I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Just now, Xícara de Café said:

Hello there,

I live in Rio de Janeiro but do not stroll in Copacabana with a camera ! 

I shot the above photo in 2014 , a few months before the Football World Cup, during a workshop - part of a photography course attended by the local kids  at the City of God - run by  pro photographer Christophe Simon .

Another friend shot this video about it:

Best regards, Jean-Marc.

20 minutes ago, JMF said:

Yes, and the most important thing, to anyone that visits, is never to react or resist. Keep your head down, ie. don't look them in the eye, and hand over that Leica! The fellow in Copacabana started to fight the boys, which is why it ended badly.

The video looks great Jean-Marc, looking forward to watching it properly later. All the best!

vor 4 Stunden schrieb JMF:

convincing  framing-the high contrast adds to the  quality. 

vor 14 Stunden schrieb sblitz:

Ektachrome 120 Fuji645 60mm Ludlow VT

great smile ! 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb philipus:

A member of the Fedora Club possibly.

Flickr
50/2 XP2 (EI400) HC-110(E) Coolscan 9000

Philip, could we agree on "enrollee" ? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shoebox, 1999, Making of... Walter Schels -the teacher of a Hasselblad workshop on " People and Portrait " -is coaching one of his pupils and acts as a model . I had the privilege of attending several of his workshops;  he is not only an excellent photographer--have a look at his books-- but also the most gentle, friendly and unvain person I got to know in his field. And last not least- a great storyteller..The one yarn I liked most is the story of how he made the Dalai Lama NOT smile for the portrait..... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

HB 205, Planar 80 open, Fuji Provia 

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Kl@usW.:

Well done Jörg. I wonder  how your Leica IIIf is handling all the sand it is exposed to... 😳

Thanks Klaus,

I try to be careful, when I take photos at the seaside. Most of the time the camera is in my bag, and I do not use it, when it is to windy. So until now the IIIf, and all my other cameras, still work.

Regards
Jörg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Norman Peritore said:

Thanks for your remark about the colors, i have to admit guiltily that i goosed them up a bit in LR. Is that bad practice for a film photographer? Im going to print them up and see if the color holds up or looks artificial in large scale. How do you guys print? What textures and levels of gloss and paper colors do you use. (Digital printing, no room for a real  lab in my apartment).

Thanks Norman. I personally don’t think any processing that gets you the picture you want is bad practice. It may or may not end up being a close facsimile of what you saw when you took it, but its future is in the photographer’s hands - if it is more desirable to tweak things one way or another, then what’s wrong with that? And of course you can always re-scan and re-edit as much as you want. As for digital printing, I’m happy with Canson papers, and Platine is my go-to. Some pictures look great on textured and/or matt papers like Aquarelle or BFK Rives, too, so it’s really horses for courses.

Thank you, too, along with Jean-Marc and Xicara for your interesting discussion about photography in Brazil. It sounds as though there’s quite a lot to consider when stepping out to photograph. By the look of the pictures you’re all producing, though, a vastly stimulating and worthwhile exercise. Just please take care, all of you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stray cat said:

Thank you, too, along with Jean-Marc and Xicara for your interesting discussion about photography in Brazil. It sounds as though there’s quite a lot to consider when stepping out to photograph. By the look of the pictures you’re all producing, though, a vastly stimulating and worthwhile exercise. Just please take care, all of you!

Thanks ! 

Best regards from Brazil 🙂

Cidade das Artes by JM__, on Flickr

BW conversion of Fuji Pro Value 200 - 35 Summicron v1 - M2-R

Edited by JMF

16 hours ago, benqui said:

You know this expression Adam! We were talking about different tax laws in the US and Europe😉

Ha ha, yes she looks very engaged :)

12 hours ago, Norman Peritore said:

Thanks for your remark about the colors, i have to admit guiltily that i goosed them up a bit in LR. Is that bad practice for a film photographer? Im going to print them up and see if the color holds up or looks artificial in large scale. How do you guys print? What textures and levels of gloss and paper colors do you use. (Digital printing, no room for a real  lab in my apartment).

My paper of choice of color prints is the Fuji Flex high gloss paper.  I have a description of it on my website.  I face mount it on plexiglass.  I use Whitewall in Germany for the printing and local labs (in NY and Europe) for the mounting.

11 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Hi Patrick, my wife is Brazilian and wouldn't let me anywhere near a favela! I see JMF, another gringo here I believe, seems also a little more free in this regard :-). But by the way, did you see that a French photographer was stabbed with a broken bottle on the Copacabana promenade yesterday or the day before by two 14 year olds? He wasn't actually taking photos at the time, or it wasn't reported.

The last black and white of the temple? It was 11"45' I think. The dev chart recommended 13" at 20 degrees but it was a particularly hot morning and the best temperature my water filter would give was 21 or 22, so I cut the time a bit. Cheers,

Interesting you mention the favela.  I just helped an Israeli friend of mine write responses to an interview that was published a couple of weeks ago on the LFI blog.  He occasionally goes to Rio on business and a few months ago stayed a couple of extra days and toured the favela with his M2.  His english is pretty broken and so I had to get into his head to write what he really was meaning to say.  So as such I had an occasion to visualize how it is there.  Bottom line - I wouldn't go near there!

https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/blog/lfi-gallery-photographer-assaf-gavra-2074.html

10 hours ago, JMF said:

Hello there,

I shot the above photo in 2014 , a few months before the Football World Cup, during a workshop - part of a photography course attended by the local kids  at the City of God - run by  pro photographer Christophe Simon .

Another friend shot this video about it:

Best regards, Jean-Marc.

awesome!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, A miller said:

Interesting you mention the favela.  I just helped an Israeli friend of mine write responses to an interview that was published a couple of weeks ago on the LFI blog.  He occasionally goes to Rio on business and a few months ago stayed a couple of extra days and toured the favela with his M2.  His english is pretty broken and so I had to get into his head to write what he really was meaning to say.  So as such I had an occasion to visualize how it is there.  Bottom line - I wouldn't go near there!

https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/blog/lfi-gallery-photographer-assaf-gavra-2074.html

awesome!

Thanks Adam !

On my own, I would not go take pictures in Rocinha . Living half a mile down the hill from Rocinha,  at times,  I still hear heavy gunshots ...

I guess the less you know  the more daring you get .

I do venture into the calmer nearby Vidigal !

Vidigal by JM__, on Flickr

Vidigal by JM__, on Flickr

^^ Ricoh GR21 Portra 160

Rua, Vidigal, Rio de Janeiro. by JM__, on Flickr

^ Ricoh GR1V - Ilford 3200

and up the hill:

Rocinha by JM__, on Flickr

^ Ilford 50 - GR1V

Rio de Janeiro by JM__, on Flickr

^ Xpan - 45mm - TriX

Best regards, JM.

Edited by JMF

Wow Xicara, what a wonderful project, these kids have such a fresh view, and they are reinventing many of the classical photos. I think we over study sometimes,and lose the freshness. Like Picasso said, he spent his whole life trying to paint like a child. Im sorry about the assault, I hope there arent any long lasting effects. The nasty parts of Brazil have the best photos, and often the nicest people, its the odd criminal that makes for the risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Camo Architecture
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 18

Tomorrow, Sometime
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 9