Fujifilm Neopan 100 Acros OR Ilford FP4 125 ?

Paul Verrips

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica fellows,

I'm going to Lisbon within 3 weeks. I bought myself a Leica M7 and will have a Summicron 50 at the end of next week. My goal is street photography.

Planning to shoot black and white (with yellow filter), i prefer to shoot wide open. I think ISO 400 is to much M7 has max 1/1000), ISO 100 may better suit my goal but haven't used B&W 100 or 125 ISO for about 8 to 10 years.

I dit some research and think about Fujifilm Neopan 100 Acros OR Ilford FP4 125. What are you're thoughts?

I will send these rolls to a serious filmlab ---> Carmencita Film Lab for developing & scanning.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All mentioned are good films, I personally would go with FP4, but considering you want to use a yellow filter they will all be in the 60 ISO range, or one stop slower. This may be a bit slow for 'street' photography if any movement is to be frozen, although fine for portraits and still life. The phrase 'f/8 and be there' wasn't devised without experience of life, f/8 to allow for a decent DOF so precise focusing isn't so important, then use whatever shutter speed the film allows to freeze movement. Which is why from the 1960's on Tri-X became ubiquitous because it allowed for higher shutter speeds.

Steve

Fuji Acros 100 for it's contrast and stable reciprocity character.

FP4+ because it is forgiving and one of the best all round emulsions in it's sensitivity range.

Delta 100 for it's excellent pictorial and scanning qualities

Adox Silvermax, if you can get it processed in Adotech, because it's has it's own character and that extended tonal range.

Why limit your medium speed options to just either FP4+ or Acros 100? Take some faster film too.

I'd just say FP4+ and Acros are very different films. A bit like narrowing one's car choice to a Morgan vs. a Mercedes.

FP4+ is an "old-school" low-tech cubic-grain film, like (but not exactly like) Plus-X or Agfapan 100. A history dating to the 1930s. Relatively grainy and a touch soft but forgiving and with smooth tonal transitions. At one point, the FP series used two emulsion layers - one fast, large grain and one slow, fine-grain, to maximize latitude. I don't know if Ilford/Harman still does that in FP4+.

Acros is more in the vein of TMax 100 - high-tech tablet grains, fine-grained and sharp, but somewhat high-strung as to exposure and processing leeway.

Ilford Delta 100 (in my experience) falls between the two - delta grain technology that splits the difference between Tmax's precision and pickiness and FP4's latitude and softness.

For my own work I go the Acros/TMax route - but for street pictures, FP4+ probably can handle random lighting and contrast with more panache.

I think the Acros is more critical of exposure accuracy. I think that HP5+ would be my choice. With the yellow filter and with generous exposure to minimize accidental underexposure you could effectively have a film speed of 160, leaving leeway for the high shutter speeds sometime necessary in bright light.

• 1 month later...
Guest ausgeknipst

Trix400 @320 for 80% of your shots (works fine with 1/1000, 2.8 or 4.0) - a perfect film for yellow filter!

PanF50 for shots wide open.

> Trix @800 (1/30, 2.0) brings you through the night as well.

I find it a bit troubling when talk is of 'old' and 'modern' films. Do artists choose pigments depending on the year they were invented, or do they choose them for the effect they give in matching the artists vision? I don't see how photographs on a roll of FP4 shot yesterday can by default be called an old look, just as a painting made yesterday using an authentic ultramarine pigment isn't an old painting. Personally I think you could use the word 'nostalgic' if the subject matter was overtly nostalgic, but a contemporary photograph using FP4 is a 'modern' 'photograph.

Steve

• Like 1

I find it a bit troubling when talk is of 'old' and 'modern' films. Do artists choose pigments depending on the year they were invented, or do they choose them for the effect they give in matching the artists vision? I don't see how photographs on a roll of FP4 shot yesterday can by default be called an old look, just as a painting made yesterday using an authentic ultramarine pigment isn't an old painting. Personally I think you could use the word 'nostalgic' if the subject matter was overtly nostalgic, but a contemporary photograph using FP4 is a 'modern' 'photograph.

Steve

Well, the films themselves - as products of technology - certainly can be classified as based on older or newer technology. As can oil paints vs. acrylics. Or newer pigments that have replaced older pigments through concerns about dangerous amounts of heavy metals or other contents.

The different technologies may well require different handling and artistic techniques (fast-drying acrylics vs. slow-drying oils; forgiving cubic grains vs. touchy tabular grains, opaqueness or longevity of one pigment vs. another).

I think that technique and vision can be just as "nostalgic" or revivalist as choice of subject matter. However, as you say, that is mostly independent of the specific media used. One can make images that are fully involved with the zeitgeist and contemporaniety of 2014 (and no other time) with old materials and technologies - and produce derivative, nostalgic "old-fashioned-looking" images with the newest materials.

There was no significant difference in the oil paints used by Beaux-Arts and Impressionist painters. What made one more modern that the other was what they chose to do with them.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
A small practical point that might matter if you develop yourself - the Acros is a twisty' date=' curly kind of film, whereas FP4 is less prone to that kind of annoyance. Chris[/quote']

The Acros is a thinner emulsion, which means less fog when scanning the negative, effectively giving it a wider tonal range. I shoot it at ISO 70 on my MP and develop with Ilford DDX. It works great, fine grain.

• Like 1