Beyond 1.102 -- time for a new laundry list?

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From Mark

I think the focal length menu should pop up whether or not you are using IR filters to allow the user a simple way of getting the EXIF data correct when lens detection is set to "On"

I think this would solve the whole issue right here . The lens selection in menu should come up regardless if filters are on or off. I understand defaulting to a certain value like 18mm since the lens can't tell what setting you have but it should remember your last setting until you change lens or turn off

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thats a great list, to it I would add

option to advance shutter only after release is released-

possibility of a "silent mode" where winder operates at half speed or something like that-??

option on playback to show clipped pixels only and no histogram, -the histogram is great but like the lens in the viewfinder, it is in my way and in the same place! dang!

ditto on shorter startup, venetian (also I have a variant that is red, like venetian with red sauce!) ev comp etc.

thanks!

It happens when the camera has been used with a different coded lens. Replace the CV15 and the camera asks which focal length: 16,18 or 21, with the default for 18. After that it is OK for as long as one uses it.

I misunderstood. I thought it happened randomly.

Hans

From Mark

I think the focal length menu should pop up whether or not you are using IR filters to allow the user a simple way of getting the EXIF data correct when lens detection is set to "On"

I think this would solve the whole issue right here . The lens selection in menu should come up regardless if filters are on or off. I understand defaulting to a certain value like 18mm since the lens can't tell what setting you have but it should remember your last setting until you change lens or turn off

And forget this default stuff -- have the stored focal length stay whatever it was last defined as if you close the dialog with menu, set, info, or shutter button. Right now, it isn't clear whether the default is what the exif says or what the dialog remembers.

scott

Guest guy_mancuso

Well i do like that idea Scott , Just wondering if they can do that, of course it does remember ISO and profiles and such when turned off. What would be really cool if it did remember the last setting but if you went from 16 to 18mm for example the dialogue box pops up. That would be a neat trick but I wonder if the camera as any clue that you switched focal length.

Guest guy_mancuso

Okay let's add that part of it to the List. So for the WATE we should say fix the ON/ON/IR setup to always be there in the menu options for both not just the one ON/IR and let's lose the default to 18mm, but remember the last setting until user makes the change when they change focal length just as a ISO setting remains even if you turn the camera off and on the last setting rules but if you remove the lens and put back on keep the automatic pop-up menu option

All of the above would be great, but I am still bothered by the AWB, which sometimes is all over the place. Never experienced it with other digital cameras, so I am assuming it can be corrected via Firmware.

I don't know if they can fix this or not, though I'm sure they can make it better than it is now :)

Certainly there is no dedicated WB sensor that other digicams seem to have, and instead IIRC the M8 uses the shutter to measure AWB.

While this is broken, it doesn't bother me that much. It's surprising just how wrong the WB can be even from cameras that seem to get it right :) So I always do something more manual myself anyway (even if only to set a preset).

Just sent a note to Leica with this thread and also told them I am working on a new list.

If the forum members could try tonumber a request so it is a little easier for me to pick up on.

Now just so everyone knows some of these bugs have been reported already

Venetian Blinds both red and white

Play back skipping on last frame

Fast scrolling

and one or too more

Also on features Leica did recieve our feature list, which I sent awhile back so they do have that one also. Here is that list

1. Lens selection option "in menu"

2. Optional 16 Bit setting like the DMR or better option

3. EV/ISO option with controls of either arrows or wheel , protect or set buttons. Whatever is fast and confirmed. Idea flash in VF what was set when confirmed

4. B&W optional b/w review, without having to write JPEG

5 Warning of non coded lens

6. Full name of lens in EXIF data sample 50mm summilux 1.4 as it is read by the coding

7. 15mm F4, 24mm 1.4 or F 2 , 28 1.4 ( some really fast wide angles )and than a line of lenses like the 28 2.8 that will be less costs like a 75 2.8 , 90 2.8 or think about 1.33 image circle digital specific lens

8 SDHC compatible or new standard *This is not a leica call per say but industry standard

9 Travel charger smaller

Great list Guy, good luck pushing it with Leica.

Guest tummydoc

5 Warning of non coded lens

How is that proposed to function? I (and I believe a lot of people) have no intention of coding any uncoded lenses other than those wide angles that need cyan vignetting correction. Wouldn't want the M8 to make using un-coded lenses any more unnecessarily handicapped than it is. Plain and simple there needs to be a user-selectable lens list a la Nikon D200. I'm willing to sign a waiver indemnifying Leica from responsibility if I screw up using it, if that's truly what they're worried about. Never happened with my D200.

9 Travel charger smaller

I'll take two two of them, or one charger that can do 2 batteries at once.

Guest sirvine

All right, this is bordering on wish list here, but I'd like an all histogram view on the LCD (as in, no preview, only a high quality histogram). This would useful to me....

Want to add:

Choice of ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600

I need the 200, when we do a grouping photo session using join flash studio set up.

JSJ

Sean already pointed out some time ago that 160 is actually 200. Can't you correct with exposure compensation?

Guest guy_mancuso
How is that proposed to function? I (and I believe a lot of people) have no intention of coding any uncoded lenses other than those wide angles that need cyan vignetting correction. Wouldn't want the M8 to make using un-coded lenses any more unnecessarily handicapped than it is. Plain and simple there needs to be a user-selectable lens list a la Nikon D200. I'm willing to sign a waiver indemnifying Leica from responsibility if I screw up using it, if that's truly what they're worried about. Never happened with my D200.

I'll take two two of them, or one charger that can do 2 batteries at once.

I believe we bagged the warning one. So that is off the list. This was sent a long time ago