Asia One Challenge 2015

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

still not decided if I will make it or not.

I need to find a good moment to speak to my wife to propose the trip as my birthday gift :-)

We have small twins and the biggest problem will be that my wife will be alone for a full week with the kids......

So I need some time to decide.

John

• Like 2

Sorry you can't make it, Lars, you are missing an unique experience. Thanks for the good wishes.

I can fully recommend Asahi and Sapporo beer, there are certainly more good brands. Some years ago, I said it would be impossible to die of dehydration in Japan, if one has at least a 100 JPY coin (probably more now), there are drink vending machines everywhere*, in the most unlikely places.

Talking about practicalities, in my experience, Japan is a country, where cash is used for most transactions. ATMs can be found, for example at post-offices, which have the (Katakana?) sign 〒. My advice would be to make sure one knows the PIN and not just the typing pattern, since the keypads have a different layout (sometimes all digits in one line).

Stefan

*Apologies for my strange humour, in the post-apocalyptic film I will never make, the actors will find a working drink-vending machine somewhere in a desert and conclude they are in Japan.

Hi Stefan,

Good advice, Stefan. Drinks machines are still in abundance, but tend to cost 120-150 Yen per drink now. Also most places seem to accept credit and/or debit cards now, but it's still a good idea to be carrying some cash for small items and snacks.

• Like 1

John,

It's sad to hear that Japan is likely to be your last trip, but if Melanie persuades you to return via London and you can include a short stop-over.....!

I am sure that all of us here would love to see you.

Best wishes

Brian

• Like 4

Brian, I am being pragmatic when I say it may be my last trip. But life does throw some wobblies and I may yet (hopefully) maker another trip. Currently my flights are paid to return home after Japan and Vietnam. Vienna for the European One Challenge is 99% off my radar at present. 2016 is ridiculous for me to predict, so I shan't. First step is to get there! :D

I am just enjoying the moment. Roll on Japan!

• Like 7

Hi, wife agreed :D:D

Flights are booked.

Arriving at Tokyo Narita on Monday morning 18th May at 08:30 with KLM,

Departing from Osaka to AMS on Sunday 24th May with KLM at 10:25.

First time for me being in Japan, exiting :D:D

The hotels will arranged next week, but recommendations are very welcome in order to be not to far away from other participants!

Looking forward meeting all of you there!

John

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...... so I have booked a room at Shinjuku Granbell Hotel, which is a couple of hundred meters down the road from the E hotel. Just a note - Kabukicho is the red light area of Tokyo, but the red light area in Tokyo is a lot safer than other cities, and good for street photography.

+1 for me for the Shinjuku Granbell (18-21 May)

John

• Like 1

+2 Ritsuko and I booked Shinjuku Granbell 17-20 May. Can also cancel if necessary. Now we have mass and momentum!

Any thoughts on the Kyoto Hotel?

Once we have an area we are happy with, we'll come up with the official Leica One Challenge Asia document for the meeting points but most of us will already have planned together, but I'd like to see it translated into Japanese to be shared - it has been hard to find the Japanese Leica Forum members. It may also help Christoph get there in the last minute!

• Like 5

I've been looking this evening in Kyoto, and it's proving tricky. A lot of hotels where there are only one or two rooms left in the hotel.

Will have another look tomorrow and finalise somewhere at least - that way I can always cancel later if necessary, and have a safeguard in case I can't find anything better.

The last time I was there I stayed fairly close to Kyoto Station. Was fairly well situated to reach most of the sights.

+2 Ritsuko and I booked Shinjuku Granbell 17-20 May. Can also cancel if necessary. Now we have mass and momentum!

Any thoughts on the Kyoto Hotel?

Once we have an area we are happy with, we'll come up with the official Leica One Challenge Asia document for the meeting points but most of us will already have planned together, but I'd like to see it translated into Japanese to be shared - it has been hard to find the Japanese Leica Forum members. It may also help Christoph get there in the last minute!

• Like 2

Later today I will search around the Kyoto Station area as well and reserve something as a safety option while looking for maybe better. Possibly lots of travellers do that so cancellations may appear closer to time.

I have booked a room on hotels.com at "Sakura Terrace The Gallery"

It's on the South side of the station. Not much information to find about it, other than it is a brand new hotel that only opened this month. I can cancel it until May 17th in case we come up with a better alternative, but Kyoto does seem to be busy around this week.

• Like 1

+1 for

Sakura Terrace The Gallery

39 Higashikujo Kamitonoda cho

Minami ku

Kyoto

601-8002

Japan

+81756720002

ホテルの連絡先詳細

39 Higashikujo Kamitonoda cho

Minami ku

京都

601-8002

日本

+81756720002

from Thursday 21 to Sunday 24May.

Thanks to Simon for his advice!

John

Good to see more people confirming they will be there!

As of today, the list is as below:

Confirmed, with arrival dates:

DigitalHeMan - May 14th

DanBachmann - May 17th

StS - May 17th

erl - May 18th

christoph_d - May 23rd, joining in Kyoto

Torgian - Japan based, joining in Kyoto

Satijntje - May 18th

fjheimann - May 18th

Interest shown, not confirmed:

farnz

lanetomlane

Sandokan

Coriana6jp

jjohan

philipus

frankwaller

torontoamateur

Nick De Marco

octo

Looks like for now most people are staying in the Shinjuku area (with Shinjuku Granbell being popular) and South of the station in Kyoto (with Sakura Terrace The Gallery being popular)

Edited by DigitalHeMan
  • Like 5

Just a bit of useful info, especially for anyone flying into Narita airport. it seems a nobrainer to buy a Japan Rail Pass (before arriving Japan - imperative). This will get you from the airport to your hotel in Tokyo, then later to Kyoto and return to Tokyo and Narita Airport, for much less than the individual cost or tickets for each sector. The appropriate pass is valid for seven consecutive days anywhere in Japan!

Flying directly to Kyoto is a different ball game, but there are other daily bargain tickets available for local (international) travel. Train travel in Japan, whilst very good, seems very expensive on a single ticket scenario.

• Like 1

Good to see more people confirming they will be there!

As of today, the list is as below:

Confirmed, with arrival dates:

DigitalHeMan - May 14th

DanBachmann - May 17th

StS - May 17th

erl - May 18th

christoph_d - May 23rd, joining in Kyoto

Torgian - Japan based, joining in Kyoto

Satijntje - May 18th

fjheimann - May 18th

Interest shown, not confirmed:

farnz

lanetomlane

Sandokan

Coriana6jp

jjohan

philipus

frankwaller

torontoamateur

Nick De Marco

octo

Looks like for now most people are staying in the Shinjuku area (with Shinjuku Granbell being popular) and South of the station in Kyoto (with Sakura Terrace The Gallery being popular)

Sorry: you'll have to amend that list. My wife and I arrive Narita on the 16th, booked in the Granbell, Shinjuku, then, according to schedule posted in #34 we will arrive in Kyoto on the 21st, booked in Almont Hotel then fly out of Osaka on the 24th evening.

You guys had booked up the Sakura Terrace when I went online.

Anyway, the Usual Suspects will stand out, I guess.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 6