Beyond 1.102 -- time for a new laundry list?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

if i may ask a DMR owner to shoot the back of a LCD to show this. I highly recommend this setup more. This solves all the issues of seeing full clipping, full histo and full image all at the same time.

We need to think about this because it really could look like a clutter mess and be even more confusing and slow you down

Here it is:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I also like this feature.

Another feature I would ask for is the option for a delete confirmation each time you delete a picture, just like it is in the DMR. That would be a user-selectable option, so that people who like the current format can still have it that way.

I would also really like the arrow buttons enabled for exposure compensation and ISO change as previously suggested.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The number one and fundamental issue for me is the start up time. A Leica M has a deserved reputation as the best tool for street photography, however I have missed countless shots due to the M8's slow wake up time, very frustrating. Hopefully t:) his is a possible firmware fix.

Yes, it is too long.

I am learning to press the shutter before focusing...or the moment I see there is something to be shot, but I also lost some shots...

My Ds2 acts like a film camera in this case, there is almost no wakeup time.

Maybe because of the problems reported on early cameras-if you press the shutter from sleep, the image has rainbow streaks (probably the CCD needs wakeup or heatup time for a second) , Leica has made this time longer?

This shouldn't be.

Guy, things are quiet on the forum, so here's my take at summarizing the laundry list update for next public firmware release after 1.02. Maybe you can wrap it all up and send it off to Germany at your breakfast hour, which is close-of-business for them...

firmware cleanup items:

keep fixing lockups, such as sensor clean

faster startups

make all defaults reflect actual use or user confirmation

* exposure saved when the meter shuts off should be last shot, not last seen, since last seen is usually the floor or the lens cap.

* lens selection for the WATE should default to last selected, not to 18 mm

better UI consistency

* lens dialog in ON same as in ON+UV/IR

* predictable exits (The lens select dialogs are the biggest offender, but this needs review as new features come on line.)

* PLAY --> last shot image

* MENU --> menu

* SET and light shutter press --> ready for action

Add specific vignetting correction in use to the "software" exif tag ON vs ON+UV/IR

Overdue features

SDHC support for fast cards at 4GB and 8GB and ...

fix the fat green stripe when light strikes the black level cells at sides of frame

bigger histogram (maybe white line like the DMR has)

keep improving (or redo) AWB

"silent" shutter -- press to shoot, release to wind it up for the next shot (in S mode, not in C or self-timer) now that the Canon EOS1D III offers it.

monochrome preview option in all compression modes

Nice to have someday:

separate viewfinder options for the wide angle and for the telephoto crowds. With these could come framelines for 21 and 135 lenses, rspw.

what's left out? last chance till Fall!

scott

Guest guy_mancuso

I made it in this morning. Forgot all my passwords.

Scott that looks really good . I think it is time to send. I will give it another hour or two and reread all the comments just to be sure but i think you nailed them pretty good

Along with the brief desicriptions you might want to include the steps to reporduce, where they exist. That will help the programmers fix the bugs. The more detail you can give them the better. This is especially true where there is a language difference.

Guest guy_mancuso

John i was going to describe each one a little more also. I agree my e-mails back and forth from Germany are let's say a little challenging to read. LOL

Seriously though they are very friendly and do listen to what you say , may not always do what you ask but they do take note of it.

Guy,

How about recommending Leica USA repair start using Quantum View with their UPS shipments? If Tony Rose and many others can do it I don't see why not Leica. It would probably cut Robert's email and phone messages in half or more. I left a phone message with him yesterday wondering what was up with my replacement M8 - 15 minutes later UPS was delivering it at my door (and I'm rarely home during the day but just happened to be yesterday). If I had known it was coming then I wouldn't have bothered him. A few hours spent on their end automating to the computer age could probably save them (and us) a lot of future hassle.

This is probably out of your/our purview, but you do seem to have quite an in there (getting your 135 custom mount changed in record time - heck I'm out five weeks plus on just a lens repair estimate let alone the actual repair).

Guest guy_mancuso

Leica like many companies pick a carrier and run all there shipments through them at special rates . I am sure this is the case with leica plus UPS is also global and maybe a great carrier in Gerrmany as well as here in the States. What many of you have not noticed is everything leica does is second day air and I mean everything except these filters which I think a 3rd party is doing that

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy,

How about recommending Leica USA repair start using Quantum View with their UPS shipments? If Tony Rose and many others can do it I don't see why not Leica. It would probably cut Robert's email and phone messages in half or more. I left a phone message with him yesterday wondering what was up with my replacement M8 - 15 minutes later UPS was delivering it at my door (and I'm rarely home during the day but just happened to be yesterday). If I had known it was coming then I wouldn't have bothered him. A few hours spent on their end automating to the computer age could probably save them (and us) a lot of future hassle.

This is probably out of your/our purview, but you do seem to have quite an in there (getting your 135 custom mount changed in record time - heck I'm out five weeks plus on just a lens repair estimate let alone the actual repair).

They wanted to get the 135mm back in my hands so all of you can see what it does. I guess they were very excited about doing this also. My 75 lux is still there waiting for more mounts to be delivered so they can code it for me.

But Yes i do have a nice relationship with the folks in the US and Germany from leica . They are really very nice folks. I'm just hoping that things will speed up for them , they really have been slammed with work on all fronts and it has been hard on there customers.

Guy,

Yes, but Quantum View is a function of UPS. It sends an automated tracking email to the recipient, who can then track the shipment from start to finish. It then sends a confirmation email that it's been delivered. Pretty important stuff when we're dealing with many K worth of equipment.

I applaud Leica for sending 2nd Day UPS. But if I don't know it's coming that can be a real hassle.

Take care.

i say keep the m8 simple like an mp and let the gnomes make all these decisions.....b

Ha! Simple? Let's see - IR/UV filters, lens coding, lens adjustments, Sudden Death Syndromes, extended stays at the spa in Solms (alas without the owner), and the list goes on. I'll take a few more firmware features for my/our perseverance in simplicity, thank you. Use em or don't, but at least we all get the choice.

I would add

Light shutter press cancel long exposure (e.g. when picture taken with lens cap on)

avoids need to turn camera off then on and wait for start-up

I agree that we need better and more robust exits, with consistent thinking behind them. Changing your mind after discovering that you have started the self-timer countdown is another example, with the added concern that one user has reported that signaling power-off caused a lock-up. I agree that power off-on is too crude, but using the first part of the shutter button travel may be too sensitive for some.

Where else does this class of problem occur -- difficulty backing out of something that the camera has decided to do?

scott