Olympus VF-2

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone tried it with the new firmware that didn’t do anything 2.0.0.12? As this was an FW update supposedly purely to cope with internal changes in the hardware, maybe the VF-4 was included in it. If nobody has tried it, I will give it a whirl later today. I am however, not optimistic that I will get any joy.

Having been forced to focus my new Noctilux all week with the EVF only, since the RF coupling is incorrect on the lens (going back to Solms after they FINALLY get back to work in January), the hugely better VF-4 would have made this much easier.

Wilson

Well according to Olympus the VF-4 can be used on a lot of their earlier models after installing a FW upgrade.

PEN series Compatibility Table - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

If the electronics of older less advanced Olympus Pen models can cope I would hope that the Leica M could also be upgraded by new FW.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well according to Olympus the VF-4 can be used on a lot of their earlier models after installing a FW upgrade.

PEN series Compatibility Table - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

If the electronics of older less advanced Olympus Pen models can cope I would hope that the Leica M could also be upgraded by new FW.

Archie,

I was going to post something similar. I got the VF-4 to work on my Olympus EP-2 with a firmware update. Now it was not as good as it is on the EP-5 but it is still better than the VF-2. I would not be surprised if the whole sub-system, viewfinder, rear LCD and video chip were made by Epson, like they are on the Olympus Pen cameras. I would think it will not happen until a Leica branded VF-4 is released, possibly at Photokina later next year.

Wilson

• Like 2

So... given that seems that today i'll put my hands on a M240... ;) ... the conclusion seems to be that as of today, the right choice is to find an Oly VF2... am I right, Wilson ? (I haven’t any other camera with EVF capability)

Luigi,

Unless you want to give Leica a new year gift by buying the over-priced EVF-2, just to get a Leica badge on the finder, the Olympus VF-2 is the only choice at the moment. However, I think you may find it a little difficult to locate a new Oly VF-2, as they are no longer listed by Olympus. My local dealer has said he has run out of stock and keeps having to turn down requests from M240 owners, although Amazon UK are still listing them. There are plenty around second hand, as many Oly users have upgraded to the far superior VF-4. I personally would recommend getting the larger eye-cup, EP-9, even though it is priced high enough to have come from Leica :)

Wilson

OTOH, my EVF is the Leica one. I had word with my Leica dealer, and then it wasn't so expensive any more. However, it was the one he had on show and it was very slightly scratched at the base.

I find it interesting that Leica dealers recently seem to have become more reasonable. It is not long ago when you would find yourself sitting out in the street if you asked for a discount. Nowadays it seems more to be: “OK lets talk”. :)

Wilson

Luigi,

Unless you want to give Leica a new year gift by buying the over-priced EVF-2, just to get a Leica badge on the finder, the Olympus VF-2 is the only choice at the moment. However, I think you may find it a little difficult to locate a new Oly VF-2, as they are no longer listed by Olympus. My local dealer has said he has run out of stock and keeps having to turn down requests from M240 owners, although Amazon UK are still listing them. There are plenty around second hand, as many Oly users have upgraded to the far superior VF-4. I personally would recommend getting the larger eye-cup, EP-9, even though it is priced high enough to have come from Leica :)

Wilson

How many do you want? They're all over the place at dealers and on the net.

I suspect my local dealer’s having run out may have been tactical. Strangely they do have the Leica EVF-2 in stock.

Huh!? The Olympus VF-2 has been discontinued months ago; the Leica EVF 2 hasn't. So what's strange or, err, 'tactical' about it? :confused:

Huh!? The Olympus VF-2 has been discontinued months ago; the Leica EVF 2 hasn't. So what's strange or, err, 'tactical' about it? :confused:

No it has not.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/accessories/camera/eyecups-viewfinders.html?icn=topnav&ici=accessoriesnav_camera-accessories-viewfinders-eyecups

Welcome to the club ;). I am not Wilson but you are right Luigi. Beware that the "silver" Oly has not the same colour as the body though. I have one but i prefer the black version that i've bought for 50 EUR on e**y.

Me too got the black one (3 hours ago, together with a chrome M... :)) : indeed, the dealer had also one VF2 in silver... but the black has really a nicer look...

• Like 1

Luigi,

Wilson

Thanks Wilson... luckily, resulted that my dealer had 3 or 4 new in stock (and an "original" one only as "demo not for sale") : being the first EVF in my life, I preferred to buy it new... and the price, being paid together with a M, has been decently negotiable...:o