The Sony A7 thread [Merged]

dmclalla

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for sharing. Did you have the opportunity to use the camera with R lenses?

No I don't have any R lenses but I should imagine that they will perform in a similar way as on the other Sony's.

The only way round the smearing with the Sony's seems to be the Kolari conversion

http://kolarivision.com/product/sony-a7-series-thin-filter-legacy-lens-upgrade/

Edited by viramati
  • Like 2

Sadly, my A7r does not power up. I have tried using 2 fully charged batteries. I contacted Sony support twice - they haven't email me directions and address to send the camera. I had upgraded to the new firmware last week. Before that it was working perfectly fine. Not sure if it was a coincidence  :wacko: I was looking forward to using my R 80/1.4 on it this week. 

I'm curious which lenses still have smeared corners. I don't know them. 

After a lot of photos I can say that my lenses I mentioned before (CV 12mm, WATE 16-18-21, Lux 21 and APO Cron 50) haven't.

Even wide open they show not more weaknesses as they do on a Leica M. 

And the A7RII shows definitely more details as the Leica M does with well known very sharp Leica lenses as my APO M 50 and my APO R 180/2.8. 

It has not the same handling as the M of course. 

So to me it is not a replacement for the M (for street-photography I'd prefer the M-Rangefinder) but a very good addition for M- and R-Lenses. 

It is to say that Leica got a new challenge in terms of the sensor-technology they use - in order to make the best out of their best lenses. 

Best regards

lik

After a lot of photos I can say that my lenses I mentioned before (CV 12mm, WATE 16-18-21, Lux 21 and APO Cron 50) haven't. [...]

Why not showing some of your sharp corners here? At infinity or long subject distance and at wide aperture if you don't mind, with wides of course. The CV 12/5.6 at f/5.6 would be interesting to begin with.

After a lot of photos I can say that my lenses I mentioned before (CV 12mm, WATE 16-18-21, Lux 21 and APO Cron 50) haven't.

Even wide open they show not more weaknesses as they do on a Leica M. 

And the A7RII shows definitely more details as the Leica M does with well known very sharp Leica lenses as my APO M 50 and my APO R 180/2.8. 

It has not the same handling as the M of course. 

So to me it is not a replacement for the M (for street-photography I'd prefer the M-Rangefinder) but a very good addition for M- and R-Lenses. 

It is to say that Leica got a new challenge in terms of the sensor-technology they use - in order to make the best out of their best lenses. 

Best regards

lik

Well, congratulations on your superb set of lenses. Those lenses also worked well on the A7R AFAIK.

All the lenses that smear on the A7R will also smear on the A7RII - unless Kolari replaces your filter stack on the sensor.

Of course, stopping down will improve the results.

From my WA Leica M lenses only the WATE 16-18-21/4 worked on the A7R as well as on my M9.  

Sometimes both will benefit from a Lens Cast Correction (LCC) though.

I would expect the color cast to be improved for these of my WA Leica M lenses, namely:

35/1.4, 35/2, 28/2, 28/2.8, and 21/2.8.  I have the ASPH version of the lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3886439

Edited by k-hawinkler
  • Like 1

My CV12 has never been better like this - these results are within its limits at least in my experience - here at 5,6 and 8 - sorry for the flare 

lik

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

To me even more interesting was the Lux 21 which was always bad on my A7R (which I sold already) - here at 1.4, 2.8 and 4 - at 4 it shows more details than on the Leica M - and sorry for the boring scenery...

• Like 3

Lux 21 on M and A7RII at 5.6 - last one is the A7RII

• Like 3

And APO Cron 50 at 2.0...

• Like 2

And later I found this - Viva la .....

;)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I've tried to follow this thread but people argue in so many directions it's hard to work out what's the 'outcome.' Perhaps there is none.  I have considered an a7rii as a second body - I use an M9 plus Canadian summicron 50, Canadian Tele Elmarit 90 and a CZ 25 2.8.  I intend to buy either a Summicron or Summilux 35 - not sure yet which.

I've no intention of giving up my M9 but I do use a Nikon D810 too (a kind of a back up, really) and I'd like to replace that with the A7rii and only have one set of lenses. Issues for me are 1) second body 2) low light photography 3) weight. The speed of focussing isn't such an issue but I'd like to be able to get really good low light files from a second camera and I'd like to avail myself of the a7rii body vibration reduction. Of course I could wait 6 months for an M10 but that's a big cost and a long wait for a second body and I don't see myself ever weaning off the 'look' of the M9, so an M10 can't be my first choice with the M9 as backup. I thought of getting a second M9 but that doesn't solve the low light issues.  

In this thread some people say (and demonstrate) some Leica and other M mount lenses fringe and smear with an a7rii. I wonder how users feel with another year or so experience? Does anyone have direct experience with the Canadian Summicron 50, Canadian Tele Elmarit 90 and a CZ 25 2.8? Does anyone get good results from a Summicron or summilux 35 on an a7rii? And which converter? I'm not enamoured with the idea of an add on motor driven 'auto focus.'

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to offer some insight and - if anyone objects - please excuse me for raising an ancient thread

Edited by antigallican

Less than 50mm and you are into problems generally speaking. The thick cover glass and filter stack leads to mediocre performance at best, even on the basic A7 I had.

My 35mm Summicron asph was unusable, but the 28mm/1.9 Ultron was ok. My 21mm Elmarit asph was good at 8 and 11 but not so good at wider apertures.

50mm Summicron (first rigid type) and Summilux (pre aspheric) were both good, as was 90mm Elmarit (original) and 75mm/2.5 voigtlander, 135 Elmarit and Elmar

In the end I got fed up with the limitations, and the poor reputation and high price of 'native' lenses, and I missed the optical viewfinder, so I traded it for a Fuji Xpro2.

Gerry

• Like 1

I sold my A7R because results with any non-Sony lenses were not sharp - possibly due to its well documented shutter vibration which some (but not all) users experience. I replaced the s/h A7R with a s/h A7S and am extremely pleased with the results using Leica R lenses including the 19mm R Mk II. R lenses are more telecentric than M lenses … thus R lenses generally perform better the M lenses on the Sony A series. 

dunk

• Like 1