Trying to get along with the M6, but I'm failing :(

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I need some help and advice.

I have for the past few years been a digital shooter. Last summer I picked up an old film camera from a flea market (a Canon AE-1) and I've enjoyed shooting with it these past few months so much that I went and got myself a Leica M6 and a summicron 35mm lens. I'm starting to feel that I perhaps jumped the gun a bit.

I took the Leica out and about last week and I really struggled with it. I'm just not getting a feel for it. I'm finding the focusing way too difficult. I mostly do street photography. The focus patch is too small and it's frustrating me. Compared to the Canon AE-1 which has a nice big, round focus patch. So easy and smooth to use.

Is it just me? I really want this relationship to work, but it's not looking good. Does it take time?

Will a viewfinder magnifier help me perhaps?

I dunno. If anyone can recommend me other similar cameras that I can use a leica lens with, then let me know and I might just sell the M6 body and try something else :-/

many thanks

I mostly do street photography. The focus patch is too small and it's frustrating me. Compared to the Canon AE-1 which has a nice big, round focus patch. So easy and smooth to use.

Is it just me? I really want this relationship to work, but it's not looking good. Does it take time?

Well, to be honest, rangefinders are not for everyone. I experienced none of the problems you describe when I began shooting Ms but then again I was very motivated and intrigued so I quickly accepted and got accustomed to the peculiarities of rangefinder photography. I use an M6TTL among other rangefinders and find the focus patch big enough for quick use. But you may want to try for instance zone focusing which is dead simple since the markings are so clear on the lenses. Turns your M6 into a point and shoot whenever there's enough light to stop down a bit.

If you don't get the hang of rangefinder photography you can likely sell the camera and lens without losing much money.

Good luck

Philip

Hump, rangefinder is there a better, accurate and fast., we expect your subject and shoot :)

Do not get discouraged and you'll love it. I come from Leica reflex too , but now I prefer the M, silent and no one notices the camera

as Philip said it takes a little period of adaptation

Watch these threads:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m7-mp-film-m/345620-i-love-my-m7.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/345543-my-new-companion.html

and the thread "I like film" (you are welcome :) )

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/286747-i-like-film-open-thread.html

Best

Henry

• Like 1

It may be that your rangefinder needs alignment, why not get it checked professionally, e.g., if it has had a knock over the years vertical alignment of the main image with the rangefinder patch may be a little out which makes focussing more difficult as the contrast of the in-focus image alignment is reduced.

Nick

Some people who've been raised on SLRs like your Canon simply never take to the rangefinder experience. Its a different beast.

Maybe the M6 just isn't for you. Of course its easily saleable.

My i suggest and alternative? Try a Leicaflex SL, with a few R lenses (35 elmarit, 50 summicron) which are much less expensive than the rangefinder versions but every bit as good. And the SL, which you can pick up on Ebay for $125, is, without question, the best mechanical SLR ever built, and I say that as a guy who has numerous Nikon Fs. The SL will blow you away with its robustness, bright viewfinder, and exceptional optics.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it just me?

LOL! well just look at the vast number of street photographers that use a Leica rangefinder for the answer to that. ;)

But that should be good news for you, because all it means is that there are a vast number of people that can get used to a rangefinder and I don't see why you should be different. Maybe you are trying to hard, it is after all only a camera, a box to hold film and hang a lens off. You don't need another camera.

Don't think of the mechanics of the camera, think how people use it to their advantage in street photography. OK, so its small, that helps keep it in your hand ready to raise to your eye, so forget the 'stealth' rubbish, you aren't invisible using it, but a smaller camera is less tiring.

Photographers 'zone focus' where they use the DOF of the lens and set it ready for the likely distances they are working in. Raise it to your eye and if you need to refine the focus you can do it, but otherwise just press the shutter.

Photographers look outside of the edges of the viewfinder frame to see before it happens things or people coming into the frame. This increases the chances you'll be ready for the decisive moment. But it also means you can loiter a bit and face in slightly another direction so your subject thinks you are interested in something else.

You can use it one handed with zone focusing to cover different angles and heights, so again the small compact size helps.

Additionally nowadays it looks like an old camera, so unlike and SLR or DSLR it has no connotations in the majority of peoples minds with 'the press' or spying. On the other hand it is a good ice breaker if you want to talk to people you are photographing.

Everything else is just knowing how to load the film and make a few simple adjustments to speed and aperture.

So accept there is no magic that is going to happen until you start using up some film. A hit rate of three great pictures from a roll of thirty six would be exceptional for any photographer with any camera, so judge your success by that, not that you need to get 36 pictures all perfectly focused and exposed but otherwise boring. Good pictures are elusive, they only come with work.

Steve

• Like 6

Seriously, have your eyes checked, if not done recently.

Do you wear glasses, contacts or none?

There are diopters available for those that require a correction.

The RF patch is a good deal different from a SLR patch in that the patch does not show focus but image alignment only. Many times you need to search for a line or curved surface to bring into alignment for correct focus.

Hopefully you can be talked through the problem(s).-Dick

I found my M6 dramatically improved when I bought myself some new glasses with top of the line Zeiss lenses with the famous coatings. I didn't have much of a problem focusing anyway but with the extra contrast things just seem to pop into alignment really nicely in that little patch.

Well the flare problem with M6 annoys me, but except from that its the perfect camera for me. Maybe i will change to an MP.

If you like your M6 and it's "the perfect camera" for you except for the flare, then maybe think about getting the finder optics updated. The cost of the modification would be a lot less over the loss you'll get from selling your M6 and the extra expense of buying a used MP.

And to the OP, here's something that might help you appreciate one of the advantages of a Leica rangefinder: try focusing your Canon AE-1 in very low light and then compare that experience with focusing the M6 in very low light.

If you like your M6 and it's "the perfect camera" for you except for the flare, then maybe think about getting the finder optics updated. The cost of the modification would be a lot less over the loss you'll get from selling your M6 and the extra expense of buying a used MP.

And to the OP, here's something that might help you appreciate one of the advantages of a Leica rangefinder: try focusing your Canon AE-1 in very low light and then compare that experience with focusing the M6 in very low light.

Great pieces of advice. Leica's flare fix made a night-day difference on my TTL. Well worth the money imo. I wouldn't ave bought an MP anyway because I prefer the larger speed dial and the direction it turns.

I have (among other SLRs, I confess) an A-1 which I really like and sometimes use (mirror squeak and all) for cocktail shots out and about. The difference in ease of focus to my eyes is enormous.

Philip