Leica recommend non-contact cleaning only by users

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree that it doesn't look pretty for Leica. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more comment on the post that I linked to above. I assume Leica will be hoping that as many customers as possible migrate to the M240 CMOS platform as soon as possible as it seems that this sensor isn't prone to the problem. I'm pretty pissed off about it as I've lost the use of my Monochrom for 2-3 months whilst it languishes in Wetzlar and when it comes back, who knows how long it'll be until the problem manifests itself again? I'm glad that I recently divested myself of my other CCD digital M bodies – I imagine that the news that Leica will start charging to fix the problem will not be good for secondhand M9 and Monochrom values.:mad:

Re the linked post I still don't understand how a wet clean of alcohol can cause the corrosion of glass? I would have thought it would be corrosion 'around' the cover glass if cleaning fluid seeped around un-sealed edges? Which would go full circle with the advice 'only use the tiniest drop of cleaning fluid'.

As for Leica removing greasy marks by non-contact cleaning as is implied, this is blowing smoke in the customers face, it isn't possible. And the draconian repair costs levied are a way to cover themselves by inducing customer fear, sidestepping a situation that could develop into a general outcry if it was admitted they designed something badly. Its akin to a chocolate manufacturer finding glass in the last months entire production, and rather than a re-call they recommend their customers go on an anti chocolate diet instead.

Steve

• 1 month later...