Anatomy of the Leica M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mark - Those of us who had not been converted to the Red Dot religion, and harboured unshakeable irritation at some of the bonkers design decisions made by Leica for the M8 and WATE have just been done a disservice by you. You have now made it churlish to harbour grumpiness about the camera's design and cost, you've left us little to moan about!

Just when the forum was getting boring with reports of how the M8 was functioning like a camera, instead of like an errant electronics box, your post has come roaring in like a Wagnerian screecher in heat. I blame that long, amazing thread started by David Adamson about making large M8 prints for getting me into M8 debt, and now your thread has stolen my non-believer status. What is a chap to do?

Bravo Mark; a truly amazing piece of work by you. And well done Leica for being more 'delivery' than the 'show' I suspected.

...............My name is Chris, and I was a heretic.

So this job certainly doesn't deserve a clean room for it ... rocket science. LOL

Great work, Mark! This is unquestionably the simple biggest contribution to the chatboard to date, the moderators should give a sticky to this thread.

Since it is a standard Li-ion cell, I doubt much whether leaving the camera battery out for 4 days drains it-so our speculation that this can "reset" the camera is pretty much bogus?

You have an opportunity here to actually measure the cell, so you will know if it actually drains. In the manual, it says that it takes 30 days to recharge no?

Well, actually, if its is an MC621, that might support the 4 day drain theory - 3mAh is a very small battery - over 4 days, a drain of 30uA -quite possible for a clock and some CMOS storage - would exhaust it.

Sandy

Thank you Mark for showing us this incredible piece of the technique inside the M8 and the guts that you have to dismantled the camera, but for sure you get it working again.

I hope Leica is not deleting this tread.

My M8 came back yesterday and have done some shots it looks now ok, back focus problem is gone.

Theo

So Mark, I'm curious, with your knowledge of Leica gear and electronics, are there any modifications/upgrades/tweaks that you will be adding to your reassembled M8? Certainly, it may offer you a blank canvas (albeit, a very cramped 3d canvas) to suit your imagination. Once you get it back together and functioning again, I somehow picture you disassembling it again to experiment.

Kurt

Kurt, the camera is not really suited to be continually taken apart and put back together. At some point, one of the flex print connectors would fail which would really spoil your day.

So, no, I'm not planning any modifications to the camera. Once it goes back together, it will hopefully stay that way!

Well, actually, if its is an MC621, that might support the 4 day drain theory - 3mAh is a very small battery - over 4 days, a drain of 30uA -quite possible for a clock and some CMOS storage - would exhaust it.

Sandy

Remember that a stuck camera is probably still ON, at least in parts. I have had the experience of discharging the primary Li-Ion battery of my M8 overnight by leaving the camera switched on to single shot mode, with no activity visible at either LCD, simply because I forgot to set automatic shutoff back on to a value like 2 or 5 minutes after doing a battery rundown. So the backup battery may see some other drains if it is not completely isolated from those jobs.

scott

There's space for a thicker filter but the problem is the impact it will have on image quality.

I would love to see empirical evidence of a *significant* negative impact on image quality caused by a proper IR filter over the sensor. Since on-lens filters have their own impact, I would be interested to see a test demonstrating that one is better than the other.

If Leica put weak IR filtration over the sensor on purpose, then they must have run the tests. I still have a nagging suspicion that they just goofed.

What a blast, Mark thanks for your article.....it has to be one off the best photo related threads I have ever seen.

In my everyday work, I am working a digital camera project for aerospace applications, my Optics Engineer (a Canon DSLR owner) and I just went through your photo by photo analysis. Don't really think there are too many secrets there, but a very interesting report!!

Great work.

rolopix, there have been some articles showing how the Epson R-D1 has much worse corner performance than the M8, even with a larger crop factor. This is attributed to its thicker filter.

That's too funny, Carsten, was the author able to draw his conclusion through side by side test with a thinner and a thicker IR filters with the R-D1?

Where did you read these articles?