I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I took this photo with Leica M4-P and Summicron 50mm. My challenge for this photo was the exposure where the sky in Toronto is just consisted of grey colour. Any decrease on shutter speed would make the sky overexposure. Please give me your critique,

Thanks 2b085489e020035b561368241e740fb8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I think I would rather see details in the shadows of the street than elements of the sky which in itself is less important in this framing. 

While I appreciate the details in the sky, I don't think I would miss them if they were clipped. 

My 2 cents. 

cheers. 

• Like 2

Thank you Wayne. I am grateful that you too the time to write. I'm also a big fan of the 80 Planar. I know it's just a "kit lens" in some respects, but it's a pretty amazing one at that. What I like in particular is that it is just wide enough and just long enough for many types of photography.

Second shot is spectacular. There are certain photographs, and the second is one of them, rendered by Zeiss Planar lens configuration that, for me, show how truly unique the lenses are. The only way I can describe it is a bit of wonderment. When I view 3D images, I am fascinated by them, but never fail to note the artificial. The Planar, in certain images, seems to capture it without the distraction of the obviously artificial.

I really enjoy your photos from your trip Pritam. This one is a great reportage style photo that puts us there with the woman. 

Stoking the fire at the brick kiln. Kampong Chhnang, Cambodia.

attachicon.gifStoking.jpg

T-Max 100

Thanks for posting. I also wouldn't have missed the details in the sky and would have exposed for the building and the car. 

I took this photo with Leica M4-P and Summicron 50mm. My challenge for this photo was the exposure where the sky in Toronto is just consisted of grey colour. Any decrease on shutter speed would make the sky overexposure. Please give me your critique,

• Like 2

Any decrease on shutter speed would make the sky overexposure. Please give me your critique,

Thanks

Looks simply underexposed, about 1 or 2 f-stops. Film isn't digital. There is (nearly) always definition in the highlights.

Negative film should be exposed for the shadows and slide film and digital on the highlights.

my 2 Ct

• Like 2

Vespa! Nothing more to say!

I should clean and wash mine ...

Leica M6, Canon LTM 50/1.4, Fomapan 400, HC-110 dil B

40122523971_0df9c6d948_b.jpg

20180204-02042018DSCF1086 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

It makes me think of my time in Gaeta. Now I am hungry. :)

I think the Foma films are fantastic. This is perfect.

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1

It makes me think of my time in Gaeta. Now I am hungry. :)

I think the Foma films are fantastic. This is perfect.

Best,

Wayne

Rub it in...........

It is truly strange that a vehicle should make one think of cheese, but I'm my case.....it is so. :)

• Like 1

haljaberi, welcome. You could approach this from a different perspective. What is the picture about? If it's primarily about the sky, I'm not getting that from the composition. So the sky goes down in the pecking order of your considerations. I suspect the most critical point of your picture (the subject if you like) is the man standing outside the restaurant. But he's not standing out at all in the current picture - in fact he's kind of lost in a bit of a murky grey mush. So expose for him. How? Put your hand in similar light to where he's standing and meter off your palm. Simiar light could mean a doorway on your side of the street. Normally you'd then increase exposure by one stop for light skin, but in this case I'd just use the reading you get off your palm to retain some sense that it's a little dark there. Et voila! The beauty of film is that it will take care of the rest. The sky will be bright, but then again the sky IS bright compared to the other elements in the picture - and, once you've decided that the sky isn't all that important to the picture, you can happily let it go. Try this next time you're out with some film in your camera. If then it still doesn't work - if you're still not getting the balance of picture that you want - then adjust in whichever way you think it needs and try it a third time.

• Like 5

I agree with the comment that the scene probably could have used at least a full extra stop of light.  But I also don't think it is underexposed beyond repair.  It is just a really flat scan.  You can easily blacken the blacks without blowing out the whites and achieve a much better level of contrast w/o loss of too much shadow detail... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks

Simply fantastic, Brendan.  Love seeing your photos from around the world.

Yashica Mat 124G, FP4, D76:

Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

• Like 6

Guest Nowhereman

Manager of a lychee plantation at Wiang Pa Pao,  Chiangrai  Province, Thailand. As mentioned earlier, one of the last plantations that has not uprooted the beautiful lychee trees, because of falling production yields owing to global warming. At this plantation the yearly crop was 30 tons. This year there is almost nothing, and the bulk of the lychee trees are scheduled to be uprooted and replaced by mangoes and a new variety of pomelo — one that has some sourness, rather than all sweetness.

