way.  I do have big hands though.

3 hours ago, S Maclean said:

Inthink you'll find the handgrip with the thumbs up is all you'll need.  The loop is ok if you don't have the thumbs up but to me it always get's on my way.  I do have big hands though.

I just added the loop to the thumb and hand grip, in order to completely remove the strap. I have pretty small/medium hands. Right now it’s a trial period with the loop. Feels locked in when I hold. The only negative is that I obsessively check to see if the loop is getting unscrewed. 

Personally, I'd never shoot without the handgrip.  With the 11, I have the Leica grip, but I'm seriously contemplating buying another RRS. Long story short, in ten years, I have twice taken spills that would have destroyed the camera had I not had the grip and L-bracket.  While the grip took some damage, the camera came away unscathed with no issues other than having to recalibrate the RF.  Cheap insurance. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 8:24 AM, chuhsi1 said:

I couldn't stand how the grip kept poking me when I wasn't using the camera.

You'll soon get used to it. I don't find it poking into me.

BTW, if you do feel the handgrip, it just assures you that the camera is not stolen. 😁

On 9/15/2022 at 7:24 AM, chuhsi1 said:

About the thumb grip, does it not poke you when the camera is hanging from your strap? I wear my camera like sling where it sits near my lower back. While I love shooting with the thumb grip, I couldn't stand how the grip kept poking me when I wasn't using the camera.

Yeah it does, sometimes it almost like breaking my ribs.. but i am so used with thumbs up in digital M, but weird not need for film, i might be so biased with this

may be i should take it off 

My M11 with RRS Grip/Bracket, ZM 35mm/1.4, Domke Gripper strap, and Visoflex 2. I plan to add some gun grip type textured rubber to the RRS grip, but it's already a better design than that for the Leica M-P typ 240 I have.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the Leica hand-grip attached, I have decided not to use the thumb-grip.

It does not suit me ergonomically as it rubs against my first thumb joint.

I find the M11's raised thumb-grip good enough for stability when used together with the Leica hand-grip (I have small hand).

However the thumb-grip may suit those with a larger hand.

FYI, I used a thumb-grip on my M9 and do not experience similar issue mentioned above.

Edited by Edwin Ho

20 hours ago, jakontil said:

Yeah it does, sometimes it almost like breaking my ribs.. but i am so used with thumbs up in digital M, but weird not need for film, i might be so biased with this

may be i should take it off 

It takes time to get to know the M11 and its accessories; I am going through that phase now.

Struggled a bit to set up a landscape profile with capture assist, but is all good now.