I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Interesting: What scanner do you have Antonio and how do you think they compare? As far as I’m aware dedicated scanners do not have a Bayer filter array whereas a general colour enabled camera does.

Steve you are absolutely  right !

Scanner is CCD sensor WITHOUT Bayer Filter

Scan by digital camera WITH BF with color denaturation

Best  H  the can's worms

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, A miller said:

A month or so I posted an iPhone image from about 1:30am from Dumbo in Brooklyn.  I had a vision of capturing this iconic scene with my 6x17 camera during the Hanukkah week in which the Empire State Building was illuminated like a candle, with colors that are complimentary to the surrounding buildings in the scene.  I went in the middle of the week to minimize the chance of coming across other human beings and moving cars.  But not too late because the ESB lights turn off at 2am every day.

I observed that the bottom half of the scene was significantly brighter than the top half and that if I was to have any chance of capturing details in the top part of the bridge I should use an ND grad filter.   So I threw on a 3 stop medium ND grad and did my best to take an average exposure reading (taking into account the effect of the ND grad).

The exposure time was over 6 minutes.  I was completely blown away by the detail in the top part of the scene that I couldn't even see with my naked eye, including - if you look closely - streak of stars running across the sky 😲.   It typically is so hard to see ANY stars over Manhattan given the amount of luminance from the buildings.  But the night sky was SO crystal clear and dark that I guess the stars were ripe for visibility.  

I probably could clone out the stars and am interested in thoughts regarding whether they should stay.  They look kind of odd :) but in that way also authentic (?) 

There were some straggling humans walking their dogs that passed by.  Even a car or two.  But the 6+ minute exposure washed them all away :)

The bottom line - Ektar is my hero 😍

Ektar (6x17) (1GB+) ♥️

180mm Schneider APO Symmar

Technorama 617s iii

Adam  SUPERB picture and color .... and with film the summit of beauty

Best H

• Like 3

On 1/16/2019 at 4:53 PM, philipus said:

...Eoin! Great to see you pop in (says I, who was also out for a long time). Looking forward to the PP pictures. Best wishes for 2019...

Thanks, Philip! Happy New Year to you, too. Our combined disappearing acts could earn us a magician placing at Vegas...

• Haha 1

At the altar. Leica M7, 50mm Summilux-M ASPH, HP5Plus, Rodinal.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 16

vor 10 Stunden schrieb A miller:

I probably could clone out the stars and am interested in thoughts regarding whether they should stay.  They look kind of odd :) but in that way also authentic (?) 

Really a very impressive photo Adam!  It is so three-dimensional with lucent colors. Since there are no people at all on the streets it almost looks like a scenery in a Film Studio. Concerning the stars it depends on your attitude: a hard core film Enthusiast would never ever clone them out. But on the other hand I would like to see it in a cloned version. I think without the stars you are aware of more details on the photo and you are not deviated by the bright stars.

• Like 1

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Hi H - from memory I think it is was junkyard cheap Fuji Superia - I used to buy it by 'the brick at about $2 a roll of 24...and whack it into my Xpan and MP ( the real film MP ) combination when I was shooting film a lot - scanned on a cheap Epson something or other flatbed years ago. Love film - but hate the hassle and expense and lack of development choices these days - but occasionally get the itch and shoot a few rolls of B&W I develop myself.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterGA
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PeterGA said:

Hi H - from memory I think it is was junkyard cheap Fuji Superia - I used to buy it by 'the brick at about $2 a roll of 24...and whack it into my Xpan and MP ( the real film MP ) combination when I was shooting film a lot - scanned on a cheap Epson something or other flatbed years ago. Love film - but hate the hassle and expense and lack of development choices these days - but occasionally get the itch and shoot a few rolls of B&W I develop myself.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete.

The color is nice like that and looks like Cinestill  ...   sure if you have a good scan like Nikon Coolscan or Epson V700-800

the definition will be better but  I prefer the version posted .

Best H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Interesting: What scanner do you have Antonio and how do you think they compare? As far as I’m aware dedicated scanners do not have a Bayer filter array whereas a general colour enabled camera does.

I have a V600 that I still use for 120mm. For 35mm I switched to digital camera scanning; I used my Fuji X-T10 (16 megapixel, non-bayer) for a while and then I switched to a cheap used Sony A5100 just to have 24 megapixel. On my opinion, the Sony is easier to use because the magnification is higher and I can focus better. Also the Sony can shoot at 100 iso while the Fuji is limited to 200. The lens is an enlarger lens. I have ordered a used macro lens (Nikkor 55/3.5)  to see if I can use this set-up for 120mm as well. 

I consider the results to be much better than what I was getting from the V600. I know there are better dedicated film scanners, but this workflow works pretty well for me. At the end I'm just an hobbyst.

Film scanners vs digital camers is usually a hot argument in the forum. Everything I said is based on my personal and limited experience! 😀

Edited by AntonioF
  • Like 1

Translucence

M3 | Sumarron 35/2.8 | Portra 400

Edited by plaidshirts
  • Like 17