M240 - Multifunction Handgrip and Tethered Shooting

Paul J

A couple got delivered in France before Solms realized they were sent to a couple of dealers by mistake and had all the rest sent back to Solms. None delivered so far in the US.

Have not heard of any others being delivered. Wait maybe we have virtual MF grips attached to our M's.

• Like 1

What's up with that? Are you saying Leica have them in inventory but are not releasing them?

Hard to imagine what is going on.

My French source said they had received like 10 in Solms probably for testing before they had 2000 or more made. They got most back, but I know of 2 that got into customer's hands in France.

My source at Leica has told me that the delay in the US for the multi-use grip is due to the GPS function needing some type of FCC clearance. That is the reason for the delay in the release.

I have no idea of the accuracy of the above but it makes sense to me....Leica is worse than Apple on giving any information to their users.

Was surprised to received mine 10 days ago (Belgium).

GPS took sometimes to connect.

It's ok now.

Didn't try to connect it to a computer.

Much improve the handling. Alone or with the Thumbs Up EP-10S.

Really great with R lenses like the 28-90 Vario-Elmar and the EVF. Much more secure.

Should order a plate from RRS.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's ok now.

Really great with R lenses like the 28-90 Vario-Elmar and the EVF. Much more secure.

That's very encouraging news. Thanks for the input. Maybe we will see some here in the US within 6 months.

Are you receiving Leica R-M adapters also?

It's ok now.

how is the GPS sensitivity works? I have read somewhere on this forum states that GPS is not respond well enough, if my memory serves right then that post said if you hold on top of the handle then GPS wont work.

Hi All,

I believe there are some multifunction handgrips out there now. Can anyone comment on tethered shooting yet? Wanting to know about the experience with it. Speed of transfer, stability etc.

Thanks,

A dealer in Singapore told me that a "few" had come in and were sold and he will let me know if he receives another batch. No dates unfortunately.

My source at Leica has told me that the delay in the US for the multi-use grip is due to the GPS function needing some type of FCC clearance. That is the reason for the delay in the release.

I have no idea of the accuracy of the above but it makes sense to me....Leica is worse than Apple on giving any information to their users.

This could make sense EXCEPT that they use the same GPS device on the S camera in the US for over one year. Also knowing that they will need FCC approval, (and I am sure many other countries are the same) you go for the permit way back when getting ready to announce it. They don't make it so the specs are easy to get for an application. Come on folks think this mess through.

So IMHO, that is just another lame excuse. If at all true, just shows how out of it Leica has become regarding M accessories. Maybe if they had delayed release of the (less than popular marketing fiasco) Vario for a month, they could easily sort out the FCC and other countries licenses for GPS much earlier.

This could make sense EXCEPT that they use the same GPS device on the S camera in the US for over one year. Also knowing that they will need FCC approval, (and I am sure many other countries are the same) you go for the permit way back when getting ready to announce it. They don't make it so the specs are easy to get for an application. Come on folks think this mess through.

So IMHO, that is just another lame excuse. If at all true, just shows how out of it Leica has become regarding M accessories. Maybe if they had delayed release of the (less than popular marketing fiasco) Vario for a month, they could easily sort out the FCC and other countries licenses for GPS much earlier.

(Pssstt......different GPS module.)