X2: Serious camera or hobbyist's camera?

Herr Barnack

Brian, I think it might be Getty that you have in mind. They did indeed include the X1 in one of their lists of "approved cameras" (though Getty now accept photos from camera phones so I'm not sure the lists have the meaning they used to). I can't imagine Magnum would have a policy on which cameras are recognised or not.

Hi Ian

It was on an approved list circulated by Magnum.

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 1

What say you, folks? Is the X2 a hobbyist's camera, a family photo camera, an enthusiast's camera or a professional's camera?

Or is it something else?

If you would be so kind, take a minute to discuss your answer to this question.

Hi Carlos

It's a fascinating question and a camera which is great fun to use. I use mine with the electronic viewfinder (mine is the Olympus one) which is nothing special and isn't over helpful with critical focussing.

Generally, the main point to watch for is making sure that the focus is spot on, if you can manage that then the rest, in particular exposure and colour balance, are taken care of by the camera and need little adjustment in PP.

However for me the question James posed still stands.

Given that stealth and portability are not overriding requirements, why not get a second hand M8 or better still an M8.2 and use the same lenses that you love to use with your film camera - the protocols for using the cameras are very similar, the lenses swap from one to another and you would have no problem with the size of image that you want. There is a cop factor to adjust to but few of us find that a disadvantage, especially in portraiture.

So in retrospect do you think you would you have been better off just keeping the M9 and a 35m lens?

That's a valid question. With respect to image quality and versatility, keeping the M9 would have made sense. But I had issues with my M9 and kind of got cold feet about keeping it for the long haul (although Leica was great with their repair service.) I did keep all my Leica lenses to use with my film M cameras (I'm happy with those and can't seem to bring myself to ever selling them.) So I just felt it best to sell the M9 somewhat early on, and I was able to sell it pretty easily at the time.

In addition I'm working on a documentary project that puts me in a sketchy part of the urban landscape (In Los Angeles, It's South-Central No More - NYTimes.com) so I needed a camera with good image quality for printing but relatively small and not so apparent. Both the X2 and the Merrill are small enough and less obvious than the M9 (and any extra lenses) and the Nikon DSLRs. And the expense of losing them isn't as dramatic. A few years ago I was approached in that same neighborhood when I was on the streets with my 4x5 and tripod by a man who made a point to show me his gun in his waistband. I had to talk my way out of being a statistic (although I did end up 'loaning" him a $20 bill :)) Even though I have insurance it's still a pain to have something stolen, let alone the stress of being confronted. And so the X2 is not so obvious and easier to put away when approached. It's also very light in the hand. And yes, it doesn't look that "serious." :D

And I also need a precise way of composing (it's basically a history of the place but with a strong emphasis on composition and specific elements within the frame.) With the EVF and the LCD (and with the Merrill, too) I can frame very precisely. With the Leica M9 (and the film M) the framing is too much of an estimate and I have to end up cropping in post. I need to crop in-camera. And while the Nikons have 100% viewfinders, they are just a bit too big and obvious for this particular work. It's not about 'stealth' (and I'm not photographing people) but just about trying not to attract anybody looking for an opportunity. I need to concentrate while photographing and yet still be attentive of who is around me, etc.. Both the X2 and Merrill are working out well. With these 'urban still life' images I need lots of small detail and I'm liking the Foveon sensor especially for printing (that somewhat 'crunchy' kind of 'over sharpened Merrill look' goes away in a print and overall the quality is really pretty good.)

• Like 1

Calarts99's photo of his X2 demonstrates the point very well.

Design a compact camera lacking in some basic features, but have them as 'options' instead. Add those features (lens hood/filter adaptor & viewfinder) and you no longer have a compact camera.

You now have a camera that isn't all that much smaller than the smallest DSLR's, and yet is much more limited in what it can do, the worst of both worlds.

It's a shame because the lens and sensor are great.

After giving this thread and Leica's digital cameras much thought over the past few days, I have had to face facts: I want to be able to use my M lenses on a digital camera. Otherwise, what's the point in owning them? I'm a photographer, not a camera fondler or collector.

This rules out the Nikon D800 as advocated by a friend who shoots with this camera. I have a fairly well rounded Nikon film kit which I almost never use. The Leica M cameras and lenses will do that to you.

It also means the more affordable options of the X2 and X Vario are compromises - and it makes no sense to sink that much money into a compromise, IMHO; after all, an X Vario is nearly half the cost of an M240.

I have regrettably (or not so regrettably) come to the realization that the best course of action is to bite the bullet, dig deep and find a way to come up with the cost of an M240.

Anyone out there in the market for a slightly used kidney? :D

I'm one of the M owners still on the fence about the M240/M9. The M240 is excellent and the shutter alone makes a big difference in the enjoyment of using the camera for me, but the sensor on the M9 still produces a fantastic raw image to my taste.

This leaves the higher ISO and high speed flash capacity of the M240. At the moment it's only the HS TTL which keeps me from selling the M240 and keeping the M9p. Maybe you could keep your kidney and try an M9.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
What say you, folks? Is the X2 a hobbyist's camera, a family photo camera, an enthusiast's camera or a professional's camera?

Or is it something else?

For the price its Leica heritage and looks,as well as an amazing camera.

However f2.8 is only 1/2 stop off f3.5 and the X-vario, for not much more cash, gives so much more.

I will get shot for saying so, but look seriously at the RX1 or X100s if you are interested in fixed lens. If you don't need Leica they are excellent. The RX1 is twice the cost but worth every penny extra if you can afford it.

I match an interchangeable setup with a fixed lens as they both have their uses

The X2 would go well with an A7 or M240 setup. The X-vario would go well with a RX1 setup. Life is full of choices ;)

• Like 1

Or is it something else?

Hi.

2 weeks ago I bought the XV. I have used Leica M´s i many years, and to day the M 240.

I can just say, I am so positive surprised wit both building and picture quality .

The lens shows incredible sharpness, good color and contrast.

I am very satisfied, and find it a good supplement to the M with two or three lenses when traveling light.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I consider myself to be both serious and hobbyist:) Leica X1 and X2 should satisfy MOST of the photogs, if NOT, something is "wrong" with the photog:) Here come some shots with X2 from Mallorca.

Zenfolio | Andrzej Poniatowski | Mallorca-Alcudia May 2013

Just saw you´re now selling both your X2 and your XV. What happened?

series camera.

its still one of the smallest camera which allows series image quality.

I prefer it over the rx1 because x2 fits in a pocket, and I prefer x2 color over x100 color and size.

The user interface is very simple with fast acces to iso, f-stop, exp time etc.

And you can flash at all speeds.

The lens is a good compromise between speed and size.

I just wish the AF was a little faster.