Sometimes I experience a lag between shots M-P(240)

halayli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am able to take a photo right after the shutter releases, though I may have seen a slight delay at 1/2" a few times on the third or fourth shot.

I can't see why I would ever shoot this way at slow shutter speeds without stabilization so I don't think this is something I would have ever encountered.

I agree that this is not a practical use case but I just wanted to know if it's a camera problem so that I can return it (it's 1 week old).

I tested my own M-P with the settings you described. I did not encounter any lag that concerns me. I simply don't need the camera to be any faster between shots at these types of settings.

You appear to be pressing the shutter release multiple times at a rate faster than the camera would shoot in continuous drive mode. The camera doesn't queue up the number of shutter release presses and you see missed shots. I would not expect to be able to shoot faster in single shot mode than the camera will shoot in continuous mode. I recommend using continuous drive when you need multiple shots in succession.

The Leica is simply slower shot to shot than some cameras. My Nikon D4s is faster altogether than the Leica including when using the settings you've described. After thousands of shots with the Leica I've not encountered any lag in real world use that has caused a problem and I don't notice any shot to shot lag issues (other than long exposures where noise reduction is performed).

I doubt there is anything different about your camera so I would recommend looking for another camera if you need faster shot to shot times at slow shutter speeds and high-ISO. I do wonder if the Leica is attempting some sort of processing on the embedded jpg files at higher ISO that results in some of the shot to shot delay. Removing the SD card does not preclude this as I don't believe card write time is what creates any perceptible lag.

Even the fact that I pressed and the picture wasn't taken although the shutter was released?
Not really. The camera simply can’t write with the whole memory filled. Some cameras have a larger buffer than the M9P, many a smaller one.

What scene would you be photographing in such a manner? A video camera would seem more appropriate.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Three thoughts worth trying (in order of likelihood of helping):

1) Don't use the image preview. It takes processing time to prepare and display the image.

2) Don't shoot below 1/2 sec. Pump up the ISO. Per what I quickly looked up online, the camera performs dark frame subtraction for speeds of 1 second and longer.

3) Are you using classic or advanced metering? Classic does not require the shutter to cycle, although I do not hear that operation in your video.

Good luck.

You appear to be pressing the shutter release multiple times at a rate faster than the camera would shoot in continuous drive mode. The camera doesn't queue up the number of shutter release presses and you see missed shots. I would not expect to be able to shoot faster in single shot mode than the camera will shoot in continuous mode. I recommend using continuous drive when you need multiple shots in succession.

This seems to be the correct answer. The camera is designed to shoot no faster than 3 fps, and that is only in continuous mode and only at faster shutter speeds. In the video it appears you are trying to shoot faster than that. Your second press is almost immediate. But a slow shutter speed has added to the time needed between shots. Ideally the camera would just delay the second shot another fraction of a second until it is ready, rather than not shoot at all.

• Like 2

OP

I have decided to make you an offer on your obviously defective M240. I will offer US$240, but if you insist I will offer you Euros240, that's it, as I cannot afford more!

To OP,

I will split your Leica kit with Louis. You can have my Nikon D700 or equivalent monetary value, it is very fast, just send me your APO 50mm.

From the video, it is clear that the red LED is flashing, meaning the camera is busy processing.

That happens when the buffer is full, and when the camera is taking an extra exposure to compensate sensor noise.

In the latter case, you hear two identical shutter open/close cycles for a single shot (or close/open/close and open/close/open if you are using LV).

Pg. 191 of the manual:

"...following exposures with slower shutter speeds (below approx. 1/30s, differing depending on other menu settings) the Leica M automatically takes a second "black picture" (with the shutter closed). The noise present in this parallel picture is then digitally “subtracted” from the data for the real picture."

This dark frame subtraction will result in a lag or delay at longer shutter speeds.

Another factor as previously noted would be the advanced metering mode, though it seems you have it off? Also keep in mind that setting ISO to 1250 and higher will result in a maximum frame rate of about 1 fps and a reduced buffer depth, at least with the regular M. Not sure if the fps rate also drops with the M-P. Since it has a deeper buffer than the M, it shouldn't run into that problem as quickly.

• Like 1

halal,

This behavior is simply dark field noise reduction at work. That's all. At 1/2sec + 1/2 second of dark field the camera won't be recycled and ready for the next shot any faster than >1.0 seconds.

In shooting this camera just take a split second longer before you depress the shutter a second time and you will be fine. At 1/2sec it might be wise to hold the shutter button down through the entire shutter sequence and try not to stab at the shutter button to assure the lowest amount of camera shake. Then, release slowly and smoothly... then depress again slowly and smoothly to get the least amount of camera shake for the second shot. For me, it is impossible to go faster than the camera can cycle at 1/2sec setting.

Lastly, I'm impressed the camera doesn't lock-up with multiple shutter accusations during the dark field and write sequence. Good to know that Leica engineers have thought about this.

Rick

• Like 1

halal,

This behavior is simply dark field noise reduction at work. That's all. At 1/2sec + 1/2 second of dark field the camera won't be recycled and ready for the next shot any faster than >1.0 seconds.

In shooting this camera just take a split second longer before you depress the shutter a second time and you will be fine. At 1/2sec it might be wise to hold the shutter button down through the entire shutter sequence and try not to stab at the shutter button to assure the lowest amount of camera shake. Then, release slowly and smoothly... then depress again slowly and smoothly to get the least amount of camera shake for the second shot. For me, it is impossible to go faster than the camera can cycle at 1/2sec setting.

Lastly, I'm impressed the camera doesn't lock-up with multiple shutter accusations during the dark field and write sequence. Good to know that Leica engineers have thought about this.

Rick

Freud at work ? :D:D

halal,

Rick

What's a shutter accusation?