I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

16 hours ago, A miller said:

A month or so I posted an iPhone image from about 1:30am from Dumbo in Brooklyn.  I had a vision of capturing this iconic scene with my 6x17 camera during the Hanukkah week in which the Empire State Building was illuminated like a candle, with colors that are complimentary to the surrounding buildings in the scene.  I went in the middle of the week to minimize the chance of coming across other human beings and moving cars.  But not too late because the ESB lights turn off at 2am every day.

I observed that the bottom half of the scene was significantly brighter than the top half and that if I was to have any chance of capturing details in the top part of the bridge I should use an ND grad filter.   So I threw on a 3 stop medium ND grad and did my best to take an average exposure reading (taking into account the effect of the ND grad).

The exposure time was over 6 minutes.  I was completely blown away by the detail in the top part of the scene that I couldn't even see with my naked eye, including - if you look closely - streak of stars running across the sky 😲.   It typically is so hard to see ANY stars over Manhattan given the amount of luminance from the buildings.  But the night sky was SO crystal clear and dark that I guess the stars were ripe for visibility.  

I probably could clone out the stars and am interested in thoughts regarding whether they should stay.  They look kind of odd :) but in that way also authentic (?) 

There were some straggling humans walking their dogs that passed by.  Even a car or two.  But the 6+ minute exposure washed them all away :)

The bottom line - Ektar is my hero 😍

Ektar (6x17) (1GB+) ♥️

180mm Schneider APO Symmar

Technorama 617s iii

Amazing photo Miller, It is perfect,  everything included and the stars to give more vibrations.

9 hours ago, AntonioF said:

When I bought the Sony A5100 as a scanning device, I re-scanned a few photos from a couple of years before. This is a pier on Lake Trasimeno (Central Italy).

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Tri-X and an orange filter

20180701-DSC00354 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

AntonioF,  very nice capture.

On 1/16/2019 at 12:33 PM, helged said:

Late evening at the old wharfs ("Bryggen") in downtown Bergen, Norway. Mamiya 7 w/43mm, Fuji Provia 100 F. Composite of two images (to get more people into the scene).

helgde,Beautiful composition, and can imagine without that motion, it has nothing much to talk about.

On 1/16/2019 at 4:36 PM, Doc Henry said:

... and for Cyril

KodaK TX400- Leica M-A-35 Summilux Asph

Paris in winter

Best H

Merici Bocoup Henry!

On 1/16/2019 at 4:43 PM, Doc Henry said:

One more for Cyril

Kodak TX400-Leica M-A-28 Summicron Asph

Best H

Thank you, Doc Henry. Beautiful and Quai de Seine is my best walk for photographic. I really missed it a lot.

21 hours ago, Ernest said:

Barrier Language: Tschichold Totem Trench
M-A APO 50mm & Nikon F2 Micro-Nikkor 55mm
ADOX Color Implosion & Ektachrome E100

Earnest Thank you, Great colors and a simplistic composition that any photographer can miss easily.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, philipus said:

Delightful Gary, well seen and executed. I would never have thought this was the 120 - it seems wider than that somehow.

You could very well be right Philip, and to be honest I had the same thoughts myself when I viewed and scanned.

My only thought is that I was using both the 503CXi, and the SWC while on holiday and likely using an A-12 with Portra 400 alongside an A-16 with Delta 100 (plus an A-24 with Agfa Vista 200, but that's another story). The roll of negs are "all" 503CXi/120 Planar, but it's not improbable that I hot swapped the magazine from the 503 to the SWC for this shot.

So, it could be the SWC as you elude.

Gary

• Thanks 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M6 - Super-Elmar 3,4/21 - TMAX400 in SpurHRX

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Blad 203Fe / 80mm Sonnar/ Tri-x 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

On the skyline.  M7, 50mm Summilux-M ASPH, HP5Plus, Rodinal.

A really excellent photograph Keith. All those fine details at right make me want to see it enlarged. 