M3 | DR Summicron 50 | Portra 400

40092262642_be7298060d_o.jpg

Wiang Pa Pao

Just following up my post of a week or so ago, thinking about the possibilty that Color Implosion might be introduced again, I heard back from Adox last night. Here is firstly my query:

Hi,
I tried to post this question yesterday but for some reason the content was wiped out. I’ll try again!
Having read your response to a question by Niall a few months ago, that you are no longer able to produce color film at the facility that produced the original Color Implosion, I wonder when you will be able to produce a color film, and whether you have plans to produce anything like Color Implosion.
I belong to a group at the Leica User Forum who post in a thread called “I Like Film” where we discuss the different types of film and show examples. I can say confidently that Adox Color Implosion has a very enthusiastic following there – in fact I think among us that we have probably bought up all the remaining stocks! We value it, I think, for it’s wonderful grain and subdued colors, the way red is reproduced, and an overall look and feel that is not available with any other film. In thoughtful hands, this film makes a wonderful tool for the fine art photographer.
So, on behalf of at least that group of people, I’d be interested to learn if you have any plans to post-process anything that will be anything like Color Implosion. I’m sure there are many others who’d be interested to learn the same.
Thank you and best regards,
Phil Wright

and their response:

Mirko Böddecker Staff answered 16 hours ago

I wonder when you will be able to produce a color film
This question has been asked numerous times in various places. Colorfilm is currently produced by two players putting out this product at rock bottom prices on writen off machines in written off buildings and using written off technology and staff trained more than 20 years ago. It is prohibitive to enter this market from the outside. Even under the above circumstances the two players cannot make money (Fuji lives of Instax and Kodak of the movie industry). Thus there will be no one entering the color film market as long as this situation remains. A possible exemption is Film Ferrania because they have inherited the technology and (more important) stock of raw materials from which they can make film. But this project also need external financing and is progressing rather slowly.

So the answer for ADOX is: Not as long as a roll of color film costs less than 10 USD
We do have plans to post process other color material and make a new creative film but it will not be the same as Color Implosion and this stock will be limited as well because currently no color film is supplied at all by either Fuji or Kodak to third parties.

So there you go - it sounds from this as though colour film is only just hanging on at all. I guess our best bet is to buy it, shoot it and keep it ticking over.

• Like 8

Just following up my post of a week or so ago, thinking about the possibilty that Color Implosion might be introduced again, I heard back from Adox last night. Here is firstly my query:

Hi,

I tried to post this question yesterday but for some reason the content was wiped out. I’ll try again!

Having read your response to a question by Niall a few months ago, that you are no longer able to produce color film at the facility that produced the original Color Implosion, I wonder when you will be able to produce a color film, and whether you have plans to produce anything like Color Implosion.

I belong to a group at the Leica User Forum who post in a thread called “I Like Film” where we discuss the different types of film and show examples. I can say confidently that Adox Color Implosion has a very enthusiastic following there – in fact I think among us that we have probably bought up all the remaining stocks! We value it, I think, for it’s wonderful grain and subdued colors, the way red is reproduced, and an overall look and feel that is not available with any other film. In thoughtful hands, this film makes a wonderful tool for the fine art photographer.

So, on behalf of at least that group of people, I’d be interested to learn if you have any plans to post-process anything that will be anything like Color Implosion. I’m sure there are many others who’d be interested to learn the same.

Thank you and best regards,

Phil Wright

and their response:

Mirko Böddecker Staff answered 16 hours ago

I wonder when you will be able to produce a color film

This question has been asked numerous times in various places. Colorfilm is currently produced by two players putting out this product at rock bottom prices on writen off machines in written off buildings and using written off technology and staff trained more than 20 years ago. It is prohibitive to enter this market from the outside. Even under the above circumstances the two players cannot make money (Fuji lives of Instax and Kodak of the movie industry). Thus there will be no one entering the color film market as long as this situation remains. A possible exemption is Film Ferrania because they have inherited the technology and (more important) stock of raw materials from which they can make film. But this project also need external financing and is progressing rather slowly.

So the answer for ADOX is: Not as long as a roll of color film costs less than 10 USD

We do have plans to post process other color material and make a new creative film but it will not be the same as Color Implosion and this stock will be limited as well because currently no color film is supplied at all by either Fuji or Kodak to third parties.

So there you go - it sounds from this as though colour film is only just hanging on at all. I guess our best bet is to buy it, shoot it and keep it ticking over.

Thanks, Phil, very insightful.  Really appreciate you sharing.

• Like 1

So the answer for ADOX is: Not as long as a roll of color film costs less than 10 USD.

Very interesting statements of Mirko not only limited to that particular one. Thanks for sharing Phil Edited by Tmx
  • Like 1