Show me your personalized engraving, please

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/17/2021 at 1:25 AM, kivis said:

Why not keep it subtle as is?

Because at the monthly M-A meet up none of you could put your camera down, as you may pick up someone else's and only find out when you develop the film.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Huss said:

Whoa, that is gorgeous!  Reminds me of visiting the Holland and Holland store in London.

Yeah. Quite amazing. I love when people makes stuff their own - without regard to future resale- and collector value.

I am just curious about how it ages.
Engraving through the chrome exposes the zink alloy below, which is known to be the enemy of oxygen.

Many M6s have the "pitting problem" which is commonly attributed to oxygen finding its way through the chrome finish to the zink alloy below and then causing the alloy to oxidise making those ungainly pimples on some cameras - not pretty if you have seen them.

If that theory holds, this camera should probably evolve into a blooming zink disaster - unless they have sealed the engravings somehow?

Edited by nitroplait
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 12:01 PM, wattsy said:

...I think that's the first time I've seen a camera with that kind of acanthus scroll engraving. It is obviously common in the sporting gun world – a Purdey or Holland & Holland would look slightly odd without it – but it also seems to work quite nicely on a Leica.

On 3/25/2021 at 7:01 PM, johntobias said:

...Ok for a Purdey or baretta shotgun but def not a camera.  But each to their own.

Clicking on the British GQ link in the article it notes that the engraver, Johnny Dowell, did indeed work for Purdey & Sons for 15 years.

I think it is quite fascinating workmanship. Not really my style but I can readily see the appeal. He has also worked on another Leica M (seen in one of the other links) and I think it's interesting that the two Leicas featured are Silver-Chrome versions. I would love to see how his engraving skills would look if the donor-camera was a Black-Paint brass-topped model...

Philip.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nitroplait said:

Yeah. Quite amazing. I love when people makes stuff their own - without regard to future resale- and collector value.

I am just curious about how it ages.
Engraving through the chrome exposes the zink alloy below, which is known to be the enemy of oxygen.

Many M6s have the "pitting problem" which is commonly attributed to oxygen finding its way through the chrome finish to the zink alloy below and then causing the alloy to oxidise making those ungainly pimples on some cameras - not pretty if you have seen them.

If that theory holds, this camera should probably evolve into a blooming zink disaster - unless they have sealed the engravings somehow?

Yeah a brass Leica would have been a safer option, but silvery gray looks so good.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 6:48 PM, Huss said:

Because at the monthly M-A meet up none of you could put your camera down, as you may pick up someone else's and only find out when you develop the film.

You could write your name on the baseplate with a white paint pen.  Problem solved - aithough in a less than elegant manner.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Well, maybe your local engraver won't use a flame-thrower, I think a water-cooled engraving cutter would do the trick.

I agree... I should look one up, I don't want it to turn into a thing but there you go, if it was a couple of hundred pounds and it was easy I would have had it done. If someone can recommend an engraver that could do the business without setting fire to themselves in the UK that would be great... 

Edited by NickOC
removed letter