4 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

This photo is from a series from some of my crazy, extreme photo adventures I  had photographing Mountains "Alpinists " and rock climbers. This is Alpes mountain range which is called   "Le Massive du Mont Blanc", Haût Savoir region  In France.  And this place is a White valley ( La Vallee Blanche - Chamonix ) the most beautiful region You must visit. I was very brave enough to carry my Medium format two lenses/ meters/ and a Canon EOS and a 50mm, a lot of films No tripod/ It is crazy when I think about it now. I get arthritis now.🙄  also, this photo has gone a long way and published several times and won some places in the photo publish and open the opportunity to show my motivation and enthusiasm. I am glad to share my commitment to analog photography here as we all share the same passion and unique mindset in this classic photo aspect. Enjoy the negative Photography. It is not dead at all.😀  Photo was taken during 1998- 1999 as I worked two years when I did this project.       Blad / 150mm Sonnar/ tri-x Home developed / Scanned on Imacon Blad scanner.                  

This is very dramatic Cyril, what a location. You've managed to show the majestic Alps in a terrific way.

• Thanks 1

More garden-bound image hunting.

Flickr
55 Micro Portra 160 (EI100) X1
  • Like 15

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Cyril Jayant:

This photo is from a series from some of my crazy, extreme photo adventures I  had photographing Mountains "Alpinists " and rock climbers. This is Alpes mountain range which is called   "Le Massive du Mont Blanc", Haût Savoir region  In France.  And this place is a White valley ( La Vallee Blanche - Chamonix ) the most beautiful region You must visit. I was very brave enough to carry my Medium format two lenses/ meters/ and a Canon EOS and a 50mm, a lot of films No tripod/ It is crazy when I think about it now. I get arthritis now.🙄  also, this photo has gone a long way and published several times and won some places in the photo publish and open the opportunity to show my motivation and enthusiasm. I am glad to share my commitment to analog photography here as we all share the same passion and unique mindset in this classic photo aspect. Enjoy the negative Photography. It is not dead at all.😀  Photo was taken during 1998- 1999 as I worked two years when I did this project.       Blad / 150mm Sonnar/ tri-x Home developed / Scanned on Imacon Blad scanner.              

ich finde keine Worte.......

• Like 3

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Cyril Jayant:

Cyril, this is one of the most amazing landscape photos which I have seen here in this forum. Really breathtaking! One of the photos which remains in my brain!

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:12 AM, Cyril Jayant said:

Very Photogenic City that vibrates always with celebrations.

It is a century for photographers. I always missed Paris 😪...

Blad 203Fe /60-120mm / Ilfod 400 /Home developped / Imacon Scanning.

Can't remember the last time a photograph was giving me vertigo, especially with Hitchcock nowhere in sight. The G-force here might be giving me a nose bleed! Golly Gee! Avoid cutting off the corner in a composition, Cyril. Well, you went straightaway to the hub of that argument. Bravo! I assume you got releases from all the riders, but I hope not while they were flying in the air. A gutsy ride, nonetheless; I count four lost souls by the empty seats, but thrill seekers do take risks knowingly. Long live the spirit of Jacques Henri Lartigue.

Cheers,
Rog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyril Jayant said:

This is another photo from a different perspective In positive Film. This is" La Valle Blanche" Chamonix - Mont Blanc. Although this place looks so wonderful and gorgeous the truth is it is one of the most dangerous places to hike or to do "SKY RANDONNER" and all people engaged in this walk they know they are playing a deadly game. 

My first shooting was quite disappointing as most of the films I shot failed due to the light reading go in the cameras got wrong. Then I had to use a handheld meter in manual and to learn how to compensate all lighting due to the brightly lit snow with. The lighting change amazingly on the mountain. 

The film used was Kodak Ektachrome E  and Blad / 150mm and 80mm Sonnar. 

