m7 or mp

blaft

I meant that the MP is a camera that tries to return to the simplicity of the classic Leica. So it lacks the auto-exposure and film recognition of the M7, or the TTL flash capability of the M6TTL. Design-wise the MP reproduces the classic look of the M2, so returning to the old style of rewind knob, logo, etc. Both will probably last you for a lifetime, so the choice is not about that, but about what you want out of the camera.

My english is not so good. What do you mean with pared-down. I know nothing about the camera's except they are Leica's for analog photography.

I just want a camera that will work the rest of my life.

I suggest you search on the internet about the two cameras and read up on them.

Basically the M7 has an electronic shutter and an Auto (aperture priority) mode.

The MP is fully mechanical, apart from the built in - manual - meter.

More important that the M7 v MP question is which lens to buy!

0.72 is the viewfinder magnification - this is the 'standard' viewfinder (they make versions with viewfinders more suited to wider or longer lenses too, but the standard is the most popular and versatile).

If you look on the Leica website you can find more information on the differences.

Be careful if buying via ebay.

• Like 1

Clearly, the MP will help you understand exposure better if you have to manually set both the shutter speed and aperture. However, the M7, as stated earlier, can do this as well and in times where speed is a necessity (eg street photography) the M7 can also make the correct exposure decision for you when using aperture priority mode. I had the same dilemma as you and chose the M7 purely for the aperture priority; I have no regrets.

I do not consider the argument of mechanical over electronic relevant in this day and age; surely, the Leica design and build of electronic shutters and meters should be considered reliable by now ...

I agree with James, lenses are one of the most important factors with film cameras (and digital). The camera, to some degree, is nothing more than a box that lets light through (in the case of Leica an expensive box). I bought into the Leica system because of the quality of the lenses that are available for the M system.

If you are not aware, Leica offer both the M7 and 50mm f2 at a significantly reduced price than if you were to purchase both items separately. If you are spending a significant amount of money on ebay I would view the item first or at least ask to see the receipts, service history etc.

David

Edited by dgc
  • Like 1

...I know nothing about the camera's except they are Leica's for analog photography.

I just want a camera that will work the rest of my life.

blaft, while I admire your enthusiasm, I urge you do your research concerning the cameras, and how they will fit in with your needs before you exchange money.

Purchasing a Leica - actually any quality camera - and knowing so little about them leaves you vulnerable, especially so buying on the internet.

Have you a good, knowledgeable dealer you can visit? Preferably a Leica dealer? You have to handle a camera to judge properly whether it works for you. The M7 and MP are quite different cameras.

thanks Brian for your advice. I have now a nikon fm3a what is a complete mechanical camera. I want the same camera but than from Leica because the fame of Leica. I love to work with all the manual stuff. I want to think instead of my camera.

It's a matter of personal preference. An M7 at a good price I think gives you more utility at the price of less reliability and worse aesthetics. Not that an M7 is ugly, it's just an MP is especially beautiful.

I personally have an eye on a nice second hand M7 in a shop I know, I think it would match a nice motor body for faster shooting. I would only buy it if I knew I'd use the aperture priority and TTL flash functions. They are useful functions as I shoot a lot with flash and I sometimes need to shot without thinking much about exposure. Saying that I'd probably just buy a Nikon F100 if I wanted automated film shooting.

• Like 1

An M7 at a good price I think gives you more utility at the price of less reliability and worse aesthetics. Not that an M7 is ugly, it's just an MP is especially beautiful.

Agreed the M7 has lots of electronics in it, and so is more complex.

As for the aesthetics, I have been lucky enough to have found and bought a mint boxed chrome 'a la Carte' M7 which features the MP's finish, top plate script, and controls, except that it has the later type rewind knob. It looks like a cross between an M3 and M4.

So, no Red Dot or M7 logo on the front, obviously.

Just beautiful in my view....and I have Aperture Priority if I want.

I have owned 3 MPs (2 x BP, 1x Cr) and 2 Black M7s (before this ALC one) over the years, and I think I prefer the M7 overall because of the option to use AE, but I prefer the look of the MP. However, I think I have now purchased the ideal solution for me....

You will enjoy either.

• Like 1

I had an MP thought it was nice but sold it as I prefer my black M2. I think if I was going to get into Ms now I would buy a regular M6, I wouldn't buy anything new I don't even know how much a new MP is but I'm pretty sure it would be expensive.