Leica SL Tethering

Ruz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys, any of you guys shooting with SL got the same problem as me in terms of tethering? Most of the times, the Lightroom Stops getting the pictures that I shot with the SL. Any suggestion on how to improve this?

and any of you guys figure out on how to shoot tethering with Capture One?

Welcome to my world. Search this topic and you'll find a couple earlier threads on this. Three years after its introduction, tethering to LR, even with a dedicated plugin, is an exercise in futility. More than enough reason for many pros to bolt to the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless systems if they haven't already given up on the SL for studio work. The workaround in Capture One is to designate a hot folder captured through Leica Image Shuttle. C1 won't allow direct tethering due to—allegedly—the rivalry between Phase and Leica. It works OK up to a point before the SL inevitably freezes up, requiring the battery to be ejected to be operational. Which is unforgivable for a camera of this level. And the problem remains unaddressed as far as I am aware. So I don't attempt shooting tethered anymore. Which pisses me off to no end, not to mention the frustration of experiencing equipment failure on set with talent and crew looking on. Grrrrrrr. My older S2 tethers flawlessly either with the hot folder via C1 or with Lightroom. But the newer SL does not. Go figure.

• Like 1

Image Shuttle are stupid, worst than the Lightroom tethering in my experience. SL is a superb camera in terms of IQ. I let myself go and use a Phase One for studio work nowadays. But, I love to shoot tethered even on Location Shoot. Hope that they can do something about it.

Actually, for tethering Leica Image Shuttle is better than the Lightroom plugin. You can change camera settings from within the software, and it gives live view preview with SL and S007.

I use Image Shuttle with S006, as this is my main studio camera. Haven't tried it with SL. I can test and see if there is a problem.

• 4 months later...
Am 11.9.2018 um 21:46 schrieb rriley:

Image shuttle works fine with the SL.

Sorry for getting back on this kinda old thread. 

Image Shuttle works fine with your SL? Even now with the new firmware? Lightroom freezes, Image Shuttle even worse. I shot about 20 pictures in Image shuttle and only 3 will be transferred to my new Macbook. Sometime some more, sometimes even less. After the live view of image shuttle turns black I need to close image shuttle the hard ways. 

Any ideas what's wrong? Just downloaded the newest firmware and image shuttle again. No change, same frustration scenario. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Stunden schrieb PhilippReinhard:

Sorry for getting back on this kinda old thread. 

Image Shuttle works fine with your SL? Even now with the new firmware? Lightroom freezes, Image Shuttle even worse. I shot about 20 pictures in Image shuttle and only 3 will be transferred to my new Macbook. Sometime some more, sometimes even less. After the live view of image shuttle turns black I need to close image shuttle the hard ways. 

Any ideas what's wrong? Just downloaded the newest firmware and image shuttle again. No change, same frustration scenario. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, dvareika said:

Anyone has been able to use the SL with tethering?
I tried it many times, with LR and Image shutter on a win10 system and a lot of problems.
Latest firmware, latest versions of plug in and soft.

Nothing seems to work

I was tethered with the SL between my older Mac (2010  + H.Sierra) and LR. Was working good for the hour I was playing around using the USB3 to USBA cable.

Edited by Jenningsmca

• 3 years later...

Hi

I am thinking about buying a Leica SL typ 601. Sometimes I want to shoot tethered to my MacBook, preferably using Lightroom. 
In my local photo-store they said it works with a Lightroom plugin, but is that really the case?

From what I red so far in the internet there are

image shuttle - does not exist anymore?
lightroom plugin - works sometimes?
capture 1 (21) - don't necessarily want to buy it.

Does anybody have real world experience with tethering the Leica SL typ 601, consistently, in 2022?

16 hours ago, un-342 said:

Hi

I am thinking about buying a Leica SL typ 601. Sometimes I want to shoot tethered to my MacBook, preferably using Lightroom. 
In my local photo-store they said it works with a Lightroom plugin, but is that really the case?

From what I red so far in the internet there are

image shuttle - does not exist anymore?
lightroom plugin - works sometimes?
capture 1 (21) - don't necessarily want to buy it.

Does anybody have real world experience with tethering the Leica SL typ 601, consistently, in 2022?

https://leica-camera.com/en-US/downloads?download_area_category=1171&field_media_document_topic=1695

you can still download the program.

but capture one is a must if that is the work you like to do.

• 2 months later...

Thank you kindly for your reply. 

but...It sounds to good to be true :D
In fact I tried it myself a few hours ago. 
Did not work. 
To be fair. Once upon a time it actually worked for a day. I also loaded the LRC plugin into the software. But since then it's "plug and pray".
Most of the time not even the Leica Image Shuttle works.

Sometimes I wonder how a luxury brand like leica can't deliver on something that simple. But who knows the problem might be Adobe.
That's why I wrote to Leica Germany.. They did not know as well. They suggested to reinstall the plugin and the Leica Image Shuttle. 

Edited by un-342

On 11/28/2022 at 5:57 PM, sandyfaf said:

I have managed to get it to work, using the plug in with the latest version of Lightroom. The caveat is that it only works when there are no memory cards in the camera. Not ideal but works for me every time. SL (601) btw. 

It actually worked to tether the SL type 601 with Lightroom Classic. As you said only without a memory card in the camera. 😢
I guess that's a feature for the SL 3.

Anyway thank you very much for the tipp @sandyfaf

• Like 1

16 hours ago, un-342 said:

It actually worked to tether the SL type 601 with Lightroom Classic. As you said only without a memory card in the camera. 😢
I guess that's a feature for the SL 3.

Anyway thank you very much for the tipp @sandyfaf

in many cases that is an issue with the OS. Many times the card inserted will time out and fail a connection for tether.

I think windows is a bit better in this regard.

Using capture one and SL2 you can have a card in with latest software. Be sure to start with formatted card.

The Leica SL 601 is supported from v21 up

The Leica tether software can be connected with the card inserted, but it has not been updated in years and CaptureOne support came along.

To me the only Tether software that is worth using is capture one at this point. the speed difference to Lightroom is unreal.