Anatomy of the Leica M8

Murmur, no i'm not selling it, it would not be fair to do so!

I don't know why it would be unfair as long as the buyer is aware of its history.

Anyway, if you change your mind, let me know how much you'd like for it. :)

Murray

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mark:

Simply incredible job with the M8 dissection!

Now, next holiday weekend when you have some spare time, is there a possiblity that you could dismantle my ex-wife, flatten out the flex joints, take macro-photos, and figure out just how the f*#@k she made hers and my life so miserable? :D

Craig, this was intended to be a serious demonstration of the underlying technology and innovation in the Leica M8. Judging by your contribution, I think your wife made the right decision but probably left it a little late.

Mark:

I apologize for what was -- to you, anyway -- an ill attempt at humor. I suppose it was too far out of context.

As a tinkerer myself on many objects (cameras, firearms, guitars, English cars and motorcycles [yes, I'm well aware of Lucas electrics]) I was serious in applauding both your incredible bravery and technical prowess in dismantling the M8, explicating its parts and their processes, and capturing very professional photographs of the whole process.

As an over thirty-year user of both the Leica M and R systems, and a former photojournalist and commercial photographer, I also applaud Leica in creating the M8 within the physical confines of the M camera we all revere, and marvel at their ability to engineer the thing in a relatively short amount of time.

I should have learned my lesson in attempting humor in a public forum (look at what happened to radio disk jockey Don Imus here in the States), considering how sensitive and political people now are about nearly everything.

I have read and enjoyed (and learned much) from your many posts over the last several years on this forum, and, having gleaned a touch of negative sarcasm in your response to my post, am sorry that it was interpreted as anything other than as an innocent quip.

Mark,

Let me pile on with one more BRAVO.

Knowing what lies beneath this descrete and traditional Leica M form, just makes me appreciate the tremendous volume of engineering to acheive these results. What pleasure to see up close the results of the work of so many engineers at Leica.

Mark, your excellent disecton has revealed a whole new world just under my fingertips, that I cold just guess about before.

Many Thanks again.

OPEN MESSAGE TO LEICA:

I think I may speak for all on this forum, when I say that we believe that Mark has done Leica a huge service by his deconstruction and demonstration of the incredible levels of development and engineering that have gone into the M8. Links to this thread have appeared on all sorts of camera forums all over the internet and I would be very surprised if you did not sell many more M8 cameras as a result. It has completely destroyed any myth that the M8 was overpriced and now in fact, appears to be good value.

I think therefore, that it would be a commensurate gesture on the company's behalf, if a brand new complimentary M8 were to be sent by you to him, in recognition of his service to the company.

Wilson Laidlaw

OPEN MESSAGE TO LEICA:

I think I may speak for all on this forum, when I say that we believe that Mark has done Leica a huge service by his deconstruction and demonstration of the incredible levels of development and engineering that have gone into the M8. Links to this thread have appeared on all sorts of camera forums all over the internet and I would be very surprised if you did not sell many more M8 cameras as a result. It has completely destroyed any myth that the M8 was overpriced and now in fact, appears to be good value.

I think therefore, that it would be a commensurate gesture on the company's behalf, if a brand new complimentary M8 were to be sent by you to him, in recognition of his service to the company.

Wilson Laidlaw

Yes, I totally agree and wholeheartedly second your suggestion. IMHO Mark's anatomy thread is the single most interesting thread on any intertnet forum I have come across.

In addition to laughing and enjoying Spargel - see Mark's recent comment - Leica should not only send the camera to Mark but make it a unique one by engraving his name on the top cover to the left of the flash hot shoe.

Teddy

@theodor:

For Mark, they should place the personal engraving INSIDE the camera so he can see it from time to time ;-))

@mark:

wonderful work, I spend half of my office time yesterday converting your postings into a MS Word Document an printed it. Great! Thanks!

Stefan

PS: My wife just said we will have Spargel this evening ;-))))))))))))

@theodor:

For Mark, they should place the personal engraving INSIDE the camera so he can see it from time to time ;-))

... or, while we're at it, perhaps a one-off special with a clear polycarbonate body which could find a place on Mark's mantlepiece so that he could peruse the internal organs without having to deconstruct it. :D

(On second thought, perhaps this would appeal more to Damien Hurst. :rolleyes:)

delighted to learn you got the M8 back together & it is working fine

I never doubted you could pull this off

I agree with the suggestions that a special edition M8 should be made honoring your achievement ...the idea of a transparent model seems most appropriate

what you did is amazing & muchly appreciated