Beyond 1.102 -- time for a new laundry list?

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm jealous of myself , was not expecting to do this but my wife said go, i always listen to her. LOL

Edmund i'm pretty happy right now with it, i know you have been having troubles. Staying the course

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks John hopefully I can update some of the firmware idea's and such. also hope that I can get on line at night to post some images. The beer better be cold, hate warm beer

The beer was cold and the steins are huge the last time I was there so be preparred. Don't try and keep up with those guys driking or they will be shipping you back after they drag you out from under the table.

I'm jealous of myself , was not expecting to do this but my wife said go, i always listen to her. LOL

Edmund i'm pretty happy right now with it, i know you have been having troubles. Staying the course

Hehe Guy, say hello to my Summilux if you see it in Solms :)

I'm off to other places, with my Canon in my bag.

Edmund

Have a great time Guy, and bring us back lots of news. Something that might be really simple to implement (or not, I don't know) but which isn't on the list is to have a finer quality jpg - the black and white jpg can be great for casual shooting, and the colour is excellent as well - both are marred by compression artifacts which really shouldn't be necessary.

I know that most people on the net shoot exclusively RAW, but out in the real world I talk to a lot of people who like to shoot jpg under some circumstances, and the Leica jpgs are so nearly wonderful - sad to have done the work to get so far, and then fall at the final hurdle!

ROTFLMAO, Guy, great news. I've been wondering how you were going to swing the trip to Germany and surprise surprise you've done it. I take my hat off to you, you clever old dog.:D

Have a wonderful time!. ;)

Using the left and right buttons in the set menu.

I'd like to be able to use the left and right buttons in the set menu to choose sub-options, a quick example:

Say you want to change the EV comp from 0 to -1, currently that involves:

• Press set
  • Scroll, or down arrow to EV.
  • Press set
  • Scroll, or down arrow to -1
  • Press set
  • Carry on shooting

What I'd like to be able to do is:

• Press set
  • Scroll, or down arrow to EV.
  • Left arrow arrow to -1
  • Carry on shooting

Given that the camera remembers you last menu position on the set menu, you'd then be able to change the EV for the remainder of your session by just pressing set and then left/right. The same also applies ISO, WB, etc.

I understand why Leica make you press the set button so many times to stop you doing something accidentally, but the set button is supposed to be for quick access to frequently changed settings.

Any thoughts?

I would like to see something done about the color files which come straight from the camera. I never could get C1 to work so was left using ACR. The color is just awful. As a matter of fact it is so bad I prefer the files from my LX-1 for color.

If we have to prioritize -- asuming Leica can't (or won't) do everything at one time, I would ask that the things that are bugs get fixed first, followed by the things that are additional features. So my order would be:

1. Venetian blinds.

2. WATE f.l. selection as described above

Then from Guy's list in my personal oprder of priority:

3. Lens selection option "in menu"

4 Warning of non coded lens

5 EV/ISO option with controls of either arrows or wheel , protect or set buttons. Whatever is fast and confirmed. Idea flash in VF what was set when confirmed

6. Travel charger smaller

7 SDHC compatible or new standard *This is not a leica call per say but industry standard 8. Optional 16 Bit setting like the DMR or better option

9. B&W optional b/w review, without having to write JPEG

10. Full name of lens in EXIF data sample 50mm summilux 1.4 as it is read by the coding

11. 15mm F4, 24mm 1.4 or F 2 , 28 1.4 ( some really fast wide angles )and than a line of lenses like the 28 2.8 that will be less costs like a 75 2.8 , 90 2.8 or think about 1.33 image circle digital specific lens

I would echo Jono's call for a finer quality jpg - the black and white jpg can be great for casual shooting, and the color is excellent as well - both are marred by compression artifacts which really shouldn't be necessary.

We know that most people on the net shoot exclusively RAW, but there are a lot of people who like to shoot jpg under some circumstances, and the Leica jpgs are so nearly wonderful - sad to have done the work to get so far, and then fall at the final hurdle!

So, let's add it to the laundry list!

I would like to see something done about the color files which come straight from the camera. I never could get C1 to work so was left using ACR. The color is just awful. As a matter of fact it is so bad I prefer the files from my LX-1 for color.

Hi - I do hope you manage to get there. Getting a basic workflow with ACR sorted out will make a huge difference - also making sure that you're using firmware 1.102... AWB is MUCH better in this version. FWIW some simple advice is:

1/ make sure you're using ACR 4.1 - it's head and shoulders above the earlier versions. If you don't want to upgrade Photoshop, get PS Elements - this is compatible with the latest ACR.

2/ For "instant" processing, my experience is to set the import defaults to the following:

WB - Auto

Exposure - 0

Recovery - 0

Fill light - 0

Blacks - 0

Brightness - 25

Contrast - 25

Vibrance - 17 (Jeff Schewe's magic number...)

Saturation - 0

This really works - see the examples below (Daytime image 160 ISO / Night time 320 ISO JPEG from RAW in CS3)

... and DON'T give up - the M8 is a wonderful picture making machine...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Chris, I have mine setup exactly as you. I've been working in CS2 since it was released. No problems with the other two DSLR's and P&S which I have used in the past. I have the latest firmware. The last upgrade I did in ACR was 3.7. Not sure 4.1 is for CS2, but I can check easily enough. There is the possiblilty I am overcompensating with my adjustments compared to other cameras. I'll keep trying, though:D

thanks for your suggestions,

Regards,

John

I would like to see the actual file # in the black bar above the preview vs the frame # of the card. Helps when taking notes on a shoot.

AWB definitely needs some more help, and yes quicker more intuitive setting of iso, ev, etc. as well as lens menu setting. Once again, Leica needs to be reminded that this is a pro camera, and pros don't need "safeguards." That's what the ol' noggin is for, and what differentiates Leica M users - one needs to visualise and think.