Leica NASA

I want those controls for an M4. I tried to make my own shutter dial extension but it did not work out well.

They would really help when working with gloves, and for people with handicaps. One of the reasons I got the M7s (with motor winds) and the M9 was to take advantage of the excellent A mode - avoiding the shutter speed dial.

Edited by pico

The large rewind knob seems rather an odd addition because I'd have thought that changing films whilst wearing space suit gloves would be a bit of challenge and something best left to when gloves aren't being worn (making the large knurled knob somewhat superfluous). Also interesting to see that this camera, dated as 1966, has a slanted rewind knob like the M4 which arrived a little later and also shows what might be one of the earliest uses of a soft release.:D

The large rewind knob seems rather an odd addition because I'd have thought that changing films whilst wearing space suit gloves

Excellent point! It might have been a better idea to make film cartridges, or as they finally chose long roll medium format detachable magazines.

Now we know why they decided to use Hasselblads and Nikons. Easily interchangeable backs for the Hasselblads and long roll (250) exposure backs for the Nikons. A great idea with all of the modifications. The extended rewind lever and huge rewind knob were to have the roll rewound before returning to the spacecraft. I would like to have seen the finder intended for the top plate! Thanks for this look at a smal piece of the early years of manned spaceflight.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The large rewind knob seems rather an odd addition because I'd have thought that changing films whilst wearing space suit gloves would be a bit of challenge and something best left to when gloves aren't being worn (making the large knurled knob somewhat superfluous)

Obviously it was intended to be used, look at the base plate release, equally large, but not one assumes the spool !! which is where the problem would start :D

Obviously it was intended to be used, look at the base plate release, equally large, but not one assumes the spool !! which is where the problem would start :D

I cannot see the base plate release. Oh, and there was no film take-up spool. It used the 'tulip' type of take-up.

The astronauts left the cameras on the moon, didn't they? So this one may have never made the trip.

It seems body was based on MDa plus there is no evidence of external VF. Coupled with fast lens (Noctilux 50mm f1.2) I would imagine prototype did not impress NASA evaluators.

As they say rest is history, Hasselblad and Nikon - going strong in space today despite all the inferior optics :p.

• 3 weeks later...

The Leica MS for Navy was much nicer, imho.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 3

After all special add on, I see that the advance film lever looks like just reversed on the other face and with a little stripped piece of metal soldered on its end to make a better grip for the thumb.

and also a riveted finger on the diapragm ring for making the setting easy with gloves.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jc_braconi
  • Like 1

The serrated edge on that extended film advance lever looks perfect for ripping a hole in a space suit or snagging on part of the life support system! :)

:) Not likely

Those suits are tough! At one time, and possibly today, each suit was hand stitched by a community cottage industry. Cor bless otherwise bored house types.