Which older Monochrome to get for high iso low light landscape?

Besprosvet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also never use Continuous mode capture. (To me, the whole point of making still photographs is to release the shutter at the correct time by intent, not just capture a sequence of exposures and find the one that you think is pleasing ... but that's my aesthetic. :) )

However, several things interact when it comes to the speed of sequence capture, notably whether you're capturing raw only, JPEG only, what size and quality JPEG, both together, and currently available power. With my M9 and M-P240, I found that camera behavior degraded slightly from optimum whenever the battery was below about 30% capacity. With my M-D262, I never noticed any degradation but of course that camera has neither LCD nor JPEG capability so it's hard to judge. The M10-M does not show any degradation in behavior at all ... I was doing a series of copy captures the other day and ran the battery down to 5% inadvertently: didn't even notice until I checked the battery at the end of the session. My take on this is that Leica have indeed improved the electronics by a substantial amount in the M10 line compared to the M9/M240 line. 

All of that being said, whenever I get a camera, regardless of what specs I read about it, I spend a week or so testing all operational modes that I am interested in using to see what its practical, real world performance is like regardless of what a spec sheet says. The spec sheet is a nominal list of what it should perform like, written by a technical writer based upon specs produced by engineers while the device is in development ... It should always be considered an "idealized" summary of what the design is intended to be, but unless it is verified at the end of the development cycle with performance analysis and qualification and then re-edited to reflect actual performance data, it will likely diverge from actual performance. This is very rarely the case.

I say this because I was, for part of my career, a technical writer producing manuals and specifications for hard goods products that were being developed for sale to the public, so I'm just reporting the facts as I know them from experience... ;)

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

I mean, I'm just glad my unit is not defective.

I'm noticing having a different attitude with a Leica M in my hands after just a couple of days. I shoot differently and "slowly", predicting where people are going to be with manual focus trying to catch them. It's so much fun! And it somewhat reminds me being carefree shooting a few rolls on my old Pentax MX. I like this Monochrom more than I expected.

Another aspect I've always undervalued until today is having a black (and relatively small) camera, it makes you invisible, mostly ignored. With my silver X100V everybody stares at me, it literally screams for attention compared to the Monochrom

6 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Did the voice cost extra?

Jeff

Jokes aside I found it new (but with no warranty since it was a display unit) on an auction on Ebay. I won for 880 euro in october '21. I still can't believe the luck, back then was already going for 1.4k. I was debating if getting a user RX1R mkii but an X100V new at 880 is a no brainer!