Cyril, the real shot is you running ahead to capture this moment!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bag Tag Polyptych
M-A APO 50mm & Nikon F2 Micro-Nikkor 55mm
ADOX Color Implosion & E100

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Sounding Triptych
M-A APO 50mm
Ektachrome E100 & Portra 400

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2019 at 9:00 PM, SunnySixteen said:

Wow stunning! I say keep the star trails, it's cool!

On 1/16/2019 at 9:03 PM, gbealnz said:

Ditto, stars were there well before any of us, keep 'em.

Gary

23 hours ago, stray cat said:

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
- Oscar Wilde
Keep the stars. We should all aspire. Absolute killer picture.

20 hours ago, Bateleur said:

Technically an excellent image but more than that it has soul, the colours, the building elements and the inspired bridge design, but I get lost in those star trails. 

18 hours ago, MarkP said:

Very nice.

Now you know why I like night photography - so many surprises.

17 hours ago, philipus said:

Delightful Gary, well seen and executed. I would never have thought this was the 120 - it seems wider than that somehow. 

What a lovely scene Antonio, like a perfect black and white postcard. 

Congrats Adam, it turned out excellently. I can see the photo both with and without the stars. With the stars I would like them to be brighter by dodging them in Photoshop (in fact you could consider an even longer exposure with very dominant trails across the sky). The alternative is to clone them out and let the eyes feast on all the other cool things in the picture.

17 hours ago, Beresford said:

There is so much to like in this photograph. Look at those verticals at the edge of the picture: the work of a spirit level and a great lens; the colours and the details (individual bricks, the decoration on the cast iron work - goodness me! you can probably see the people in their apartments.)

Having said all that, I think I would clone out the star tracks. Photographers may marvel at the process in making this picture, but the star tracks might capture the viewer's attention so that s/he missed the overall scene. If something else were in the picture with the blur of movement then I would keep them, but as it stands most of the image gives the illusion of a moment instantly captured.

17 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

Absolutely brilliant work, Adam - perfectly composed and exposed.  Keep the star trails!

16 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Adam  SUPERB picture and color .... and with film the summit of beauty

Best H

15 hours ago, benqui said:

Really a very impressive photo Adam!  It is so three-dimensional with lucent colors. Since there are no people at all on the streets it almost looks like a scenery in a Film Studio. Concerning the stars it depends on your attitude: a hard core film Enthusiast would never ever clone them out. But on the other hand I would like to see it in a cloned version. I think without the stars you are aware of more details on the photo and you are not deviated by the bright stars.

9 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

Amazing photo Miller, It is perfect,  everything included and the stars to give more vibrations.

AntonioF,  very nice capture.

helgde,Beautiful composition, and can imagine without that motion, it has nothing much to talk about.

Merici Bocoup Henry!

Thank you, Doc Henry. Beautiful and Quai de Seine is my best walk for photographic. I really missed it a lot.

Earnest Thank you, Great colors and a simplistic composition that any photographer can miss easily.

Sincere thanks to everyone to took the time to provide your opinion.  I think I am going to make a test print of each version and stare at them for a while.  My instincts tell me that the version with the stars will appeal mostly to the film jocks.  But I could be wrong!  Thanks again!! 

17 hours ago, EoinC said:

Love it, Adam! I can see what I've been missing...

Thanks a lot, Eoin.  We have missed you!!!

17 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

On the skyline.  M7, 50mm Summilux-M ASPH, HP5Plus, Rodinal.

This is really good, Keith.  Very nicely composed and the contrast works well.

11 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

Cyril - This is clearly a 10 out of 10.  Ansel Adams would be proud.  Scratch that - he would be jealous!!  You have very good film friends here who will appreciate your work and gain inspiration from it that will help grow our own photography.  Thanks in advance for the joy!

6 hours ago, joergel said:

Leica M6 - Super-Elmar 3,4/21 - TMAX400 in SpurHRX

Very good, Joerg.  I see so many photos of with camera pointed straight up that simply don't work.  This works very well.  

• Thanks 1