Few Questions From New M4 Owner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi – first post on this forum.

Just purchased my first Leica – and I couldn’t be happier. Landed in a mint M4 with 50mm Cron DR (oh what a sweet set). In my other life I also shoot a Nikon D4 – but I wanted to get back to my analog film days. Really looking forward to the experience.

I do have some newbie questions – if someone would be so kind as to help me answer (some of) them:

1. Can you use Zeiss cleaning towlettes to clean the Cron and VF/RF windows (not that often, but occasionally when things get really dirty)? I use it on my Nikon glass, but heard that the Cron was somewhat sensitive.

2. 1/60s is usually the minimum handhold speed for digital (typically the reciprocal of your working focal length). Do you find that you can handhold at slower speeds on a Leica RF?

3. Will those diopters you can purchase at places like B&H work on a M4? I couldn’t see how something like that would attach to the small black circular eyepiece. Any suggestions for determining the correct correction?

4. I assume the ASA wheel on the back door is for reference only – as it didn’t look like it moved.

5. Lastly, I purchased a B+W Yellow/Orange MRC filter. What exposure compensation would I apply when using this filter? I assume the filter has an exposure value of 1-2 stops?

Appreciate it. Just ordered some Neopan Acros 100 and Ektar 100 and can’t wait to try them out.

Cheers,

Daniel

www.danielstainer.com

The ASA/ISO wheel on the back of the camera is a film reminder. A handy device if you are using several different bodies and one meter. Your yellow/orange filter will be between one and one half stop adjustment depending on how dark it is. Welcome to the wonderful world of analog photography.

Hi – first post on this forum.

Just purchased my first Leica – and I couldn’t be happier. Landed in a mint M4 with 50mm Cron DR (oh what a sweet set). In my other life I also shoot a Nikon D4 – but I wanted to get back to my analog film days. Really looking forward to the experience.

Welcome & Congratulation to the M4, one of the most worth desiring M's! And the DR Summicron has a charme on its own.

1. Can you use Zeiss cleaning towlettes to clean the Cron and VF/RF windows (not that often, but occasionally when things get really dirty)? I use it on my Nikon glass, but heard that the Cron was somewhat sensitive.

Of cousre! Zeiss will not add special impregnation to hurt Leica lenses.;)

Dust has to be blown off, nothing hard should be left on the glass before You start GENTLY wiping with the CLEAN and PROVED for CLEANNESS cloth. Some pure Alcohol ON THE COLTH, NOT dropped onto the lens might help.

Only earlier collapsiple Crons where sensitive to scratches on tghe glass. But coating on newer lenses also is not hard as diamont....

1/60s is usually the minimum handhold speed for digital (typically the reciprocal of your working focal length). Do you find that you can handhold at slower speeds on a Leica RF?
Try out! Ther is noboby knowing, how You hold the cam and how You breath using the cam. 1/8 ist often used by experienced users with success.

3. Will those diopters you can purchase at places like B&H work on a M4? I couldn’t see how something like that would attach to the small black circular eyepiece. Any suggestions for determining the correct correction?

don't know, if B&H will fit, but also have a look to E-Clypse EyeCup in the net...

4. I assume the ASA wheel on the back door is for reference only – as it didn’t look like it moved.

press & turn, it should move, but has of course no influence to the M4.

5. Lastly, I purchased a B+W Yellow/Orange MRC filter. What exposure compensation would I apply when using this filter? I assume the filter has an exposure value of 1-2 stops?

1 -1.5, depending on the light around, use 1 stop, will be o.k.

kind regards

Thomas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1/60s is usually the minimum handhold speed for digital (typically the reciprocal of your working focal length). Do you find that you can handhold at slower speeds on a Leica RF?

Yes. I regularly shoot at 1/8 with my M4 because the shutter release is so ridiculously smooth that there's not even the slightest movement of the camera body as I press. I shot EOS before and I would not feel sure I'd get a sharp image at 1/8. I would always try to stick to the reciprocal of the focal length or brace/lean against something.

My TTL, however, has a rougher shutter release than the M4 and with it I feel more comfortable at 1/15. My II(D) obviously only goes to 1/20 but that's no problem with that camera, given its small size and easily pressed shutter release.

Cheers

Philip