M 240 low light high ISO theatre or stage photos - please show your (colour) examples

simonpj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In a recent thread I asked for advice about supplementing or replacing the M9 for very low light theatre photography.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/344816-very-low-light-theatre-stage-photography.html

I would be very interested to see any examples showing how effectively the M 240 can work for very low light theatre work. Most theatre lighting is sufficient for the M9 to work very well. What I am interested in really difficult low light scenes beyond the M9's capability.

Many thanks,

Simon

Edited by simonpj
  • Like 1

By way of illustration of the problem that I have encountered using the M9 in shows which have some scenes which use very low lighting, here is a scene from a drama school production of Othello. An effectively choreographed fight scene took place in very dim lighting. It was easily visible to the naked eye, despite the low lighting, but shooting with the M9 at ISO 640 it required over three stops additional exposure in post processing even to obtain the ugly result below. (This shoot also revealed a dead pixel line which required a trip to Solms for the camera.)

The M9's high ISO performance was the only issue here. There was no problem focusing the Noctilux even in such dim light.

Do you have any examples where the M 240 has worked well for such low light theatre work?

14091568097_63253075f1_b.jpg

Here's a version of the above photo using the 2012 LR M9 camera profile rather than the 2010 version, and with a little more effort to clean it up in LR - for a significant improvement.

15179487082_2da24cc841_b.jpg

This is what the unprocessed file, shot at ISO 640, looked like - showing just how little light there was.

14993114779_fa206aa7f5_b.jpg

What I'm trying to figure out, in advance of an upcoming production of Cabaret that I'll be shooting, is whether an M 240 (or using a Canon 5Diii, Nikon D4 or Sony A7s as a back up to the M9) would really make a significant difference for scenes like this where there is such minimal light. I have a feeling that this is a question of diminishing returns, and that where the light is so low as to require ISO 6400 the marginal improvements to be had from newer sensors than the M9's are still not going to result in images that match the quality of others from other scenes in the show which have full lighting. So I'm leaning towards continuing to work with the M9.

But I'd be very interested to see examples from the M 240 which might persuade me otherwise.

And don't forget that these were with beta firmware!

If you're interested in how the M-240 performs under stage lighting check:

Traviata at the Soho Theatre or

Dead Party Animals at the King's Head

I usually work with 2 M-240s (mostly with 28 cron asph + 50 1.4 asph) and a Canon 5D2 with L 70-200 f2.8 IS. For me this is the dream combination. The M9 was good. With the M-240 work at 1600 ISO with the Ms most of the time, but I'm fully confident to go to 3200. Basically, the M240 is better for this kind of job.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are a few I took last Saturday evening. Not theatrical but on stage, low lighting, relatively high iso (the girls 800, the lads 1250).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

In a recent thread I asked for advice about supplementing or replacing the M9 for very low light theatre photography.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/344816-very-low-light-theatre-stage-photography.html

I would be very interested to see any examples showing how effectively the M 240 can work for very low light theatre work. Most theatre lighting is sufficient for the M9 to work very well. What I am interested in really difficult low light scenes beyond the M9's capability.

Many thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon,

I could not make these with the M9. With the M240 it's fun to do it!

See:

Marcel Verbeek, Paul Sips, Hugo Doesburg, William van Barneveld - pauljoostenfotograaf

I am little surprised you are having difficulties at just ISO 640. This shot (hand-held) was taken at ISO 1600 at a time when I had owned the M9 for just a couple of weeks. Post-processing was in whatever version of LR was then current and consisted (IIRC) of hitting the 'auto' button!

Many thanks, all, for these excellent examples demonstrating the advantages of the M 240 for this type of work.

@ Chris - It's clear that the extra dynamic range really helps to hold shadow detail where the actors are turned away into an unlit part of the stage. I like the way you use the 28 Cron to create drama between an actor in the foreground and others reacting upstage. I must give that a try...

@ Peter - That's impressive quality at 1250 ISO

@ Paulus - It's clear that you're working with very little light at all in that club. Lovely pictures, with very nice colours, despite the challenging light.

Thanks again.

Simon

Heres some examples from the m240

the first three are from bands that i have shot, the last is a church service, that was pretty dark, there is a 100% crop of the cross in the centre of frame, down in the left hand corner, you can still read the words on the the cross.

I have found that if you can expose properly, without blowing out the highlights, and add a bit of NR in lightroom, even 6400 ISO is perfectly usable.

From a punk show (ISO 2500 IIRC):

14998877389_8a8b371c81_o.jpg

14998877839_da5fc45013_o.jpg

Many thanks,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished doing a shoot for a new production of Marriage of Figaro in London (King's Head Theatre - great show!).

REALLY low light in the final scenes. These taken with ISO 1600 and then 2500. I was delighted with the results. So is the client.

Just finished doing a shoot for a new production of Marriage of Figaro in London (King's Head Theatre - great show!).

REALLY low light in the final scenes. These taken with ISO 1600 and then 2500. I was delighted with the results. So is the client.

Very nice, Chris. Thanks for posting.