Advice Needed on Correcting EXIF/Metadata When Using R-Lens

DLS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been experimenting recently with a Teltyt-R 280mm F/4 (just a wonderful lens) but for reasons I can't really fathom, LR5 displays metadata for lens as R-Adapter X1000. I'm setting the correct lens within the camera before shooting. And, of course, since the lens is not properly identified, the exposure is also incorrectly recorded as correct sec/f1.0. Is there some setting I'm not using properly within the camera? Any ideas or recommended method for correcting the metadata on a Mac system using LR 5.6? It's minor, but annoying. Thanks!

Don't forget that the M (240) only makes a guess at the aperture set on the lens as there is no linkage to the camera so it's always a bit hit and miss irrespective of the make/type of lens used.

I use ExifEditor from the App Store, which like the one above is a graphical front end for ExifTool. If you prefer a plugin for LR you could try LensTagger.

Hope that's helpful.

I tried the Exif Changer app specifically because I couldn't wrap my head around ExifTool. That worked for a while, but then I wanted to be able to do modifications in batch without having to know which file was with which lens, so I wrote a shell script that scripts ExifTool.

I mainly wanted to solve the following problems:

- the Noctilux 1.2 is improperly decoded by LR at the f/1 version. The cameras (M240 and MM) tag the files differently and appropriately, but they weren't being decoded properly.

- consistency of metadata between how two cameras report the same lens

- remapping of lenses: for example, I use the 50 summicron v3 as the coding for my Summicron DR and I use the 90/2.8 coding for my Thambar

The script isn't great, I'd be the first to admit that, but it gets the job done well enough that I can (mostly) live with it. I still need to add a few things, like the fact that the 75mm APO shows with "ASPH ." in the name (note the space between ASPH and the period).

I'd be happy to clean it up a bit and give it to anyone who's interested.

-jbl