Leica Hand Grip

Edwin Ho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/5/2022 at 12:02 PM, jakontil said:

I used to have both the grip and thumb grip but since i prefer to travel lights, i found that the thumb grip alone would provide stability sufficiently to my way of shooting, say a noctilux 0.95 widest open, that being said, with both the grip and thumb grip, one gets better stability no doubts 

Good suggestion, I may just use the thumb grip (without the handgrip) when I wish to travel light.

• Like 1

PSA: when fitting the M11 hand grip, half-eject the battery first, and use this to correctly align the grip onto the base of the M11.

This guarantees the battery will not foul on the grip base during ejection.

If you fit the grip without doing this, it can be subtly out of alignment, even with the alignment pin in place, and obstruct the battery door, causing the ejecting battery to jam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My hands are large.  The grip is uncomfortable for me, since it requires squeezing it with just the finger tips at an awkward angle.  I prefer having the full length of my fingers flat against the body.  However, I then found out it is even more comfortable with the added bulk of a (Leica) half case.  I also use the thumb support to complete the package.  While all that is about function, the added benefit of the half-case turned out to be the wonderful smell of the leather that Leica uses.  Every time I raise the camera to my eye I imagine walking into a shoe store.

8 hours ago, harmen said:

My hands are large.  The grip is uncomfortable for me, since it requires squeezing it with just the finger tips at an awkward angle.  I prefer having the full length of my fingers flat against the body.  However, I then found out it is even more comfortable with the added bulk of a (Leica) half case.  I also use the thumb support to complete the package.  While all that is about function, the added benefit of the half-case turned out to be the wonderful smell of the leather that Leica uses.  Every time I raise the camera to my eye I imagine walking into a shoe store.

I use the arca mount, so the grip has multiple uses for me

Neither.  I shoot Leicas because of their natural ergonomic and sleek design that, for me, negates any reason to enlarge the camera in any way.  I purchased the black because I didn't want the weight of the silver. Additionally, If you're shooting quickly and need to add a fill-flash or Viso-Flex 2, you can't do so with the thumb-grip installed.  It's all a matter of how you shoot but neither for me. 

Edited by DenverSteve
  • Like 2

well thumbs grip is nice with larger lenses . but then Visoflex can be a challenge. Thumbie is a glue based grip, it works well but it moves too.

Handgrip from Leica is an option, and I use it because I have large hands. I have to take it off when I mount the 135 2.8 with glasses.

I find 3rd party grips with flatter profile Buch more confutable.

If Leica would only bring back a better solution, like the film advance lever M10-D

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Personally I like using the Leica thumb grip and hand grip combo - feels very secure and comfortable with a wrist loop.  Just right!

The two items weigh in at 99gm so not a lot of extra bulk to carry about, I also like the arca feature on the base, makes tripod mounting very easy and stable.

Only takes a few seconds to remove thumb grip and put on Visio if desired.

• 7 months later...

For a cheaper alternative to the genuine Leica M11 handgrip have a look at the one by Gurippu. It is designed in Canada, but made in Hong Kong. It is slightly thinner than the genuine one, both baseplate and grip and is smooth to match the top/base plate rather than leatherette. It has openings for USB and battery/SD but no Rubber covering. It acts as an arca swiss qr plate like the Leica one and is about half the price (I paid 175 gbp instead of 330 gbp for Leica). I now have the Leica one on my M11 and the Gurippu one on my M11M.

• Like 1

I'm just not an accessory grip guy...

For me the Leica half case is everything I want to add. It feels great and enhances grip, just as it is. It also offers a degree of added protection, certainly to bottom edges and sides, without adding appreciably to the camera's size or sticking out in any way; so I can still carry two bodies with lenses mounted plus a couple extra lenses in the Billingham Leica bag. 

Just right!

56 minutes ago, DadDadDaddyo said:

I'm just not an accessory grip guy...

For me the Leica half case is everything I want to add. It feels great and enhances grip, just as it is. It also offers a degree of added protection, certainly to bottom edges and sides, without adding appreciably to the camera's size or sticking out in any way; so I can still carry two bodies with lenses mounted plus a couple extra lenses in the Billingham Leica bag. 

Just right!

I find the leather cases a bit in the “retired dentist” aesthetic. 

A case made of the same material they used in the Reporter editions I could go for though. 

• Haha 1

I dunno. High quality leather is the same material they've been making their cases out of for decades. Good stuff. 

To me it's the glommed-on accessories, the knock-off RRS-ljke brackets, etc., that smack of the perceived need to accessorize one's new purchase. The only thing missing is the Photographer's Vest. But that's just me. Everyone's mileage may vary. 

In fact, one's only debate over accessories like this should be with oneself, in response to one's own desires, wishes, and needs. 

So more power to the hand grip guys! No offense intended; Enjoy!

On 8/25/2022 at 9:44 AM, Edwin Ho said:

Having placed an order for a thumb grip, I am wondering if a hand grip is necessary.

I would like to hear from those who is currently using a hand grip (with or without a thumb grip).

I first bought the thumb grip for my M11, then the Visoflex II, which makes the thumb grip not useable at the same time. For me, a hand grip would be better.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I use the Leica hand grip and thumb grip for both the Q2 and M10. Ergonomically the combo is ideal for me. The finger loop is another option that attaches to the handgrip and the Q2 is light enough for me to carry it that way without the neck strap. The M10 with lens is too heavy that way. I want to be ready to shoot without having to reach for the camera bag. The finger loop takes some used to because it twists your hand a certain way making the shutter button position a bit awkward. The shutter needs to be in the front more for it to be ergonomic.