New M240

mspitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The pictures that come from the new m240 are much better than my old m9. The night time shots are incredible. The higher ISO makes this camera so very different than the m9. This camera my look like an M but is so much more of an improvement over the past digital m9.

mspitz - Welcome to the forum. I agree, color saturation and noise performance, at higher ISO, from the M9 is so deficient on the old CCD sensor compared to the M's CMOS sensor. I upgraded in part because the M9 is mostly unusable for me above 800-1250. And, yes, the R lenses are amazing!

Edited by RickLeica

Gave my new M a run today along with a few similar shots from M9P. Used18, 50 Lux and 75 Cron.

Overall very pleased with focusing, Live View for my 18, quiet shutter, quality of the images and more. Can't imagine any improvement from another maker.

While the images from M9 and M were quite similarin daylight), quality of new M was definitely there. Better detail in one shot and better looking sky in second. Don't see need for 18 view finder either.

Anxious to get R-M adapter to try 100 APO Lou.

Very pleased at first blush and wondering what all the initial fuss was really about!

Ed

• Like 1

The live view for focusing I use about 90% of the time. I trust my judgment and have had great results. At night time shots outside it would be impossible to focus without live view. I am using a Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M Aspherical Wide Angle lens. This works for me however I am looking close at the 50.. but its to close to the 35. To me its about taking the shot. Remember good content out of focus is better than some picture no one cares about in focus!

The live view for focusing I use about 90% of the time. I trust my judgment and have had great results. At night time shots outside it would be impossible to focus without live view. I am using a Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M Aspherical Wide Angle lens. This works for me however I am looking close at the 50.. but its to close to the 35. To me its about taking the shot. Remember good content out of focus is better than some picture no one cares about in focus!
:confused:The rangefinder is considerably better for focussing this lens than live view is, especially at night.
  • Like 1

Not when you can not see the subject at all, B/C it is so dark outside, then the live view with 5X brings into the live view the subject to focus on. With out this, it would be impossible to focus thru the range finder. Try it once.. when you can master it, you will discover much more about your M240. I have been shooting for 59 years now. If night time photos are what you are looking to do, then this is a must in very dark situations. The M240 has no competitors in this area.

Talking about R lenses...

I don't know if someone is interested in. Here you are an imagen taken with Apo-Telyt R f/ 3.4 180 mm plus Apo-Extender R 2x (= 360 mm. lens), f/8, ISO 800. I don't know if sRGB is OK???

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Much better only RGB.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If I can't see it in the viewfinder, I find the EVF pretty useless too. And the resulting image...

I'm currently using a £300 Panasonic MFT camera with EVF as a see-in-the-dark low light scope for evaluating the dark interiors of ruins before going in with the real camera (Hasselblad) and then making time exposures. Works really well.

I hope the EVF on the £5100 Leica M will allow me to do the same.

:confused:The rangefinder is considerably better for focussing this lens than live view is, especially at night.

I agree. After a few months of the M I find that the rangefinder is by far the best way of focussing in low light. After all this is one of the original areas where an RF camera beats a manual focus SLR and LV as well

I have the VF-2 for my X-Vario but dont plan to use it at all on my M, as I also dont plan to use R-glass on the M.

For manual focusing the rangefinder is the best way for my taste. The optical viewfinder is one of the reasons why I like the new M so much. Personally I am glad that the EVF is not integrated in the camera but an add on. So people who like it can add it, and others like me can use the new M just the way we have used Ms the last 30 or 40 years ;)

• Like 2

I should shut up until I sell my M9, but my new M240 is phenomenal.

I have never been really happy with digital. I used to shoot with a Contax G2 and loved the way it looked with Velvia 100 (I published two books with a high end press in which almost all the photographs were with that combination… I remember when I first told a magazine I was going to shoot with 35mm… they balked… then they saw the results…). This is the first camera that rivals that.

Oh and I also picked up a Voigtlander Nokton 1.5 (both camera and lens are silver and from Will in Photovillage in NYC…he's great). My new go to lens. I've never liked a 50 as much as this one.

In half a week I have shot 1/10th as many shots as I did with my M9 in 1 1/2 years. I love being able to take shots at night again. It's been a while.

• Like 1

Guest malland
The pictures that come from the new m240 are much better than my old m9. The night time shots are incredible. The higher ISO makes this camera so very different than the m9. This camera my look like an M but is so much more of an improvement over the past digital m9.
...I agree, color saturation and noise performance, at higher ISO, from the M9 is so deficient on the old CCD sensor compared to the M's CMOS sensor. I upgraded in part because the M9 is mostly unusable for me above 800-1250...!
...If night time photos are what you are looking to do, then this is a must in very dark situations. The M240 has no competitors in this area.
I should shut up until I sell my M9, but my new M240 is phenomenal...I love being able to take shots at night again. It's been a while.
Lot's of statements about how great the M240 is at high-ISO and at night. Maybe, but no evidence is shown in this thread — and I've only seen one M240 high-ISO shot on LUF that I can recall, which was stated as being taken in light so dark that the photographer's eyes could barely make out the subject; and the shot looked like a surveillance camera photograph. I would like to see some evidence that these night shots are as good as stated above, as my skepticism is about color rendition compared to that of the M9.

My view detailed in another thread is that the conventional wisdom about the M9 simply is wrong: using the technique of shooting at ISO 640 and pushing exposure in LR5, makes the M9 a very good camera for night photography with color rendition that I have not seen matched by another camera. Below are four night shots with the M9 using this technique, pushed about 2–4+ stops. It amazes me that this technique, and the real high-ISO capability of the M9 is not generally known, considering that it's now four years since this camera came out.

Leica M9-P | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 4.15 stops (effective ISO 11,008) | f/4.0 | 1/60 sec

9515719329_cbc0ae2286_b.jpg

Bangkok

Leica M9 | Summicron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 4 stops on main subject (effective ISO 10,240) | f/4.0 | 1/60 sec

9421090989_2533d225ae_b.jpg

Hua Hin

Leica M9 | Summicron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 2.25 stops | f/4.0 | 1/125 sec

9227619430_839e0aa168_b.jpg

Bangkok

Leica M9 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 3 stops | f/2.0 | 1/180 sec

9221110950_b4cc5656ef_b.jpg

Bangkok

—Mitch/Paris

Tristes Tropiques [WIP]