It's only rain drops, so many rain drops.

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Was at a block party with my M6. Started to thunder so I left for home, a block away. It began to rain steady the whole way home. I came inside and wiped it off with a dry towel. Figure I will let it air dry until the morning. (I also took the batteries out).

What can I expect? Am I screwed? Or will my rig live another day?:eek::(

Taking batteries out a good idea. Just took my MP backpacking and it rained all weekend, day and night. Took film out, disconnected lens, no caps on and took off bottom and opened back. Put camera and lens on window sill to get some sunlight. UV kills fungus eating bad stuff. No direct sun through lens.

Wiped it off and looks good. I'll keep it out for a few days. Not sure if the lubrication got wet, so may need a CLA, but overall, I wouldn't worry. They have been through far worse. It is the lenses that I worry most about in that kind of weather...

After its dry, go shoot some film!

I'd have expected you to be able to use it out in the rain (with some common sense), so just getting it wet shouldn't affect it. Yes, open it up when you get home to get air circulating, but while out in the rain don't cover it too much with a warm hand or it will mist up.

Steve

@kshapero,

Based on your description of the events, I would expect you M6 to suffer no ill effects. The M240 is the only M that has any weather sealing that I am aware of, but older film M bodies will survive mild to moderate rain exposure. If your M gets really drenched, send it in to Sherry Krauter for an overhaul. It should be fine after Sherry lays hands on it.

Something that you might consider is keeping a couple of silica dryer packs ( Pelican Silica Gel 1500-500-000 B&H Photo Video ) on hand for such incidents. If you put the M in a gallon size ziploc bag with the deyer packs and leave it sealed up for 24 hours, it should be completely dried out unless it was submerged or caught in a deluge of rain.

Keeping a gallon ziploc bag in your pocket when carrying your M6 without a camera bag is also a good idea, as bocaburger observed. That way, tyou have some protection in the event that an unexpected rainstorm crops up.

Akiva,

sorry to hear of this, and while the age of this post is way past me suggesting anything meaningful for you, it might help others.

An old trick for the likes of a phone that has been in the washing machine, (apart from simply dumping it) is to place it in a zip-lock style bag which also is full of rice. The rice soaks up the moisture wonderfully.

Of course, water on electronics etc will inevitably start the corrosion process, but drying quickly (with the rice idea) can often delay or negate this.

Gary

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I remember photographing at a very wet Christmas event a few years ago. When I got home and emptied both bodies -- M6 and M7 -- I was able to tip water out of them. Not a vast amount, but some. I did the same thing -- left them to air dry over night after mopping up with a soft towel a little.

Neither suffered any ill effects whatsoever.

• Like 1