Need Some Studio Flash Advice

esophoria

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a M 240, along with an Olympus EVF. I find the focusing peaking to be of significant value to aid in focusing. As you may, know when using the EVF the hotshoe is utilized thereby not allowing me to use a Pocketwizard.

I do know that other cameras have a port that would allow me via a cable to utilize the pocketwizard.

I need advice to help me utilize the setup of both a PocketWizard and the EVF at the same time with my M 240.

Advice please....

Well, of course he can use the sync port connecting to the Pocket Wizard (or any other remote trigger) with the multi-functional handgrip, BUT where to store/ mount the trigger itself?

Below the tripod socket?

Because the normal flash shoe is occupied still with the EVF, if he wants to use it, and IMHO it makes sense for studio work.

So I am struggeling as well, where to mount a remote flash trigger? I haven't seen any solution yet...

Maybe I am missing something here?

If it's studio, ie controlled environment, then a master flash on the hotshoe and optical triggered slaves will work fine for now. While you wait for the accessories to come out.

But if you don't shoot until they're released, you better find another profession - it takes a while see!

Well, of course he can use the sync port connecting to the Pocket Wizard (or any other remote trigger) with the multi-functional handgrip, BUT where to store/ mount the trigger itself?

Below the tripod socket?

Because the normal flash shoe is occupied still with the EVF, if he wants to use it, and IMHO it makes sense for studio work.

So I am struggeling as well, where to mount a remote flash trigger? I haven't seen any solution yet...

Maybe I am missing something here?

I used to keep a bubble level in my hot shoe and attached the radio transmitter to my neck strap using Velcro. Some kind of double hot shoe adapter would make sense but is complicated due to the EVF connection. A second hot shoe on the body makes a lot of sense and while this may ruin the look for some is the way Leica used to do it.

Too bad Jonny Ive didn't think of this improvement.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AlanG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is what I am using in my studio:

2 Einstein lights...which are optically triggered by PocketWizard attached to my M 240. I have a 90 mm Summarit, 90 mm Summicron and a Leica 135 Elmar. M 240 white balanced calibrated.

The two Einstein's have modeling lights...the subject was always a challenge to get in focus-- I like shooting wide open for the bokeh effect, however now with the EVF- focusing is significantly easier.

Just wish the camera accommodated both the EVF and PocketWizard. No US dealer has any idea when the Multigrip will ship. Plus, I'm not sure how all of this gear will feel once hooked up on the camera.

In the old days, Leica could even add flash sync and a socket to a camera that did not have flash sync. If you can't get the grip I don't think you have any option. You might be able to find a really imaginative technician who could modify the EVF's connection to the hot shoe and run some kind of PC socket from the EVF itself... without affecting the camera body.

This is an aside but since you are using the Einstein units have you considered getting the Cyber Commander remote control unit and the receivers for the lights?

I started using White Lightning units years ago and retired my Balcars because they were the only brand that let me control and adjust the lights from a distance. Perhaps your lights are easy to reach and you don't need to do this. But I use up to 10 units which are often spread throughout a large space sometimes on different levels and hard to reach placement. So it has radically sped up my work and given me added precision to be able to fine tune the brightness of each light without having to leave the tethered laptop.

Edited by AlanG

My two lights are within easy reach for me. Plus my Pockewizards do double duty as I also shoot with a Nikon D800 as well as an Olympus OMD.

No need then but the Pocketwizards can be used along with the Cyber Commander. One for control and the other for triggering.

Edited by AlanG