Failed AFwith weird sounds on 35 and 120 lens?

aCIDfire

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

My CS70 is back after 3 weeks. Well done Leica.

Why with the well done Leica BS.............it shouldn't have failed in the first place :(

• 1 month later...

Leica component is really bad!

I am worried how long before my lens AF motor go burst!

That is a valid concern. These failures are alarming and at the prices these lenses are sold for, very disconcerting. The AF on my S 120MM failed (for the 2nd time), I sent it to Leica Germany. While they did fix it for free, it took 5 months before I got it back.  

That is a valid concern. These failures are alarming and at the prices these lenses are sold for, very disconcerting. The AF on my S 120MM failed (for the 2nd time), I sent it to Leica Germany. While they did fix it for free, it took 5 months before I got it back.  

I think they are inexperience with electrical component. Japanese do this way better than them.

The return time for Leica's item is also pretty long. Although their email response time and their customer service personnel are pretty good and friendly and helpful.

Why with the well done Leica BS.............it shouldn't have failed in the first place :(

Well, of course - in the same way that the 7 Series BMW that I used to drive should not ever have failed (it did), the same way that the graphics card in my MacBook Pro Retina should not ever have failed (but it did), the same way that my Panerai watch should not have broken (it did twice). In each case, the above companies (or their dealers) offered impeccable service, without trying the 'you are to blame' BS on me. You probably live in a different universe where expensive things don't fail (maybe the oil rigs are a different universe, what do I know...). Leica have been moving to a new factory and repair times on the M system have been very long (took 10 weeks with my M-P with failed shutter - and no, that's not a well done). Regarding the S system, though, I appreciate that they do their best to keep return times reasonably short, even though 3 weeks may be long for some people. I've had other problems with my S2 in the past (vertical lines running across the sensor...) and the return times on those occasions were 1-2 weeks, with no bullshit/full support from my dealer (Leica Shop in Vienna). In summary, I've experienced what I call good service regarding the S line. That's why a 'well done Leica' from me. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Well, of course - in the same way that the 7 Series BMW that I used to drive should not ever have failed (it did), the same way that the graphics card in my MacBook Pro Retina should not ever have failed (but it did), the same way that my Panerai watch should not have broken (it did twice). In each case, the above companies (or their dealers) offered impeccable service, without trying the 'you are to blame' BS on me. You probably live in a different universe where expensive things don't fail (maybe the oil rigs are a different universe, what do I know...). Leica have been moving to a new factory and repair times on the M system have been very long (took 10 weeks with my M-P with failed shutter - and no, that's not a well done). Regarding the S system, though, I appreciate that they do their best to keep return times reasonably short, even though 3 weeks may be long for some people. I've had other problems with my S2 in the past (vertical lines running across the sensor...) and the return times on those occasions were 1-2 weeks, with no bullshit/full support from my dealer (Leica Shop in Vienna). In summary, I've experienced what I call good service regarding the S line. That's why a 'well done Leica' from me. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

what part of my comment didn't you like or understand?????

what part of my comment didn't you like or understand?????

I wrote 'well done Leica' to which you replied that my comment was bullshit and that the lens should never have failed. I would not think of commenting any of your messages here as BS... purely out of respect. Difficult to understand?

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I just meant that there is a thread here specific to failed AF motors on the Leica S lenses. If that's the case me as an owner of the Leica S camera and lenses I am waiting on my ones to fail to and don't have that warm fuzzy feeling about all this BS

The BS in my original message was not directed at you

I just meant that there is a thread here specific to failed AF motors on the Leica S lenses. If that's the case me as an owner of the Leica S camera and lenses I am waiting on my ones to fail to and don't have that warm fuzzy feeling about all this BS

The BS in my original message was not directed at you

OK, no worries. I do share your concern that this may be a trend and it is contributing to my doubts as to whether I should replace my S2 with the 007 when it comes out later this year. Interestingly, my original three lenses (35,70,120) bought in 2011 never had any problem. Only when I replaced the 70 non-CS with a new 70 CS last year did I experience my first failure. I'd appreciate more clarity from Leica as to whether these failures are confined to lenses with certain serial numbers etc. - they must know by now what the problem is and perhaps should issue a general recall. I don't like the possibility of another failure either, especially when I take the camera to far away places where service is difficult to reach.