M240, Zeiss wide angle lenses and red corners

stickan1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had my M240 now for two months and think that in most cases it is an improvement compared with the M9 that I used from late 2010 up until now. But the performance of my two Zeiss wide angle lenses is worse on the M240. I have the 21/2.8 and the 25/2.8 and could use them on the M9 without correcting for color casts ( after the firmware improvement 1.176). I have the feeling that the M240 have similar problems as the M9 had before 1.176. I have started to use the Adobe Flat field plug in and I find it rather easy to use. I also have Corner Fix that I used for the Voigtländer 15/4.5 on my M9.

Have you also noticed more color issues with wides after moving to the M240? Any suggestions except waiting for next firmware and use Adobe FF or Cornerfix in the meantime.

Yes- Leica does not correct for third-party lenses. Why should they? The best you can do is code to the lens that is the best match, and use flat field correction in post. Lightroom has a plugin and C1 is the most practical. Cornerfix works too.

Yes- Leica does not correct for third-party lenses. Why should they? The best you can do is code to the lens that is the best match, and use flat field correction in post. Lightroom has a plugin and C1 is the most practical. Cornerfix works too.

I know that and I code the lenses manually. But my observation was that when everything else is equal the red corner issue is greater on the M240 than on the M9.

Some examples of red edge issues with M240 can be found here. As far as I can tell the red edge problem with M240 is comparable to that of M9. Unfortunately. So post-correction in Cornerfix, Lightroom or Capture 1 is needed for several (most) of the wide angle lenses, at least when clouds, snow, beaches, white buildings or other whitish elements are part of the image. For the Leica lenses, new firmware may improve the situation, but this remains to be seen.