I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

M5 + Fuji Experia 400 - converted to B&W

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, stray cat said:

Adam - wouldn't I love to. Heading to Boston in May but unfortunately won't make it back to NYC this time.

This is from our return journey last year:

honolulu 2019

m6ttl, 90mm summicron, portra 400

Wow, I love stopovers in Honolulu ... 😍

5 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

I've been busy doing other things, while you all where out and about, shooting roll after roll :) It will take a while for me to see all those posts of the last month, but rest assured, I will look at all of them! From our annual skiing and snowboarding trip I brought only a couple of pics. Developed this roll today and think some of the frames might meet the high standards of this thread.

Ricoh GR1 -  Tri-X (dev. in Rodinal 1+50

welcome back, James.  It has been too long and it looks like you have some inspiring frames for us.  You are off to a good start :)

7 minutes ago, robert_parker said:

Canal and Boats at Night, Bruges, Belgium; Pentax 67, Takumar 105, expired Fuji Velvia 50 

Very lovely, Robert.  The old velvia fared pretty well despite the low light 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, gbealnz said:

Wowsers. Love it.

Thanks, Gary. 

44 minutes ago, gbealnz said:

S

SL with 50 Summicron XP2

Very nice.  Where are we - somewhere in Italy?

Just now, Ernest said:

Catching some rays takes on a whole new 6x17 dimension!

funny, Rog:)  Usually this lens is not a champ in direct or side sunlight.  Dunno what happened here. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, stray cat said:

Touché! And a great example, Christoph.

You take a scene. That scene includes something inarguably classic and recognizable - the Empire State Building or "just" that magnificent New York skyline. Whatever else is going on in the picture already has our attention. When it is people absorbed in an activity we are (I think) psychologically drawn into their world. It is picture-taking gold right there. Easy and available. Your touching on Chris Marker and La Jetée had my mind spinning off at tangents. We are looking at people standing on the edge of something looking to something else that is out of reach. As an Australian I recognize it as what I'd consider a national trait - we are always looking out to the rest of the world. But as photographers it is irrefutably what we do - we look at something outside of us and try to bring it within, if not our reach, then our grasp. Because with a photograph we can, at our leisure, examine at length at the details of the photograph, and perhaps it begins to take on some meaning for us that is not intrinsic to the formal elements pictured. For me, the photographs I took that evening at The Top of the Rock seem much better than they did when I took them. they represent a moment, now passed, and now well out of reach as I am currently 16,686km from the Rockefeller Center. It has a romantic pull for me, looking at these pictures and others from New York. A picture, a memory, a souvenir - something that has become an intrinsic part of the lived experience.

You are so deep, I am bobbing along, just barely touching bottom, and I love being so precarious--keeps me alive listening to your poetry. But, but, you say, "It is picture-taking gold right there. Easy and available." Not so fast, pardner. It's never easy. Street photography is hard, very hard. So Robert Frank shot 27,000 frames and selected 83 of them for The Americans. And the mercurial Trent Parke! I love watching him sashay on YouTube, his creative volt meter bouncing into the red. He must have used a Nikon F6, shooting 5.5-8 fps for his Camera Is God. (If only I could tip off the gallery that "is" must be capitalized in titles, even though it's such a short verb.)

I love the breath of life in your photographs, begging narrative voice, a radio play for photography. I'm pedaling fast as I can to catch a glimpse of your next shot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fringe
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura & Rolleiflex 2.8 F E100

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Show your Snow Man..... This is our one.

KG 200 home developed in DYI C41 Dev  and Unicolor Blix  

Edited by Calin

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Fringe
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura & Rolleiflex 2.8 F E100

A red and a blue square; a clear and impressive statement... I love it, even more the fungus growing on the interface, showing that not everything is supreme here... Next stop: Black Square. There are connections to ...    

vor 10 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Tel Aviv, Tri-X (6x17)

As you say: life is a beach. Great atmosphere here, tranquil, the aperture rays adding a surrealistic touch. Great !

vor 10 Stunden schrieb robert_parker:

Canal and Boats at Night, Bruges, Belgium; Pentax 67, Takumar 105, expired Fuji Velvia 50 

Robert, nice contrast of colors and very expert handling  of the capricious velvia here...

Edited by Kl@usW.
typo
  • Like 1