Trading in Noctilux for APO Summicron?

aboodchy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

....If you don't have a use for the gear, don't understand why someone else does, or don't like the look of it, or any other of the hundreds of reasons people find and use tools to their needs, doesn't mean the user of such gear is a clueless but cashed up attention whore.

Perfect.... well said!

• 2 years later...

If you want edge-to-edge sharpness, a flat image field, and absence of aberrations the APO is one of the few Leica lenses that will deliver.

If you want character (pleasing aberrations) or need greater isolation or need to shoot at higher shutter speeds, then you have the choice of faster lenses.

Finally, price and ergonomics (weight, viewfinder blockage) will also be factors. No point in getting a Noctilux if you can't be bothered to carry it with you.

So the two lenses are not direct substitutes for each other. They meet different needs and preferences. For a bit of everything, people tend to choose the Summilux and live with the mid-field (relative) weakness.

I totally agree.  I owned the 50 Lux for 2 years, then sold it for the 50 Noc. I used the Noc for a few weeks.  The weight and size for an everyday lens just didn't cut it for me, especially since I don't shoot wide open all the time.  I traded it in for the 50 APO.  What a fantastic lens for everything. It's quality gives images a dimensional tonal quality I've never seen before.  If I could also own the Noctilux for those sometimes images where f0.95 would be cool, I would.

• Like 2

No, don't do it.  Summilux 1.4 APO FLE is better than Cron f2 IMO.  Has a much more 3d effect than the f2 by far.  On film the lux is better.  My preferred medium.  Sold my APO f2 and haven't looked back.  Just my opinion of course.  

Edited by B-A-C