marknorton

Anatomy of the Leica M8

Fantastic! Now I won't be tempted to do it.

Seeing it in all the pieces, it's amazing they ever get these things work at all, much less stay working.

Wow I have seen some complex electronic assemblies but this one is amazing. Thanks for sharing this. Makes me appreciate that Leica was able to pull it off.

Very, very cool Mark. Makes my slicing of Canon mirrors with a Dremel to use Leica R lenses seem like child's play.

Kurt

Well, it looks as if we got our money's worth

, there's a lot of engineering in that product! I wonder if any location other than Solms will ever be able to service them.

Mark from the work you've done have you been able to acertain why there seemed to be such a high impedance between various parts of the body shell components? If I remember correctly some time ago you measured about 100 Ohms between some items.

Bob.

Marc, do you think a full-frame camera can be built just by swapping the electronics and swapping the shutter ? Is there space ?

Edmund

Mark, it is impressive!

Do you think it would have been possible to replace the motorized cocking device by a manual lever like that of the Epson R-D1? (I would have preferred that).

Mark, you gotta get the vote for the biggest cojones!!!

That was an impressive display of virtuoso, afraid-of-nothing, engineering talent! Many thanks for the public service and for your perspectives on the M8 design and build.

Jeff (still shaking his head...)

Woah! Super impressive Post!

I hope you get to write this one off as a biz expense if it doesn't go back togeather!

Thank you very much for the insight in to my beloved camera. Your posts make me apprciate the camera even more than i already did

Really mesmerizing getting a guided tour of the guts of the M8. You laid it out in a way even I could understand it. I've got a whole new respect for the camera. Thanks.

I tried running the motor directly from a 3v battery and, outside the camera, it is much quieter than when inside. I think at least some of the excessive shutter noise comes from vibrations from the motor being amplified because it is directly mounted on the camera body. A compliant mounting to reduce transmission might reduce the noise.

When you put it back together, are you going to try and mod it to reduce the shutter noise? If not you, SOMEBODY should make an attempt at it.

Guest sirvine

This makes all the hand-wringing about sensor cleaning seem a little silly. Thanks, Mark.

Guest guy_mancuso

Mark your certifiable but we love ya. LOL

Awesome to see this, now don't start drinking and try to put it back together, you may get a M7 1/2

all of that costs $5000? i can't help thinking that the innards look cheap.

very cool project, though. that takes guts.

Mark - This must be the best thread ever anywhere. No one has commented on your macro technique, which is off the scale. Thanks!

Any comments on strengths and weaknesses of environmental sealing?